Virtual Reality! The phrase alone is enough to bring chills to even the most callused of gamers. Ever since the idea was first hatched in the 1950’s and 60’s and then later made popular in movies such as Tron, The Lawnmower Man and The Matrix it has been imagined by many to be the pinnacle of interactive entertainment. Certainly, today’s gaming technology with its super high-resolution textures, ever-advancing pixel shading techniques and realistic physics make for one hell of a gaming experience but at the end of the day, it’s still navigating through a pretty world a few feet from your face using your mouse and keyboard with a subwoofer thumping away on the tip of your feet. Wouldn’t it be better to be inside that world even to the point where your actions, and the actions of your avatar, are at one with each other?
While we are still a few years from being plugged into a chair and given the ability to be taught virtually the ways of 17th century Shaolin monks, there are products out there which are attempting to bring the VR experience to the everyday gamer. Enter the Vuzix iWear VR920; a light weight, stereoscopic 3D head mounted display unit with integrated head-tracking, stereo headphones and microphone, and all for under $500.
– 6-foot slim single-cable design with USB and VGA connectors.
– Large field-of-view optics to allow a fully immersive experience.
– iWear® 3D enabled for automatic 2D/3D control; no buttons required.
– Built-in microphone allows users to communicate from anywhere in the world as if they are standing next to each other.
– Integrated 3 DOF head-tracker lets users look around inside of virtual worlds as if they are actually there.
– Removable, integrated speakers (no clumsy uncomfortable earbuds) can be upgraded or removed to allow the user to plug in their own headsets.
– AccuTilt® viewer pivots up to 15 degrees for comfortable viewing angle.
– Soft, comfortable, hypo-allergenic nosepiece extends up to 3/8".
– Custom fit head strap for extra secure fit.
– Twin high-resolution 640×480 (920,000 pixels) LCD displays
– Equivalent to a 62” screen viewed at 9 feet
– 24-bit true color (16 million colors)
– Visor weighs 3.2 ounces
– 60 Hz progressive scan display update rates
– Fully iWear® 3D compliant and supports NVIDIA stereo drivers
– Built-in noise-canceling microphone for internet VOIP communications
– Built-in 3 degree of freedom head-tracker
– USB connectivity for power, tracking and full duplex audio
– Analog VGA monitor input
– Support for up to 1024×768 VGA video formats
– Windows XP & Vista (32-bit) compatible ( Degree of compatibility may vary by application title)