Changing a BIos from Legacy to UEFi

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

OK so purchased an Acer Nitro v15 laptop for my son (ex shelf display very reesonable price)

Had win 8.1 on it , pushed through an upgrade to Win 10 , then I checked the BIOS and noticed it was on legacy not UEFI

thought I could just switch to UEFi and boot to windows but nope thats not happening

tried formatting to reinstall from scratch but windows gave me a message about not being able to install on a drive that runs on MBR needs to be GBT ... tried to change this in Disk Managent and it wont

Every bit of software I grabbed wants cash to be able to do that and I am very strapped

I know I have not explained all this very well but essentially ... is there an easy way to totally wipe the hard drive so that I can goto the BIOS switch to uEFi and then reinstall the OS from the backup I made with the Win 10 media creator

get the drive in a no OS at all state and then a full reinstall

I did try a recovery through windws but it wipes the drive but when it reboots I tried to change the BIOs and it gives me a no bootable media message so thats not working

I remember in the old win 95 days I would boot to dos and DOS?Command prompt and so something like Format :c (been a long time) ... is that still possible with Win 10 and if so can someone step by step it ?

cheers

Actually is there really any harm in leaving it on Legacy ?

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  2. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Legacy basically isn't a problem, but UEFI can improve boot speed by quite a few seconds. If you want to switch to GPT from MBR, the best option will be to use the diskpart command line in the Windows Installer. See <https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn336946.aspx> for details.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  3. Mr Cairo

Thanks ... I remember trying that it told me it could not do it as the pagefile (or something similar) was on the same volume .. Tried Minitiool Partition Manager and all was well until I applied the changes and it asked for £50 to actually do it ....

4. Mr Cairo

I take it back just tried it again and it seems to have worked ... thanks for that

My son has been working hard for the last 2 years towards his 2nd Dan Black belt in Karate (hes 16) he has missed nights out with friends, days out with us and lots of social and family obligations to get there and he takes his grading a week on Saturday, he has been begging for a new laptop for a while and this is it ... could only afford a second hand display model but its in excellent condition I just want it to be the absolute best it can be when he gets it

Trusteft likes this.
  5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Edit: I just saw that it was already solved, never mind the rest.

I'm not at my desktop, so I'd have to get back to you with the details, but there are a couple of things that should work.

I'm not sure about 10, but in Vista and Seven, you could manually install UEFI drivers and change a registry value, then during reboot switch BIOS to UEFI and it would work (I've done it).

Also, there is a free command line utility which I used on one occasion to convert a hard drive to GPT without losing the data.

Lastly, but this one is just a guess, if wiping the drive is not an issue, couldn't W10 installation delete the MBR partitions and then create GPT ones?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Mr Cairo likes this.
  6. Mr Cairo

All sorted Ivan but thanks regardless

I tried that approach and it failed to Boot so had to switch back

That was another I tried it failed first time but seems to have worked by getting to the command line from the windows Install disk and Shift+F10

That didnt work either just stayed teh way it was ...

Thanks though like I said its all sorted now but thanks for the input this is an important one for me :)

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

You certain that was UEFI? because Windows vista certainly didn't support it and Windows 7 SP1 is required with a proper UEFI bootloader in order to get it to work with UEFI which generally didn't happen. In fact until windows 8 came around, that's when PROPER full UEFI firmware boards/systems started becoming more common as time went on, there were STILL a lot of systems being built that didn't have full UEFI and used a hybrid method that still performed initial BIOS loading.

In order to use UEFI properly (i've been doing this for quite awhile)... the disk drive desired MUST be reinitialized, simply deleting the partitions on the drive isn't sufficient as the drive still would be initialized as a MBR type of drive. So as was already stated, a diskpart (which is by far the easiest thing on the planet to perform), can be initiated by booting from windows 8.x/10 disk or usb flash drive or what have you, getting to the language selection and then click on the repair option instead of continuing with setup, once there, just a matter of opening up the command line and going through the steps of diskpart to "clean" the drive. Once the drive is clean, a full initialization must be done, While technically you can simply exit diskpart at this stage and type in "setup" to start the installation of windows, I would advise rebooting before continuing (as i've seen some really weird shit happen).

The only thing i know you can fiddle in the register and get working is when swapping from IDE ~> AHCI ~> RAID modes which is one of the most common practices... the nice thing however is with windows 10, simply loading up windows, opening the run command and then going into msconfig, enable START IN SAFE MODE.... restart and load into the uefi/bios, go to the mode change and set whatever you desire be it raid/ahci/ide... and then save, windows will successfully start, allow you to install the necessary new drive and then all you do is go back into msconfig and disable safe mode start. No need for manually editing the registry like one had to before with previous versions of windows (which would BSOD even in safe mode).

Mr Cairo likes this.
  8. Mr Cairo

Not always, I had that issue about a year ago and you helped me out and it was great

Had the same issue with a laptop and the method you describe just did not work, in the end I resorted to the Registry edit method , thing is it should have worked the way you described and I never figured out why it didn't

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Earlier interations of the windows 10 version wasn't fully setup for this solution, newer versions, specially creators update does it even better, i think Microsoft is understanding the desire for running in pure AHCI or raid mode (on intel chipsets, raid should always be used whenever possible as the RST drive is always compatible, where as AHCI mode on intel isn't).

10. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

You're absolutely right, that part of my post was AHCI, not UEFI. Embarrassing. :(