ATI Radeon HD 3200 Performance

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by toothman, Oct 5, 2008.

1. toothman

toothman New Member

Recently I've bought a new HP laptop because my old Lenovo broke (motherboard fried twice in 6 months, second time was out of warranty).

Specs:
    AMD Turion X2 64 Dual Core 2.0 GHz
    Radeon HD 3200 graphics card, 256 MB dedicated video memory, up to 1405 MB shared video memory
    3 GB RAM
    250 GB HDD, 5400 RPM
    Vista Home

You would think with a machine like this, I would get more than an average of 25-35 FPS on World of Warcraft with all the graphic settings on minimum. My old laptop had a T7500 Core 2 Duo processor, 2 GB ram, nVidia quadro NVS140m and I was averaging 45-60 FPS with medium settings.

I have tried putting the power themes on high performance, I have tried updating the latest video drivers, I have tried updating to the latest directX10, I even downloaded the AMD Fusion for Gaming Beta software. None of which had any effect whatsoever. I really rather not resort to using the AMD Overdrive tools to overclock my GPU and CPU to squeeze more performance out of a 4-year-old outdated game. So if anyone could help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

P.S. This is an HP laptop, and HP is notorious for locking up 99% of their BIOS which prevents me from turning off Cool N' Quiet for my AMD processor. I was told that putting the power theme on High Performance would turn off CnQ automatically so this shouldn't be the problem.
  2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

one very important piece of advice to you, the HD3200 is a GPU thats integrated to the chipset so OCing is not recommended.
  3. dmso12

dmso12 New Member

I'm afraid you did not buy a gaming laptop. I have nearly the same one as you (hp 6735b) and its performance with most fps / 3d-intensive games has been choppy. older games and thinking people's games run fine. I would suggest maxing out memory if you can, but don't expect high end performance.

I'm told that the performance stems from the efficient processor and the integrated video. I bought this laptop to be used at both home and work for work purposes, and I model protein structures - that's where I noticed the performance difference to my older hp nc8230.

good luck