Compaq Presario C500

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Sephiroth_KMFDM, Feb 8, 2007.

1. Sephiroth_KMFDM

Sephiroth_KMFDM New Member

Bought the laptop about a week ago. Came with Vista installed, Vista sucked so I formatted and put XP pro back on it. Here is the issue, I can't find drivers anywhere for the C500 for my sound device or my modem. Could anyone possible help? I've been fighting this issue since installing XP. Thanks in advance.

2. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

3. Jaku

Jaku New Member

Those aren't all the drivers and don't help at all. I am having the same problem with the same laptop and haven't been able to get any drivers other than the ones that windows picked up on. If you find anything out let me know and I'll do the same.

4. Teme

Teme Super Moderator Staff Member

HP's site don't give much info about the components used in that laptop.
    It has IntelĀ® Graphics Media Accelerator 950, so to get newest drivers goto intel's website.

btw. program called cpu-z might give you info about the chipset that is used...

5. Jaku

Jaku New Member

Already tried going to Intels website and getting the chipset. It installed 1 thing, the SW Bus driver, or something I forget exactly. Anyway's the drivers that XP cannot find are as follows

Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express <-- Nevermind on this got it working after messing with the Vista drivers and XP drivers
    HDAudio Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP
    Broadcom 802.11b\g WLAN
    Conexant Audio Driver <-- Not too sure on the name for this one

I have went to all the websites and nothing I have tried has worked yet.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  6. Teme

Teme Super Moderator Staff Member

Hmm... you didn't get any driver cd's whith the laptop? If you did they might be helpful to find the correct drivers...

7. Jaku

Jaku New Member

8. Sephiroth_KMFDM

Sephiroth_KMFDM New Member

Same here i got everything working but the Sound and Modem. I actually need both to be working lol. This fucking sucks. Compaq should have had both XP and Vista drivers.

9. szuiram

szuiram New Member

hi,
    I have the same problem , I'm looking for drivers (audio, modem) and one more, I need driver S ATA

10. thnhan

thnhan New Member

Same problem here with a Compaq Presario C502US.

SATA driver: I just go into BIOS, turn off SATA native support for WinXP setup to recognize the disk.

After searching on the web, I did get the Broadcom wireless to work, the graphics to work.

Remaining problem is the Conexant audio + Modem. I try HP web page, download all Conexant high definition audio driver of other HP/Compaq models, try to install them. None works.

I have struggled for the last 3 days without avail. This really sucks.

NT

11. thnhan

thnhan New Member

Would anyone interested in trying out the brute force approach by trying all available drivers from HP/Compaq site until we find one that works for Presario C500 series ?

For the Conexant high definition audio + modem driver, you also need Microsoft Universal Audio Architecture (UAA) Bus Driver for High Definition Audio

The idea here is going thru all HP/Compaq series/models. Any series that uses Conexant high definition audio, you would download that driver + the modem driver and Microsoft UAA Bus driver in the same series. Install the UAA bus driver first, then the sound and modem driver. Let us know which combination works out. Of course we are talking about WinXP drivers.

I will take on the Compaq series first, checking on Presario 300 Notebook PC series upward.

NT.

12. MrAce

MrAce New Member

XP Installation instructions

I bought the C509NR a few days ago and was stuck in google land. I came across this thread and one over at fatwallet (FW).

Specials thanks to Ampparks (FW) for all his hard work. I have moddied his original works and included how I got XP installed.

Go download all the drivers prior to installation and burn them to a CD.

1. Install Intel Intel 945GM chipset drivers v 8.1.1.1010
    2. Install Intel 945GM video drivers v 14.25.50
    3. Download page for C300 XP drivers
    4. Install Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver v 5.5.0.1035 A SP32478(follow Manual installation instuctions at the bottom)

5. Install Intel Matrix Storage Manager v 5.5.0.1035 A SP32492(follow Manual installation instuctions at the bottom)

6. Install Microsoft AUU Drivers SP32646
    7. Install Conexant High Definition Audio Driver v 3.23.0.0 A SP33443(Automatic installation failed for me)
    (follow Manual installation instructions steps I5, selecting the correct Audio device in folder ..\SWSetup\SP33443)

8. Install Conexant HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP v 7.33.00.51 B SP33442(Automatic installation failed for me)
    (follow Manual installation instructions steps I5, selecting the correct Modem device in folder ..\SWSetup\SP33442)

9. Install Broadcom Wireless LAN Driver v 6.10 A SP34152
    10. Install Synaptics Touchpad driver v 8.3.8 M SP33751
    11. Install System Default Settings v 4.20 W SP33321
    12. Install HP Quick Launch Buttons driver v 6.10 B SP33258

Steps to manually install Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver to support SATA Native Mode

I1. a. Boot up the machine and Enter F10 Setup
    b. Goto System Configuration -> Device Configurations -> SATA Native Mode Set to Disable
    c. Save settings and exit F10 Setup
    I2. a. Install Windows XP Service Pack 2
    b. When XP installation is complete, install drivers listed above.

