Crystal Voice doesn't support DBpro-Card?

Discussion in 'PAX Download - Z/ZX/ZXR' started by Cruentus, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Cruentus

Cruentus New Member

Hi there,

I searched the Web like crazy for this problem, but didn't found anything.

My actual recording-setting is as follows:

I use a Rode Procaster as Mic, which is connected to a Behringer Xenyx UFX 1204. I recently bought a Creative Soundblaster ZxR and connected the Mixer through the XLR-Mainout on the Headside to the Aux-In of the DBpro-circuit board of the Soundcard.

Everything is recognized by the Software and recording via Audacity, Skype, even direct monitoring through the SB ZxR Systemcontrol-Panel works fine.
    But I mainly bought the card for the functions of Crystal Voice. And here lies the Problem:
    There is a Dropdown in the Crystal Voice-Section of the Software, where you can select your recording-devise, which will be supported by Crystal Voice, but the only given choice is the Microphone-Jack on the main-circuit-board. I already tried this out, and the Mic is recognized by Crystal Voice, but it is full of noise and interference.

Next things I will do, is to use another connection-cable between the mixer and the Mic-Jack on the Mainboard of the SBZxR, because I used an old cable from a friend to try the Mic-Jack out, so maybe the noise will go away. The Cable will be delivered on monday (today is saturday). Next thing is to try a Cable, that connects the Mic directly to the SB-Mic-Jack, to eliminate the possibility of the noise coming from the mixer (even if the mixer doesn't make any noise, while it is connected to the aux-ins of the DBpro). This cable will also be delivered on monday, along with the other one.
    Third thing is to try another PCIe-Slot further away from the GPU. Right now the SB is connected to a slot right underneath the Titan X and the DBpro is directly under the SB-Mainboard. (It will completly ruin everything I planned for my System, including the plan to use a second GPU in SLI). If this is the source of the noise, I do not understand why the Aux-returns right next to this Jack give a clear signal to the speakers, which are connected to them. o_O

But anyway, now that you know the history of my painful path of scattered crystal voice-hopes, I will state my question:
    Why, by all that is logic in this world, doesn't Crystal Voice support the Aux-Signal, that is coming from the DBpro?! Creative Labs even advertise the DBpro as the devise, which is made especially for recording, so why isn't it supported by the one part of the software, that is dealing with recordings? It makes no sense!
    And why is there a Dropdown, when you only get one thing to choose anyway? It makes even lesser sense!

Btw, I asked the (german (because I'm one of these evil krauts (and this is the reason for my bad grammar))) customer-support, why there is no option to choose the DBpro as a recording-devise in Crystal Voice and I even explained them everything like I did here and their reply was:
    "Crystal Voice only supports the Microphone Jack on the Mainboard. You connected your Microphone to the Aux-Ins of the DBpro."
    Well thanks, Creative! That is exactly, what I told YOU! X'D (<-Tears and Laughter of despair.)

So, is it really true and Crystal Voice doesn't support the DBpro? Or is the guy, who replied to me, one of those guys, who get their money, because he is some kind of sexpet of his boss, despite he is completly incompetent of what he is really hired for?
    If it really isn't supported, then why is there no one in the whole internet, who have asked a question, like I did here? Am I the Idiot, and it is a stupid endeavor to try to record with the thing, that is advertised as the recording-part of the SB ZxR? Did I shift reality and the logic of my thoughts don't fit with the universe anymore?

Please help me. ^^'

Oh, and maybe one of you guys have an idea to shield the SB from electromagnetic interference coming from the GPU without changing the PCIe-Slot? Without the risk of a short circuit?
    That would be great!

Thanks in advance. :)

LedHed likes this.
  2. LedHed

LedHed Jr in Electrical Engineering @ NC State University

I am running a NADY CM100 to a Roll Mini-Mic Preamp that gives me XLR and 1/4" mono outputs. I then run a 1/4" to RCA cable from the Rolls Preamp to the ZXr daughter-board's RCA (line level) inputs.

You can't (or shouldn't) run a mic that requires phantom power into a standard 1/4" mic input found on the ZXr because that input is amplified/boosted on the software end and you could even damage the mic. So yes, we are unable to use CrystalVoice if you are running your recording device into line level RCA inputs at this point.

The reason you probably didn't find this exact question is that most people running mics that require phantom power aren't that concerned with Crystal Voice, or not enough people have had the ZXr in addition to a higher end mic setup.

I have brought up this topic to Rob as a possible fix through PAX drivers.

Here: http://www.hardwareheaven.com/commu...7-up-to-windows-10.233987/page-2#post-1549196

Last edited: May 6, 2017
  3. LedHed

LedHed Jr in Electrical Engineering @ NC State University

I came across this tutorial video showing how to use VST w/ REAPlugs and VB-Virtual Audio Cable to route back to whatever software you need while keeping all of the benefits from your VST suite of tweaks.

I was hoping to get lucky and find that the VB-Audio Virtual Cable would be listed in Crystal Voice, but no dice. However I believe we can use VST to route our sound to the "mic" on the software end and thus fool CrystalVoice.

I haven't done it yet, but I believe it is possible without messing around with drivers and trying to find a work around. I believe this is our work around!

I highly recommend anyone who is trying to get optimum recording quality to take a few minutes to browse across this video for the high points.

(Note: Everything above is completely free software, although of course they welcome donations)