1. The Dark Forum Skin... It's ALIVE!!!!!

AMD GFX Card Manufacturers

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by CDsDontBurn, Apr 19, 2012.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

Of all the big ones out there, who would you guys say are the biggest? Who would you guys say is the best?
  2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Count 'em, 9 Grandkids!

I've been very pleased with XFX. Their support, to me, is tops!

I'm sure, though, that many will say Sapphire. But, I've never owned one made by them.
  3. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Senior Editor Staff Member

Sapphire are the biggest manufacturer of AMD cards (they have the capacity to make 2m parts per month or something crazy like that).

The best tends to be very much down to preference, take your pick from Sapphire, XFX and PowerColor really. Then again the likes of ASUS, MSI and Gigabyte make some excellent custom cards too.
  4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I've had 4 AMD/ATI cards from 4 different manufacturers, but my experience helps me little in answering your questions as I was happy with all of them. :)

I think that there has been a shift over the last year or two. Sapphire used to be synonymous with the best you could get ATI-wise, I'm not sure that they are quite there any more. Also, I don't remember seeing anything too exciting from HIS recently. That's not to say they'd gone bad, I just don't have the impression that they are at the very top any more.

PowerColor seems to be the most creative and trying hardest to offer the widest range of cards at the moment: factory overclocks, custom high performance cooling, single slot cooling of normally dual slot cooled cards, passive cards, low profile cards... I've got one made by them and I'm very satisfied. :)

Twin Frozr / HAWK cards from MSI are also pretty impressive. While I'm not sure it's relevant any more, I also own a card by them. Originally, the 9800Pro was DOA, but the replacement is alive and kicking 8 years on.

XFX seems pretty good as well.

ASUS has fantastic limited editions, but their more normal cards don't impress me so much.

I also owned a Gigabyte. Great value, efficient custom cooler, but very loud at all times, the loudest card I've ever owned (and it was just a mid range model, a 4670). It didn't bother me most of the time, I quite enjoyed it for a year and a half and then re-sold it, so a positive experience.

That about sums my impressions up. I think that we're fortunate enough that there are no truly bad manufacturers, just some that make slightly better custom designs than others. :)
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  5. CDsDontBurn

Have any of you had to speak with support from any of these companies? If so, what was it like? Was it a good experience bad experience, etc.?

If an RMA had been submitted, how was that like?
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

For me.. Sapphire has been the most reliable and friendly to work with Manufacturer of AMD/ATI Cards.... plus they tend to set the standards for the final referrence and changed cards... they lead in the "new" functionality and features that are pretty unique... the FLEX series for example having a unique capability.

Having owned almost every manufacturer of card (or i should say owned/sold) and have seen the lifespans of them, failure rates through my own hands.... So far My luck with MSI and Gigabyte cards isn't very good.

Asus's are fairly decent.. i'd say "fair".. with some of their card designs being totally HORRIFIC and they should really feel terrible for the idiocy.... seriously a midrange card or some higher end cards that are a 2 slot design but using a fan/heatsink system that blocks the ability to insert a card into the 3rd slot.... cmon that should have NEVER HAPPENED...

the most idiotic example is the 3670's i picked up that weren't crazy at all, but would block the 3rd slot but about 1/8th of an inch or more... making it impossible to insert the card...

Warranties.... provided you don't have a fight with getting shipping sorted with Asus... for example...... is pretty good.... gigabyte/power color/msi however are NOT reliable in that sense for the few i've handled..... Sapphire is brilliant and wins gold imo.

Out of all the Cards, i don't think i've had a single HIS failure yet. And i've used/sold a lot of those...... could be just a good luck draw .... i think i've had 2 sapphire failures since 2006....
  7. Dyre Straits

XFX has their support set for online service. When you register your card, your support ticket is created to that card's ID. If you have any problems, just sign in and go to that ticket.

I've had a few times where I had questions. Almost all of these actually ended up being AMD drivers problems...not XFX problems.

I've been so pleased, I've come to prefer XFX for my cards.

And, I've been able to sell some of my previous XFX cards and the warranty is painlessly transferred to the new owner.
  8. CDsDontBurn

I heard that XFX is dropping their double-lifetime warranty service though. I guess that only applies to new products. I'm guessing with the 7xxx series products and newer?
  9. Dyre Straits

That very well could be. I haven't checked into it recently. I do know that the last card I sold, a HD 6870, was successfully transferred to the new owner without any problems. So, you may well be right about the newer products. It wouldn't surprise me at all.
  10. Judas

the Display port issue and active/passive adapters and the frequent bleh issues related to it.... were determined to be a hardware problem with the display port itself.. not driver related.

This was problematic on both sapphire/HIS and Asus 5770's that i had.. however i found that the 5850's didn't exhibit this issue pointing to a hardware manufacturing error or implementation issue.

What i thought were display port adapters or driver related issues were pretty much confirmed to be something else.

Since moving to the 6950 full time, i've not ONCE had a display port issue that plagued me previously. Although unfortunately the screen tearing issue that effects all the 6xxx is irritating.
  11. Dyre Straits

@Judas: I'm reading elsewhere that this screen tearing issue in Eyefinity is due to using different connections. They say to avoid this, every display must be connected using DisplayPort. Although, those DP Hubs are MIA.

Perhaps using a video card with DP-only would take care of it, too.
  12. Judas

If they made a damn video card with say 3 or 5 display ports on it.. i'd be all over it.... there really is a total lack of reason why they can't stick 3 full sized display ports on a single video card... lots of room for it. shit they could fit 3 mini dp's where the bottom dvi port is.... get rid of the 2nd dvi port and just slap a single DVI/HDMI and then 5 display ports
  13. CDsDontBurn

I heard that some manufacturers will put out a 6 port Mini-Display Port version of the 7870. Dunno how soon though.