Auto reboot Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

One of the pros of having bought such a ridiculously expensive cpu I guess. :)

Calliers likes this.
  2. Trusteft

Not that it matters but I can't leave that like this it eats my brain cycles :p, this is my computer. If I gave the impression this belongs to someone else, I apologize.

3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

There are only less than a handful of machines with more than 2x pci-ex 16x slots (the 2nd usually limited to 8x or even 4x) that was necessary to fix the problem, the primary slot had failed to work regardless of the different cards and even manually going through and check each individual pin to ensure it wasn't shorting or something. My best guess it was internal (part of the board).

Calliers likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

I agree, I suspected the motherboard right from the start, but I didn't want to say anything because it's been a long time since I last worked on computers and I didn't have confidence in my own humble opinion. But I agree with Judas, I once had a board that had a hairline crack in it and the PC would blue screen at random times.

5. Trusteft

Yes, it is possible, but I am not going to test it now, I have it all patched up and ready to work.
    If at one point I manage to have enough money to get another system (hopefully from Apple), I will test it before I store it or sell it, but not before.
    Unless of course it starts having issues again, though that's not something I want to even think right now.

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Ok. Apology accepted. :p;)

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

Oh man. Last time, back in August, the system was working fine. I was using two other machines for the last few months but I decided to finally use this very powerful pc for good. I switched it on, the fans started spinning at very low speeds, then heard a noise similar to when it reboots, then started normal speed. I noticed the keyboard and mouse lights were not on. The system loaded windows and was there on the desktop. I plugged in an external USB 3.0 HDD to transfer some productivity software. I couldn't see the mouse cursor, the light of the mouse was off. I started moving it and it went back on again. OK, let's continue, I thought. Moving the cursor towards the start menu and poof, the PC reboots. That can't be right...
    I haven't touched the computer since the last time. It started to reboot itself every few seconds, before going back to Windows.
    If you had any idea how annoyed I am.
    From previous tests I know there is nothing wrong with the RAM the CPU or the drives. As I see it, it is either the motherboard, the GPU or the PSU.
    My money would go on the PSU or motherboard.
    Either way, I just can't deal with this, if I were the kind of person who screamed in frustration, I am sure I would, while destroying it with my axe.
    I think I am going to sell the whole thing, as a bundle or piece by piece on ebay. I am going to sell it on a HUGE loss of course, but I just can't stand it.

Any idea how much I should ask for it? Yes I will have the notice with the problem I am having, I am not an asshole.

8. Judas

Kind of need a proper full specs list to get a rough idea on value...

9. Trusteft

Oh, my bad.
    motherboard ASUS X99-Deluxe/3.1
    psu corsair rm750 gold modular
    SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
    SSD Samsung 850 PRo 1TB
    Coolermaster HAF XB EVO
    Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB DDR5
    RAM Crucial DDR4 8GBx4
    CPU Intel Core i7 5960X (2011v3 3GHz)
    Intel Thermal Solution 2011/2011v3
    Blu-Ray Recorder LG BH16NS40 sata
    Case Fan Aerocool Dark Force 20cm bk
    case fan corsair AF120 Quiet Edition High airflow 12cm
    Plus two other SSDs, Samsung 850 evo, I think one is 500 and the other 250gb.

10. Trusteft

I am going to order a MSI GeForce GT710 1GB (GT 710 1GD3H LP) (the second cheapest GPU I can find here for 37 Euros including shipping, the first being a GT210 for 2 euros less).
    If this doesn't solve the issue, I am going to get one of those PSUs that cost under 20 euros and see if the PSU is the problem.
    Not the best time for these expenses, money is too tight right now, but if I manage to solve this, I am going to make more money selling a working system than not.

11. Judas

my experience with crucial is horrible.. so i'd tag the memory even if it passes memtest with flying colors over the course of a week...

Without having read through the thread again.... it's amazing what running it outside of the case propped up on cardboard can reveal.

12. Tipstaff

Odd thought: have you tried ruling out the case? You could try disconnecting all the cases headers from the motherboard. I've seen it where a short in the wiring, the connectors themselves (USB ones), or even one of the switches can cause a short that will reset a PC.

13. Trusteft

I don't know if this matters but I will mention it anyway.
    A few days ago, before I tried to start using this PC again, I know the keyboard and the mouse connected to the PC in question, had no lights on while the machine was turned off. Whenever I tried to use it and had the issues, the lights, especially the mouse, would switch on and off on their own free will.
    Since two? days ago when I turned it off for the last time, the light on the keyboard and the mouse, remained on.
    Last night they were still on.
    Today, just woke up good morning all, I just noticed the lights on the keyboard and mouse are definitely off.
    Just thought to mention.

14. Judas

there has got to be a short or failure in the USB line somewhere... those are plugged directly into the rear slots of the motherboard.. or ports on the case?

If they are the rear ports, then there is a chance that a short is occuring elsewhere, either one of the header for usb or who knows what is causing it to intermit.

Typically a lot of the x79 and B/H/Z 8x series intel boards and newer have a "USB charge mode in off state" or something similar that will keep certain devices lit up, but my keyboard/mouse and whatnot have never been lit up while this is on, and yet my phone and other devices that use the USB ports to charge, still charge and work fine while machine is off. So i'm really baffled. The exception to this is if you're still using PS/2 devices.

15. Trusteft

If you check posts number 14,15 and 22, the problem remained with all usb devices unplugged.
    Of course that could mean that the problem is with a header inside, perhaps the one that comes from the case to plug in the motherboard, or something. Oh wait, post number 24. Apparently I already tried with the internal usb 3 connectored unplugged without any change.

16. Tipstaff

I thought you had tried it, but couldn't recall exactly.

17. Trusteft

The idea of having to disassemble the PC just....I am so sick of this.
    Why...why...WHY AM I NOT RICH?

18. Judas

No no... i think you misunderstand.... i'm talking about a short in the traces on the board potentially as well.. or a even a bent header pin (as i've had this on brand new out of the package boards).

I've also seen machines with weird issues where a veteran builder had in one case incidently left or put a motherboard mount in a place he shouldn't have... and another person with similar build history, managed to lose a screw unware that it was still stuck between the motherboard and the tray. In both these cases, the system would remain stable and work for months.. then start exhibiting problems for no apparent reason.... some days without working at all... then begin to work for no reason...

Disassembling a x99 platform/system is effortless... i could understand it if it was stuffed into a pile of shit case like a dell XPS or something... but what, 9 screws and some quick disconnects for the ports/power cables. I've had a motherboard pulled in under 5 minutes and fired up on a cardboard box.

19. Tipstaff

^^
    I've seen people not realize that the little metal "clips" on the IO shield are supposed to touch the top of the port it's situated over. Sure enough they come in blaming the board, and I look to see that they've jammed that piece of metal INTO a port.. usually the NIC port, or one of the USB, and it's causing a short. However, I know that's not the case here as the X99 board has a flat IO shield.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  20. Trusteft

Some good news, a cousin of mine might have an extra old PSU and GPU that I could try over the next week or so. I will keep you updated.