I3. Install Intel SATA AHCI Controller Driver v 5.5.0.1035 A SP32478I4. In Device Manager, right-click the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers/Intel 82801 GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller and select "Update Driver"

I5. Follow these steps to complete the Hardware Update Wizard:
    a. At the first dialog, select "No, not this time" when prompted to connect to Windows Update.
    b. At the next dialog, select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".
    c. At the next dialog, select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install".
    d. When prompted to select the device driver you want to install for this hardware, do not choose anything but click the "Have Disk..."-button.

e. Select Browse and navigate to the installation folder from step #I4 and click OK.

This folder will be similar to ..\SWSetup\SP3xxxx. You need to point to the folder for the device you are installing.

f. When prompted to select the device driver you want to install for this hardware, select the Intel 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller
    g. A warning that Windows cannot verify that the device is compatible with your hardware will appear.
    When asked if you want to continue installing the driver, select Yes.
    h. The installation will complete.

I6. a. Shutdown Windows, restart the machine and Enter F10 Setup.
    b. Goto System Configuration -> Device Configurations -> SATA Native Mode Set to Enable
    c. Save settings and exit F10 Setup

I7. After Windows restarts, the additional SATA components will be updated.
    A System Settings Change will appear.
    When asked "Do you want to restart your computer now?" click Yes.
    I8. When Windows restarts, the SATA AHCI drivers will be completely installed.

I hope this helps.
    MrAce

Last edited: Feb 28, 2007
    PangingJr likes this.
  13. thnhan

thnhan New Member

Thank you MrAce. You save the day.

NT

14. xceler8x

xceler8x New Member

I bought my c500 about a week or two ago and hated Vista from the moment I touched it. I tried to install XP myself was stopped as Compaq had not released the AUU driver yet. With this write up I'm typing at you with the help of a fresh XP install. It all works. Even the high def audio.

Get rid of that abortion known as Vista. It might be an improvement but not enough of one to go through all the trouble to use it.

Thanks for the write up!

15. szuiram

szuiram New Member

Hey guys please help me out again, everything ok, except audio and modem.
    How can i make manual installation, I don't have .inf files

16. MrAce

MrAce New Member

The chipset drivers will have the .inf files for the motherboard chipset. You will need to install them first.

1. Install Intel Intel 945GM chipset drivers v 8.1.1.1010
    http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/sb/CS-022034.htm

For the Audio and modem, you will need to install:

6. Install Microsoft AUU Drivers SP32646
    ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32646.exe
    7. Install Conexant High Definition Audio Driver v 3.23.0.0 A SP33443
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-42513-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3213867&os=228&lang=en
    (Automatic installation failed for me)
    (follow Manual installation instructions steps I5, selecting the Audio device)
    8. Install Conexant HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP v 7.33.00.51 B SP33442
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-42512-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3213867&os=228&lang=en
    (Automatic installation failed for me)
    (follow Manual installation instructions steps I5, selecting the Modem device)

Lastly, these may require a manual installation using:

I4. In Device Manager, right-click the device you want to update the driver and select "Update Driver"

I5. Follow these steps to complete the Hardware Update Wizard:
    a. At the first dialog, select "No, not this time" when prompted to connect to Windows Update.
    b. At the next dialog, select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".
    c. At the next dialog, select "Don't search. I will choose the driver to install".
    d. When prompted to select the device driver you want to install for this hardware, do not choose anything but click the "Have Disk..."-button.
    e. Select Browse and navigate to the installation folder for step #I4 and click OK.
    f. When prompted to select the device driver you want to install for this hardware, select the correct driver from #6, #7 and #8 (above)
    g. A warning that Windows cannot verify that the device is compatible with your hardware will appear.
    When asked if you want to continue installing the driver, select Yes.
    h. The installation will complete.

17. superbee

superbee New Member

Hey, thank you so much for the tutorial, everything to my knowledge is working on my presario c500 BUT under the other devices / unknown device..... somthing isnt installed, i dont know what. Is there anything i can type on here so somone will know what it is, like an id or somthing?
    Thanks.

18. MrAce

MrAce New Member

The last remaining unknown in my setup was the HP Quick Launch Buttons driver. Try this

12. Install HP Quick Launch Buttons driver v 6.10 B SP33258
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-45910-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3213867&os=228&lang=en

19. superbee

superbee New Member

you are a genius, thanks again.

20. szuiram

szuiram New Member