1. The Dark Forum Skin... It's ALIVE!!!!!

Audigy 2 ZS digital out (minijack) pinout

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MZN, Jun 12, 2005.

1. MZN

MZN New Member

I'd like to connect Audigy 2 ZS to DDTS-100 throught digital connection. For that I should make 4 pole minijack to RCA adaptor. How I understand, Audigy 2 ZS has 6 channel digital out. So, I need in Audigy 2 ZS digital out (minijack) pinout.
  2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy? Staff Member

tip is front left/right spdif
    1st ring is rear left/right spdif
    2nd ring is sub/center spdif
    sleeve is ground
  3. MZN

MZN New Member

Thanks.
    So, I need in mono minijack with a long tip. It's hard to find.
  4. dj_stick

no you need a four pole minijack - if your spdif receiver supports RCA inputs, then a "Camcorder cable" is perfect for your - it has a fourpole stereo jack and 3X RCA on the end
  5. MZN

MZN New Member

Receiver is Creative DDTS-100. Camcorder cable has three RCA connectors. Which one I should to connect to receiver?

Now I begin to think that may be easier solution is to use extension card with optical and coaxil output, which should be connected to correwspondent pins of AD_EXT connector on sound card as it described in near by thread.

Anyway, any your suggestions will be appreciated.
  6. dj_stick

ahh if the receiver only has one digital input, then use the white connector

you will only get stereo sound however
  7. MZN

MZN New Member

Thanks again. I feel, that I'm far from complete understanding.

Recever has 3 digital coaxial inputs, but they coudn't be used simultaneously.
    Does it means, that I can't to have normal digital output from Audigy 2 ZS digital minijack using camcorder cable?
    What about hand made 4 pole minijack to RCA adapter? I supposed, that if I connect all 3 sound poles, it should be OK. Does it wrong? But even if it's true, it is very difficult to find 3.5 mm 4 pole minijack, or mono minijack with a "long tip".
    So, now solution by expansion card using looks more acceptable. Here is another problem - I have no free expansion slots in the case.
  8. dj_stick

a standard mono jack to RCA lead will work, but you will only have standard SPDIF, which is stereo

if your receive can only use one input at a time you need an AC3 encoder like the nForce's Soundstorm, otherwise you are stuck with 2.0 stereo
  9. MZN

MZN New Member

I don't like have stereo only, or use one more encoder.
    So, for full digital output, I have two alternatives:
    1. Hand made 4 pole minijack to RCA adapter
    2. Expansion card using.

OK, I go to find one of them,

Thanks
  10. dj_stick

no, the 4pole to single RCA will result in NO sound.
    and the expansion board, UNLESS it encodes AC3, which is highly unlikely you are stuck with stereo
  11. MZN

MZN New Member

OK, but what's the signal on the Creative Audigy ZS digital output?
    If I understand you correct, it has a some kind of proprietary output.
    But If I use Platimun drive, all should be OK. Here I'm try to exchange Platinum drive by some more compact device.
    I feel, that I'm confused.
  12. dj_stick

the signal is standard SPDIF

NO Audigy sound card has anything more than stereo output via digital UNLESS the source was pre-encoded, aka DVD
  13. MZN

MZN New Member

OK, I give it signal (standard SPDIF) to my DECODER. I read all Creative manuals (DDTS-100 decoder and Audigy 2 ZS), and I do not see problem. My be decoder pre-encodes signal by itself?
    Moreover, I used that decoder with digital output from Prodigy 7.1 (also standard spdif), and all was OK.

I try to make clear situation.
    My soundcard and speakers connected through DDTS-100 decoder.
    1. For regular (not DVD-audio) music I'm use analog connection. Without any pre-processing (both decoder and soundcard can do that) I have stereo output.
    2. For games I use the analog connection too. For games without any internal surround suppot, I have the same as in 1.
    3. For DVDs I'd like to use digital connection. For that case all connections
    (camcorder cable, minijack mono, expansion card) should give surround sound.

Is that correct?
  14. dj_stick

ah in your case, a single mono jack to RCA lead will be sufficient for DVD
  15. MZN

MZN New Member

I made expansion card. It works as you described? thanks. Cable mono minijack to RCA works too. And I have another questions.
    1. Are SPDIF signals on all rings of 4 pole minijack the same, or different? I think last...
    2. What mean SPDIF1, SPDIF2, and SPDIF3 pins of AD_EXT connector on sound card? I suspect they have same meaning as rings on minijack, but what's this meaning exactly?
  16. dj_stick

Tip:SPDIF1:front
    Ring1:SPDIF 2:rear
    ring2:SPDIF 3:sub/center