But why?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Forum' started by Liqourice, May 5, 2018.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago I had someone break into my basement storage. Everything was left in a mess, all boxes emptied on the floor and it looked like a tornado had roamed through. It all made me sick back then so I haven't been down there until today. I had to sort stuff out, mainly since I want to take my old computers out of there and start to play with them again. Planning to start doing some fun stuff on youtube with them.

So, my C64 and all it's components was still there. Someone had been through the bag I kept them in but it seems to all be there. My A500 was still there. Same there, the box was opened but the computer was untouched and the psu was still in the box as well.

But, my good old harddrive controller, which also was kept in it's original box, is missing. This is the one.

http://www.bigbookofamigahardware.com/bboah/product.aspx?id=1194

It slots into the side expansion port on the A500. It had 4 MB ram in it and a 120 MB Quantum SCSI drive.

I just can't figure out why someone would steal that and not the 500 or the C64. It's not worth much these days, there are easier ways to make even bigger storage on the old Amigas these days, adapters to use CF cards and such. This just baffles me, I can't for the world understand what kind of stupid person would steal it unless they perhaps have an old A500 they can connect it to. Somehow though, I don't quite think that's the kind of person that would break into someones storage.

My only reaction is, but why?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

First of all, we are talking about a burglar. If he or she was the brightest person around, he wouldn't be doing this to begin with.
    As for why this and not the others.
    Two explanations I see. One is that he thought it was something else or something that he could sell as it was in its box.
    Two, he needed one. He was a collector and saw the opportunity and grabbed it.

3. Liqourice

I know, they aren't the brightest in general. There were other things in there that's more valuable though, not anymore since I taken them out, so I can't stop wondering. But, I'll never find out. Obviously it was someone in the building though, noone else would have been able to get access to the storage. This I can guarantee, it's just not possible to get in there without the correct "keys" (it's electronic as well as regular keys in a two steps for two doors.)

It's been a few years though and people keep moving in and out all the time so the chance of it being someone still living here is slim.

Oh well. It is what it is, nothing I can do about it. It just baffles me what the person was thinking.

The upside of this probably is that it motivates me to get a Vampire 2 card for the A500. Won't be much I can do without that since I now don't have a way to connect a harddrive to it.

4. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

sounds less like actual burglars and more like somebody buzzing off their tits on whatever tbh

5. Liqourice

Well, after digging through the pile of old things and clothes that I had in my storage, the pile that the burglar(s) created by emptying boxes trying to find stuff that I didn't have I eventually found the good old harddrive at the bottom. Seems it was one of the first things they decided they didn't want and just threw it on the floor.

Brought it and the old A500 up and put it all back together, fired it up and everything worked for a few minutes until the fuse in the A500 PSU blew so it seems I have some work to do figuring out why. Bad caps I guess.

IvanV, Calliers and Trusteft like this.
  6. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

Glad you found it!