Cleaning laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

My current main (non work) computer is a gaming laptop running Windows 8.1
    For some time now I've been having issues with the performance. Checking the details with open hardware monitor I noticed that the CPU temp was reaching temps of 93C when running idle with MAX fan speed for the CPU.
    As soon as I did anything intensive (gaming or other) then the CPU would reach temps of 100C and the clock would throttle down to even 790Mhz. Which might be the reason for the "skipping" and slowdown of performance even though according to framerate measurements (in game or fraps) the fps remained relatively high.

SO, while I am basically broke (no joke I am going to sell something on Monday to pay the rent) I did decide to use my very last cash to buy a thermal paste and a compressed air can.
    Yes, I didn't buy food. I bought computer accessories. BUT, I had a good reason. I LOVE this laptop and if it dies I know I won't stand a chance of buying any other.
    As you can see, it was a matter of life and death.

FF. I opened, cleaned, replaced the thermal paste (CPU), closed, switched on.
    Yes I did record everything and I am going to upload a video on my youtube channel some time soon.
    BUT, here are the results.

The CPU on idle with the auto fan feature on (that is the fan speed is way lower than max), the CPU temp went from 93C to 35C.
    The GPU core (which I did not touch other than clean the fans a bit), went from 67C idle to 53C.

The CPU busy with the fan on max (cause I rather be safe than sorry) went from 100C to 64C.

AND, I can't believe this, the fps in for example World of Tanks, went from 25-30 to...112.

WOW.

I will link the video here when I upload it.

IvanV likes this.
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

That was worth skipping a meal! It's also a reminder how important it is to have a serviceable computer be it a desktop or a laptop.

Fingers crossed that the cashflow problems go away soon.

Trusteft likes this.
  3. Trusteft

Thank you.
    Oh yes, the only thing I hate about modern Apple computers.

4. Trusteft

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Ouch! Photo number 2 makes me want to open my (company issued) laptop. It's over 4 years old (so out of warranty) and has never been serviced. I should have something that opens these six point star screws lying around...

Trusteft likes this.
  6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

quite a common occurrence... at least for you though, doing that actually resolved it... some of the laptops are just poorly built and no matter what cooling solutions are fixed up, they just don't get any better and gradually disintegrate

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Trusteft

Well when I was buying this I was buying it as a gaming laptop. I was a bit more careful as to what I was buying.

It does makes me wonder how the laptops (and desktops) that can't be opened by the user, cope with this issue in the long run.

I plan on doing the same procedure on it for the GPU, though it doesn't get too hot, remains in the 80sC while on load, I sure it can go lower than that. The question is, will I need just a thermal paste or would I also need thermal pads. The structure looks like the "pipes" cover more than one chipset and I don't know what is going on under them.

8. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

imo i wouldn't touch the gpu at this time considering it's operating temp is well within normal.

i've seen some that require a combination of new pads and thermal... and sometimes you can get away with reusing the pads as they don't really disintergrate. I've been able to replace thermal pads with non conductive paste though with better results, depends on the application.

Trusteft likes this.
  9. Trusteft

ok, first version of the video is up.
    I plan on releasing a longer more boring version some time in the near future.

10. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

How big is the screen on that gaming laptop? 15"?

11. Trusteft

It's 15.6 inches.

Calliers likes this.