Audigy 2 ZS or Onboard Soundchip?

Discussion in 'PAX Download - Audigy Series' started by Timianbruck, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Timianbruck

Timianbruck New Member

Hello,

after years of using the Onboard Soundchip Realtek ALC888S/ ALC885 of my mainboard i wonder if it's now time to use my Audigy 2 ZS again? Back in 2009 there were no good drivers for my new Windows 7 system.

So, how good are your drivers? I know the Audigy 2 ZS is technically better then my Onboard but how good are the drivers and software now?

So, thx for your answer!

Regards

Timian

2. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

I have exactly the same question.
    It has been about 2 year when I last tried these drivers. I hope they are better now.
    I just need working sound and microphone on a Win7 64 Bit system.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Question... are you using Analog audio connections?

If you are using pure digital (fiber/toslinks/spdif/coax) or the superior HDMI digital (LPCM multi channel) Then using any sound card has absolutely NO advantages UNLESS the onboard doesn't have DDL or DTS-CONNECT but the add in one you selected does.

In the case of HDMI... hdmi wins.. all the time... period, UNLESS you are running some seriously crazy old style insanity setup which lets face it.. 99.999% of people aren't likely to have even touched the stuff (major studio grade stuff)

Honestly though.... I've seen far to many systems in which people have been using a digital connection using add in and it's actually been worse than their onboard or simply using the direct HDMI connection to their receivers from the onboard or dedicated GPU. Still that myth going around of onboard being "superior" in all aspects. Like I said.. in terms of analog or in the rare case of DDL/DTS-Connect being only on the add-in... and ignoring HDMI... that would be true.

4. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Oh sorry, this is a misunderstanding.
    I wasn't asking whether a dedicated sound chip is better than the current onboard sound.

Some years ago there were serious problems with the Audigy 2 ZS and Windows 7 64 Bit on system with more than 4 GB RAM. Microphone had stutters and couldn't be used at all. That was because of the lacking 64 bit support.

Daniel_K and kX never completely solved this problem. I wanted to know if PAX is any better now.

5. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Your welcome try them going updated the testing set for it tomorrow afternoon since tweaks are perfect now.

6. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Ok, I tried them. Microphone seems to work for now.

My problem is that i have only Audioconsole. I need a way to send certain frequencies to my sub. Creative offered some tools for that back in XP. Can PAX drive set these settings too? And how do you set all these other settings like distance for each speaker or noise suppression.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  7. T3rm1

T3rm1 New Member

Ok, it looks like it's not possible. My subwoofer is not working at all because of the missing crossover feature.
    I'm really surprised that such a key feature is missing. The driver is completely useless to me :(
    Good effort on the suite though. I'm sure other cards are working fine with it. Too bad mine isn't.

8. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

no audigy series very much dead time for get xfi card.