Average harddrive transfer rate speed?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by M0nk3m4n, Nov 29, 2010.

1. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Hates computers with a passion.

Well Windows 7 lets us see the transfer speeds of any file we should care to move around or copy and now it's got some of us wondering if
    the speeds are too fast or slow. Well, me anyway. Foolish as I am about drives & their speeds. One tech thing I never looked into too much.

I have a Seagate 640Gb SATA II drive with a 16Mb cache, when I copy large files/folders & check the transfer speed, it's usually around
    25-35mb/second, what I want to know is, is that about right? Should it be closer to 50-75? It's probably just paranoia, but having the
    ability to see the transfer rate has gotten me curious about all this and I can't seem to find any "you're speed should be about...***" type posts.
    Thanks in advance fellas. Boy this question feels noobish.

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

There are other factors affecting the transfer speed. One of the main ones is if you have made sure (jumpers) that the drive is in SATA II mode (and if the mainboard supports it)

A good way to test it is to use the program HD Tune.

I have an old Maxtor 500GB drive, SATA II, according to the program it supports UDMA mode 6 but active is 5.
    Speed test (it needs a defrag) is, Max 109.3 MB/sec Min 36.7 MB/sec and Average 82.8 MB/sec
    Burst 130 MB/sec, Access Time 14ms, CPU Usage 2.8%

If I closed a few programs and actually defraged, I might got a few better numbers, but it should give you an idea.

This with HD Tune 2.55 Go and download the latest version and see what it says.

3. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

There are other factors than just your hardware in file copy times. Vista was slated at its launch for being really, really slow at this compared to otherwise identical XP systems.

4. M0nk3m4n

Hmm, I have everything shut off, it's a clean boot and I don't think my
    drive needs defragging, I think it told me it didn't need it when I tried
    recently. This is the most I get. The average of 89.7 sounds terrific, but
    I never actually see those speeds when I'm copying files or anything.
    Or if I do, Win7's reading wrong & telling me it's 30 or so.

Is there a way to tell if I have the jumpers right on the drive from Windows?
    It's not too hard to get at the drive but if I could do without opening the case
    up and fumbling around trying to get the drive out, I'd prefer it that way. lol

Attached Files:

5. Trusteft

Not sure how accurate it is, but click on info, what does it show there?
    Here is mine.

The only 100 % certain way would be to open the case remove the hard drive and see on it which jumper configuration is the correct one for SATA 2 and what is the actual jumper configuration on it.

Attached Files:

6. M0nk3m4n

Hell, on mine Standard, Supported, and Active are all blank. What's that mean?

7. [hobo]eclipse

[hobo]eclipse ...just bummin 'round

how many drives do you have in your system? if its only the one, and you are copying the files from one portion of it to another, even another partition, the drive will be reading and writing to itself. Copying to a 2nd drive will have better results.

8. Trusteft

I have no idea. You might want to check any official hdd tune official forum or support email. (I don't know if there is one)

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

keep in mind..

copying files from the same drive to a different location will more then cut your speeds in half as it reads and writes..

moving files should be a snap unless transfering to a different partition.

Windows 7 doesn't exactly have the most accurate reading ever.

if you want to do a real world test.... take a large say 1gb or 4 gb file.... (a single file, not many) and copy it.

If you copy and paste that file from the same drive and same partition, your data transfer speed should about about 2/5ths the speed it's rated for.

Even the 640gb 64mb cache SATA III WD blacks i've got generally show up as 15-50mb/s on direct transfers.

and i've a USB flash drive that has shown a 60MB/S transfer rate when the bus speed is limited to a maximum of 30mb/s under perfect conditions.

You need exceptionally large files to get anything remotely accurate.

And another thing, MANY small files, for example email messages, being moved about don't move very quickly.....

10. M0nk3m4n

Aha, well the way these posts are making it sound, there's not really any problem
    with my drive's speeds, nor is there really an average speed for any hard drives. D'oh.