1. The Dark Forum Skin... It's ALIVE!!!!!

Crossfire Temps

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Pratty, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Pratty

Pratty New Member

Hi, I am trying to work out if my video cards are running too hot. I have recently added a second card in crossfire and now my primary card is running a lot hotter both idling and under load. My system is:

Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD5
    GPU: 2X Sapphire HD5770 VaporX
    Case: Antec 902

When I had only 1 card installed it was idling at around 40C and got up around 70C under load.
    Since adding the second card the primary idles at 57C @ 40% fan speed and pushes 90C @ ~70% fan speed under load, while the 2nd card idles at 38C and gets to around 60C under load and my overall system temp is 35C.
    There is plenty of airflow in the case with 2 intake fans on the front, 1 intake on the side next to gpu's and 2 exhaust fans.

So is it normal for the primary card to be so hot in crossfire?

Cheers
  2. Craig_Humphreys

Craig_Humphreys Administrator Staff Member

The primary card is effectively blocked off, so the temps are usually higher yes. With my SLI'd 470's the primary card runs around 14c hotter.
  3. Pratty

Pratty New Member

Hey thanks for the quick response, thats good to know, I was a bit worried that I didn't have enough cooling.
  4. CJLMTLCA

CJLMTLCA Black & Red

Same here. My second card is blocking the first card which results in 10C higher for the first card. But even under load the temps are low (compared to previous generation cards).

You also have a side fan which helps a little, so you're good to go.
  5. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

As well as being blocked off, the primary card is almost always under higher load too.
  6. Pratty

Pratty New Member

Apart from the space issues, I have just found another reason my card was idling so high. I have had both my monitor and tv connected to the primary card (to have duplicate screens) with the monitor on DVI and the tv on HDMI. I recently unplugged the HDMI while I formatted my pc and found that the temps were significantly lower, with the primary card idling at 39C and secondary at 36C (both GPU fans at 40%). Reconnecting the HDMI increases the primary cards temp to the mid 50's in about 1 minute.

With HDMI both connected or not the level of GPU activity still registers as 0-1%, I assume though that there must be some extra load when both cords are connected. I have yet to see the temps while under load, but i thought I'd share my findings.
  7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

running more displays is going to draw more power and more heat..

depending on the resolution... you can test this..

if you set your resolution to say 1920x1200..... you'll notice it's generally much warmer even in idle or load...... then if you were to set it at 800x600.....

the more pixels the cards have to crunch.. the hotter/more load they deal with.

Unfortunately they have not designed a card properly for drawing in air where it should be... even though we've had the technology and design available for years.... why do they insist on produceing cards with the fan drawing air in at a relately terrible location..

mind you the x1900xtx fan deseign while more correct... wasn't designed very well specially when it came to the noise levels....