Compaq desktop no video issue question

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by geno368, Nov 18, 2012.

1. geno368

geno368 Member

I am working on an older Compaq which I determined to have a bad motherboard. I replaced it and finally got it to boot after reducing the amount of thermal compound I initially used. It ran for about 1 hour and I put it in standby. The next day it wouldn't respond at all. I unplugged it and that is the last boot I got. I am at my wits end with this. It will power up and the optic drive responds briefly but I get no post beep or video. I think I have a defective M/B.
    My question is: If I install a pci video card, does it bypass the gpu on the M/B? I did this to test and got the same results...Thanks for any help.

2. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia member

check the psu if the power it gives is not sufficient (test with another psu)

or the memory r faulty (test with another ram )

it is shorting in the case (power the board out of the case if it works out of the case then there is some thing wrong in the case)

check if any cap r blown on the motherboard (take it to an elotronic store and replace the blown cap)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

^^^

The PSU if bad could have wiped out the original motherboard and then the replacement board as well.

4. geno368

geno368 Member

Thanks for the replies. I have removed the board from the case and I get the same results (fans run, optical drive runs and then no video) I have a power supply tester which shows good voltage, but the tester does make a humming sound. I have another P/S that is good, but it can't even get the fans to run with it. (350v)
    I re-installed just now and finally got a boot selection screen briefly and then it loses that screen and boots again to that screen. It did that 6 times and now I get nothing again...

5. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia member

check the processor
    check the hdd
    or unplug every thing like hdd, cd/dvd
    and try power it on

6. geno368

geno368 Member

how do I check the processor?

7. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia member

if u have another pc with the same processor type

8. geno368

geno368 Member

I have finally solved this mystery! It took 3 different power supplies before I found one that worked. The system seems fine now. Thanks for the help!

9. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia member

check the other board that must be fine tooooooooooo

10. geno368

geno368 Member

It had bulging capacitors...bad power supply prob ruined it....

11. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia member

post a pic of that board

12. geno368

geno368 Member

here goes... photo2.JPG

One of the 2 bulging caps in center photo2

Attached Files:

13. sahara_mafia

sahara_mafia member

replace the caps and it should be working again