Best LAN Games ??

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Cow_160483, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Cow_160483

Cow_160483 HH's only cow moooooo...

OK guys my friends and I are planning a LAN in May and i was just thinking what are the best LAN games at the moment, that we can play to maximize the amount of fun:cool:
    So far the games that we play are Halo, Unreal tournament 2004, Warcraft 3 (Dot A all stars)... and bunch that i cant remember right now;)

Any game category is good FPS, strategy anything will do am just tired of playing the same old games and looking for something new:)

2. VampyrByte

VampyrByte New Member

How many people will be there? if its small, like 8 people, then Left 4 Dead is great fun on Versus. Call of Duty 4, and World at War are great fun. Even CoD 2 still gets dragged out at my LANs with my mates, Trackmania is a good laugh if its just you and a few mates, dunno how that would work with 16 or so people. Counter Strike is getting old now, and TF2 isnt too great for small games, but can still be fun.

3. SeraphicSorcerer

SeraphicSorcerer Well-Known Member

I would say Left 4 dead, COD 4, and CS:source ftw.

4. Cow_160483

well i think its going to be a bit larger than the previous ones we have had coz we are inviting another LAN group we are 8 and they are 8 so around 16 people altogether ! personally i have yet to play L4D i might just borrow it from a friend this weekend and if i like it its in:)
    thanks VampyrByte

What about strategy games any thoughts??:confused: lats LAN we played Warcraft 3 to death:duh:

was personaly thinking of Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War: Dark Crusade
    and World in Conflict. Has any one played those games on LAN?:confused:

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

World in Conflict would fit well. The game needs at least 4-5 people per team and players that don't play much strategy has it easier to get into the basics than in most other games. Plus you can have players join in the middle of a game and still have fun. Just try to avoid having half the crowd doing heavy artillery, blasting their advancing teammates into bits. :D

6. supafly

supafly New Member

How about Quake 4 and Doom 3...

as for strategy, a little starcraft never hurts :)

7. Mac Daddy

Mac Daddy New Member

I have heard L4D is a lot of fun online ... I just have to find some time to try it ;)

8. Cow_160483

Playing online is sweet but on LAN its way better!

The difference between online and LAN:

To celebrate your victory at a LAN Party, you'd:

• savor the expression of anguish on your friends face
    • leap up and scream, "Suck it down, monkeyboy!"
    • high-five your teammates (if you have any):)
    • sing a rousing chorus of, "Who's yo daddy?"
    • announce that he couldn't kill you if you were on life support ;)
    • Turn up the stereo really loud
    • begin the smack talk for the inevitable rematch

Now let's assume you were at home alone playing on the Internet. You'd celebrate your amazing victory in the following ways:

• Checking your email

It's like the difference between going to a hockey game or watching one on TV. Sure, you can see it all happen on the screen -- but there's nothing like being there in person and hoping to catch a tooth lol.

the advantages of a LAN are obvious.

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

cons:

if you lose.......

10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

Almost any good co-operative game will really shine at a LAN party. My personal favourites are CoD:WaW Zombie and Rise of Nations.

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'm still a fan of Quake 1.... provided you use the Prepack... ;) It's like playing doom 3 with high resolution textures and cool lighting :D)

sometimes the old games are a riot to play.

12. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta New Member

I'm like cow the main old game I lan is warcraft particulary Adotta

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  13. dawgXdenta

dawgXdenta New Member

lol

14. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

starcraft brood war for RTS game :)

15. Cow_160483

I loved starcraft, i should really dig it up and give it a twirl!:cool:

Keep the suggestions coming :)

16. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Have you tried Age of empires 2 , it is hell of fun and joy and you can play with 5 player smacking each other or creating teams :) didn't like AOE III I think it is a step backward.

17. Cow_160483

blast from the past sweet :)

18. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I still play the odd TacticalOps: AoT game (you can get the mod for the UT engine, or find the standalone release), or one of it's later mod versions (like TacOps Crossfire) as well as a game of Battlefield 1942 (with and without the Desert Combat mod installed).

I have to go with Judas on Quake as well. It's simple to get going, small enough to get it onto a lot of machines real quick (less than 10mb), and it's not heavy on resources, so you don't need a heavy duty machine to run it. You can pretty much throw it on any old POJ, including low end laptops, and it'll run like the wind. That makes it even easier to get a lot of PCs/laptops together to play on too.

You could even go with Quake III: Arena.

19. Cow_160483

Only 17 posts on this thread and 5 of them are mine lol It seams that not many people on DH LAN :(

20. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

It's cuz we've all moved on to playing online games. Going back to playing Lan games is like going back to playing NES. It's nice and all, but we're too l337 for that now.