Already ... Hidden Taskbar...

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Dyre Straits, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

This popup message is getting to be quite annoying. Due to having the five screens, apparently, when I start up from sleep, I get a message on screen that there is already a hidden taskbar on this screen...you can have only one hidden taskbar per screen.

Not only does it do this, but, it also resets my "Automatically hide taskbar...." setting....which requires I go into settings and reset it.

I've noticed this situation having been posted back to the days of XP....maybe even earlier. But, it only started up in about the last couple of months. And, it does NOT happen every single time. BUT, it is happening more often now.

Can anyone shed light on the WHY? and the Wherefore to get it fixed?

2. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

Have no clue as to your issue, never run more than one screen with hidden taskbar activated. My problem is rather that sometimes I can't get it to popup when I want to without going alt-ctr-del and open the task manager.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Ideas:
    - Around the time this started, did you install any new software that added a taskbar icon?
    - Try turning off Notifications
    - Try switching your primary monitor to one of the other 4
    - Are you extending the display across all the monitors, or running it in clone mode? Have you tried switching the mode to something else (ie. extended to clone, or clone to extended)?

4. Dyre Straits

Extending Desktop to all monitors...with the 4K screen as the primary. I also have the 5th monitor connected to the onboard Intel GPU. And, due to the fact that this monitor only starts up after using the remote....it's not HDMI activated...I usually click the remote to get it on at the time I start up the system from sleep.

There are, so far, no new taskbar icons.

5. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

There is a feature in Windows (Taskbar specific properties) to have the taskbar show up on every display, even extended. If it's off you could try enabling it, but it sounds like you have it turned on, and it's conflicting with something. My guess it's the Intel drivers. I can't recall exactly but I'm sure it has it's own taskbar related setting too.

So, what I would try is to run with just the 4 monitors, and disconnect the one connected to the onboard Intel.

It could also be just as simple as turning off the option to show the Intel icon on the taskbar (via the settings within the Intel taskbar item, not via the Windows option to hide the icon), so that's another option to try too.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  6. Dyre Straits

I just tried something...and, the popup didn't happen this time. I'll keep you posted on if this is the "fix" or not.

7. Dyre Straits

Sooooo....after three starts from sleep mode, I haven't seen my annoyance again. Here's what I've been doing differently:

I let the 4 screens connected to my Radeon card wake up first and get the Desktop situated.

THEN...I start the Intel-connected HDTV and let the 5 screens reset again. IF this IS the correction, then I'm led to believe that a 5th "ghost" taskbar was being created prior to the HDTV actually being activated. I had been clicking the Power button for it on the remote at the same time I was pressing the spacebar on my PC's keyboard.

We'll see if this is actually the fix for the situation.

8. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

So, any more news on this issue? Is it recurring?

Dyre Straits likes this.
  9. Dyre Straits

As long as I don't activate the Intel-connected monitor until after the AMD-connected monitors have been, it's not an issue. When this was happening, when I came in to bring the monitors out of sleep, I would immediately ALSO press the remote to activate the Intel-connected monitor. (It would turn off, not go into sleep...which I can likely adjust.)

So, the issue no longer exists as long as I proceed as described. :)

Calliers likes this.
  10. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Glad to hear it. :)