Auto reboot Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Not sure why but a desktop PC with windows 8.1 just auto reboots every couple of minutes.
    Suggestions?

2. Trusteft

I noticed that the lights on the keyboard and mouse go off one after the other and then the machine reboots.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

Overheating? Power Supply? Memory Fault? Or???? Could be any number of causes. Added anything new recently?

4. Trusteft

I was thinking it might help to load into bios and leave it there, see if it will happen before it loads windows. Not sure if that means that it is or isn't a windows' fault, but what do I have to lose?
    So far it is about 15min in (bios) and no reboot or other issues that I can tell.
    I am uploading a quick photo I took in case you see something strange I don't.
    [​IMG]

5. Trusteft

ANd.....3 min more and it rebooted off bios on its own free will.
    So it is most likely a hardware issue.
    Just don't know what yet.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'm with Dyre on this one, but while I don't think it's CPU heat related I would consider heat from he video card. Since the CPU has no onboard graphics that means that if you want to test to see if the video card is an issue you'll have to swap it out.

Also, you could simply have chip creep on the CPU, so simply re-seating it might help. Even just reseating some of the addin cards might help too.

7. Trusteft

I was thinking about the flickering lights on the keyboard and mouse before it reboots.
    I decided to do a vlog of this whole thing and turned on the PC and noticed when I was at the Windows login screen the keyboard had no light (it had intermittently during loading) and was not working in the password box. So I decided to remove the keyboard and plug another keyboard on a different port (front instead of back). Just the keyboard because the mouse is brand new and the thing happened with a different mouse too.
    I KNOW I am going to jinx this, but so far 20 min in BIOS, the system has yet to reboot itself.
    I will leave it for a full hour if it doesn't reboot. If all goes well, I am going to shut it down and plug in the previous keyboard in the front USB port. See how that goes.
    IF and that is a HUGE IF, the problem was the keyboard, that's the first time in my life of using PCs (since the mid 80s) that I have encountered such an issue.
    Time will tell.
    21 min and going.
    Oh, I also have a camera recording the screen in case something appears and I miss it.
    22min and going.

8. Trusteft

Nope, PC rebooted from bios some time after 30+ min.
    I will try one more thing with USB and then I will.....damn it, have to open the case.

9. Trusteft

This can't be good, can it?
    [​IMG]
    According to the manual this error code (if it is indeed 9C) It means... 'USB Detect'

...what?
    Anyone has a buddy in Asus lol

10. Trusteft

ok, I decided to record the error codes alone while booting.
    Here is the result. What do you think? I don't know if it is normal or not to have all of them show or not.

I also include screenshots from the error codes according to asus online manual.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. Trusteft

Here is what I could find

error codes
    67 CPU DXE Initialization is started
    62 Installation of the PCH Runtime Services
    68 PCI Host bridge initialization
    69 System Agent DXE initialization is started
    6F System Agent DXE initialization (System Agent module specific)
    80or88 ?
    33 CPU post memory initialization
    32 CPU post memory initialization
    4F DXE IPL is started
    60 DXE Core is started
    61 NVRAM initialization
    03 perhaps CACHE_Enabled
    76 PCH DXE Initialization (PCH module specific)
    78 ACPI module initialization
    79 CSM initialization
    91 Driver connecting is started
    95 PCI Bus Request Resources
    96 PCI Bus assign resources
    62 Installation of the PCH Runtime Services
    99 Super IO Initialization
    9E perhaps Reserved for future AMI codes
    64 CPU DXE initialization is started
    90 Boot Device Selection (BDS) phase is started
    88 ?
    A2 IDE Detect
    A8 or 98 Setup Verifying Password OR Console input devices connect
    9E or 3E or AE Reserved for future AMI codes OR Post Memory PCH initialization is started OR Legacy Boot Event
    AA System has transitioned into ACPI mode, Interrupt controlelr is in APIC mode.

From what I can see, none of them look like an actual error, apart perhaps from the original 9C and those which are "reserved for future codes"

I am going to try to record the error codes while it reboots and see if there is a different code, if any, while it does that.

12. Trusteft

ok, I recorded the codes while it rebooted itself. For the most part it had the code 64 I believe, while idle at the bios screen. It didn't show any other code while it rebooted other than a split second showing 00 during reboot which I guess it is normal.
    I am going to try to update the BIOS. I am a bit worried, but then again it is not like it works.

13. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I'm a little worried about you updating the bios. If you do it, and it resets you could be screwed. For the moment, rather than updating the bios try resetting it to factory defaults.

14. Trusteft

Well, I got partially lucky. It wasn't nice though, the update went through. I wasn't sure if all the times it rebooted were part of the update or not, regardless the update looks like it worked.
    By that I mean the process of updating the BIOS. Not that it solved the problem. 3 or so min after it finished (and I rebooted it manually into the BIOS for just in case), the system rebooted on its own again.

I am going to try to unplug the rest of the cables and see what happens. By rest I mean the keyboard cable and one USB that goes to the monitor for a hub it has in it. I am going to keep plugged in the second monitor and the audio cables as there is no way they are interfering with this.

15. Trusteft

Nope. Same result. :(
    Damn it, I am going to have to open the case after all.

16. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Just a few things:

1: The digital diagnostic screen you recorded in your video will normally go through all the test stages and flip through quite a number of combinations... it's when it gets stuck on one of the numbers and fails to start properly that you then look up that code to figure out what the problem is.. I'm fairly certain 88 is "normal" or "pass all", i'm trying to remember what mine says but it's identical.

2: The moment you described the issue i immediately thought either A: a usb device is failing/failed/or shorting or B: the usb ports or a plugged in header has or is failing/shorting. I've had to deal with irratic spontaneous reboots out of nowhere, one time is was a printer that for no apparent reason was causing it, another was a cable that ran to a digital camera that wasn't even plugged into a camera, just plugged into a port... no apparent reason why that would act up. Another is a Bluetooth adapter that was buggered. One of the internal situations was a USB header that the case ports were connected to would short out randomly, sometimes just brushing your hand across the case where the ports were would cause the system to either lock up solid or reboot in a flash.

Either way, it's a pain in the ass to diagnose if you can't find something that guarantees the symptom to occur every time, intermittent issues like this drive me up the wall.

I would personally unplug all the usb devices.. ever single one and fire it up. If it still reboots, it's time to deal with process of elimination by disconnecting literally everything you can and run vanilla board/cpu/ram/video card and that's it... if it still reboots, then it's time to run with only a single dimm and at that point i'd start a memtest run.

17. Trusteft

I can't be bothered (arsed). I will continue working on this but I am so sick of PCs. I would sell it but who buys such expensive systems any more here, no one. Meh.

18. Necrosis

Necrosis Well-Known Member

Mine was doing this and I had to unplug all my USB devices. Eventually had to reload windows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Trusteft

As I already mentioned, I have already tried without any usb devices plugged in.
    Next step will be without the antenna and speakers.
    If that fails, and I am pretty sure it will, I am opening up the case. See if everything is where it is supposed to be and if nothing is wrong, I will test the RAM and take it from there.

20. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

@Trusteft So how are things going, did you find out what the issue was? Will it cost money to rectify?