AC97 and legacy audio drivers?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by trevbushell, Apr 10, 2005.

1. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

can anyone tell me what these drivers are?
    i have them in hardware

'realtek AC97' and 'legacy audio'

i have a celeron mbd is one a windows driver and one the onboard mbd driver if so which ones. im having audio probs and want to delete any audio drivers that arent my aps and kx ones?

thanx in advance
    trev

2. jiiteepee

jiiteepee Active Member

Hi

Realtek AC97' is your Onboard sound device (if you do not need it, you can disable it from BIOS/DM and remove it's drivers).
    There may be onboard MIDI and game controllers too you can remove, if you do not need them.

'Legacy audio' may stay.

jiitee

3. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

thanks v much! have removed now in bios. so i'll keep legacy, are they windows then.

i still have cpu problem. see prev thread in the topic discussion titled CPU problem!! maybe you can help me?

its basically... when i startup and load a audio prog like fruityloops the cpu is fine when not playing the song ( 12%). when i play a song its fine(say 40%). after a bit ,5 mins or sometimes quicker or longer the cpu goes up to 100% and cant cope.
    when i stop the song playing the cpu is 30% as oppossed to only 12% before the problem occurs whnen the song isnt being played! this will not resolve unless i retsart the copmuter, and even then sometimres the problem is there straight away!!
    ?????? any idea?

IF YOU CAN HELP COULD YOU POST ON TNE OTHER THREAD AND I'll DELETE THIS ONE.
    thanks in advance

4. sadcafe

sadcafe New Member

This is purely a guess, but it sounds to me like you have not a lot of memory, possibly combined with poor Hard-Disk performance. CPU usually ramps up when virtual memory kicks in.

When you stop playing and the CPU sticks at 30%, is the hard-disk still busy on your PC? If so, try waiting for a few minutes to see if it stops. If so, I rather suspect you need to do some tweaking in the memory/hdd performance departments (e.g. do you have DMA/UDMA enabled etc)

Like I say, I'm purely guessing. Any other suggestions to this problem???

5. Russ

Russ New Member

Yes, defragging your hardrive and optimizing your system could help. Additionally, you may want to disable any power saving modes, and if you have an anti-virus software running, you might try disabling it temporaily to see if it makes any difference (A/V system scan can be a big performance hit). If you disabled on-board sound in the bios, I would also try removing the legacy audio drivers to see if Windows is still seeing any of that hardware, etc. You said you mb was replaced a couple times, was Windows reinstalled along with it? If not, that could be a problem, as it doesn't always redetect all the hardware correctly, and could leave behind lots of stuff in the registry, etc.

6. Russ

Russ New Member

BTW: You may also want to tweak your BIOS. There are some general guides available on the internet that explain what the various settings in the BIOS do, and offer tips to improve performace. i.e. You may try different PCI latency settings, if there is an option for that in your BIOS. Things like SMART monitoring of your hard drives can slow down hard drive access, etc. There may be options to set the IRQ's for your PCI slots (so that they are not shared), etc. Make sure your BIOS is configured properly for your CPU and memory, etc (the default settings are not always correct).

7. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

ok... thanks for those hints guys, great to have yur help.

Russ-"'defragging your hardrive and optimizing your system could help'"- ive done this. both the mbd and processor are new, since having them replaced. there are limited progs on the comp and ive disabled the virus and firewall progs i have to no effect.

i will try remove legacy drivers.... do i do this in hardware, as they are not in BIOS?

'"Make sure your BIOS is configured properly for your CPU and memory, etc (the default settings are not always correct).'"- ....ugh:duh:, way above my head, dont think i would be able yo do this, no idea what the best settings would be. thanx for that anyway.

sadcafe-"CPU usually ramps up when virtual memory kicks in. "- ok thats interesting! how can i monitor this virtual memory and see if the prob happens then?
    sadcafe-when the cpu goes up- it stays up UNTILL i restart the comp. then the cpu will be 12% with afrutiy song loaded in but not playing. it goes up to 30% after about 2 mins, It goes down to 0% when i shut fruity or cubase but as soon as i load any of them again it goes up to 30%. wierd eh?
    sadcafe-hard drive is dma enabled its a new one. heres my stuff; the amount of memory i have should be fine, ive got 512mb ram in a pentium celeron d 2.8 processor, the hd is fine i think?. should really be not having problems should i? or am i wrong?

CPU Type Intel Celeron D, 2800 MHz (21 x 133)
    Motherboard Name Foxconn 661M03-G (3PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)
    Motherboard Chipset SiS 661FX
    System Memory 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)
    Display: Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce FX5500 (256 MB)
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y080P0 (80GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

8. Russ

Russ New Member

As for the legacy drivers, I mainly mean any drivers related to your on-board sound (legacy audio drivers). I would probably remove anything under Sound, Video, and Game controllers that is not related to your SoundBlaster. BTW: BIOS is the hardware itself (low level driver stuff, you would just disable/configure stuff here), and the drivers would be in Windows (that you would remove after disabling the hardware in the BIOS, if Windows does not do it automatically).

If you are having problems with virtual memeory, you might try using a custom size instead of letting Windows manage it. A setting of 3 times the amount of RAM you have usually works good.

As for the BIOS, it usually auto-detects a CPU correctly, but not always memory speed, and thus it may use a slower setting then the actual memory speed, and other settings may not be optimal. Hopefully whoever installed your new mobo, setup your BIOS correctly for your hardware. My system is getting a little dated, so maybe the newer systems/newer BIOS's use better default settings, and do a better job at detecting the hardware.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  9. Russ

Russ New Member

BTW: There are benchmarking utilities, etc, that can test parts of your system and show you problem areas, and even offer tips for Windows settings and BIOS settings to help improve performance (you might try something like the Lite version of SiSoft Sandra).

10. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

ok, thanks, i have fiddled with the virtual memory a bit already. i set both to 1000, that didnt help. at the mo ive got min at 100 and max at 1000 ( im not at home so think thats right). no improvement.

the onboard sound was 'AC97 realtek' and ive definatly removed these, and all the drivers, i think legacy is a wins thing?

a friend set up my comp, and dont think he lookd into BIOs for memory speed. ill look into that on the internet see what i can find re best settings ?

i might try si soft too..... i already have tried lots of progs like this and no help yet1

11. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

mmm, just read your thread again

"You said you mb was replaced a couple times, was Windows reinstalled along with it?"..... this is nteresting, i dont think we did redo the wins xp, as we just unplugged the h.d installed the mbd and proc and plugged it all back in. maybe thats the prob?
    might need to try new install of xp.

12. Russ

Russ New Member

When you do a complete change of hardware like that (completely different mobo), it is always a good idea to do a clean install of Windows. (A reinstall (i.e. upgrade install) could help, but a clean install is better as you will get a nice clean new registry, etc).

13. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

thanx will try out. do you think my comp has enough power to be able to run the more intensive fruity loops songs without probs or not?

14. Russ

Russ New Member

Sorry, I do not know anyhting about Fruity Loops so I would not be the one to ask about that.

15. trevbushell

trevbushell New Member

thanks anyway .. and for your help so far.