cpu_fan, pwr_fan, cha_fan

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Kaldar, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

i'm currently in the process of building my own pc and i came to the point where i had to connet the cpu fan, pwr_fan and cha_fan i got all of them except cha_fan.... now what exactly is cha_fan? lol

2. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

It's just the case fan connection though Ive yet to meet anyone who knows what it actually means, I certainly don't. Im sure someone will be able to enlighten both of us to the meaning of CHA.

3. Lelisevis

What a knob I am:duh:.

It's been annoying me so I took a look in my PC.......

CHA = Chassis

Who said whisky and beer rot the brain

4. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

ok but what do i hook it up to? i mean... like i cant find the connector for it lol

5. Lelisevis

Im assuming you mean the 3 pin prong on the motherboard? If so it's for 3 pin case fans normally on the front,back and top of your case. Trouble is depending on the quality of your case you might find the fans are 4 pin molex connections that plug straight into your PSU.
    The benefits of the CHA connection is that it will be speed controlled depending on ambient temperature in the case. It is possible to convert molex type fittings to 3 pin connections.

Edit: but only if your case fan has a yellow wire which controls and reports speed.

6. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Look in your mobo booklet for a diagram, it should be listed and shown. The chassis fan, if for the intake, is usually on the bottom right side of the mobo, if for the exhaust, is near the middle left, just above the agp or pcie slot.

edit, give us the name of the board and we will likely be able to show you :)

7. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

8. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

oh and, i already have the fans hooked up to the molex connectors, but they also had another cord coming from them, i'm guessing that goes in there? but.... theres only 1 slot for like 45435 fans lol

9. Lelisevis

yup I just downloaded your manual and it has one cha point. I guess it's upto yourself which one you use but make sure if you do use one of the yellow wires to monitor the fanspeed that you get it the right way round. Shouldnt be possible to get it wrong but ive seen stranger things lol

10. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

do i even need to plug one into the cha point?

11. riles9262

riles9262 Driverheaven brewmaster

Not if you don't want to. Like was mentioned, it just changes fan speed depending on temperature.

12. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

oh i see, i'm still a bit confused but for the CHA_FAN, theres only one cha point... so i can only get 1 of my fans in there? what abotu the other 4 fans i have + the psu fan

13. Kaldar

Kaldar New Member

also for the usb 2.0 connectors, the wires that came with my case were not labeled very clearly, or atleast i don't think they are... becuase the manual has a little bit of different names for them... so if i accidently put one in the wrong spot can anything happen?