1. The Dark Forum Skin... It's ALIVE!!!!!

Design and Win Your Ultimate PC with Cryo PC CLOSES: Feb 28th 2012

Discussion in 'Competitions Discussion' started by Craig_Humphreys, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Craig_Humphreys

Craig_Humphreys Administrator Staff Member

Design and Win Your Ultimate PC with Cryo PC

This is a very special competition, that won't be for everyone but is a fantastic opportunity.

Design your ultimate PC case and then the best judged design will be CAD drafted and professionally fabricated, reviewed here at HH and then the winner can spec upto £2500 worth of components for it and have it shipped out to them by Cryo PC.

If you don't think you're up for the challenge why not throw a few ideas around below for some of budding designers out there.

Enjoy!
  2. Callandor

Callandor News Poster Staff Member

Man this is such a good opportunity, I wish I had what it took.
  3. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

there is nothing stopping you from entering Callandor. I mean, you've gotta be in it, to win it.

Seeing as uni has ended I have a lot of spare time on my hands, I will definately get a pencil to paper and start designing my case.

One thing though craig, is this limited to certain countries or open worldwide? The discription of the competition doesn't say anything about that...
  4. Craig_Humphreys

It's worldwide and multiple designs can be submitted.
  5. Callandor

Callandor News Poster Staff Member

You can call me Allan if you like, seeing as we play LOL together and chat on Skype all the time. :)
  6. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Can you design the case with anything, even a pencil?
  7. Craig_Humphreys

You can draw it on paper sure, would need to scan it in obviously but any way you want to do it is fine.
  8. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

The questions are hard.

I like how the winners are announced on April 1st. :D Gonna be a questionable announcement whenever the winner gets that highly anticipated e-mail.
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2011
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

More likely everybody that enters will get an April Fools email and they will steal the best ideas and use them in their next computer design..... ;)
  10. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I just went to enter this competition, and there are a number of problems.

I don't want to give away any potential answers, but of the questions asked, one has conflicting answer on the site (although which is correct is fairly obvious), (at least) one will change over time and one cannot currently be accurately answered within the character limit.

If someone can go through those questions as their answers currently stand and say that these problems do not exist, and I'm being daft, that's ok, and I apologise :p
  11. Craig_Humphreys

You're being daft.
  12. Craig_Humphreys

But I will investigate, you're probably correct, we're all a bit daft round here :D
  13. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I've replied. Sorry to bother you, I just didn't want to waste time on an entry (even if my entry is a little hasty :p) if I was going to fail the questions for being either too pedantic or not pedantic enough, or for answering the questions only to have some script throw them out for not being what the answers were when the competition started, or something like that.

I'll reply to any reply in the morning :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention, my entry doesn't have measurements because the main drawing is at 1:2.5 scale :p
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  14. x.clay

x.clay New Member

I have a couple of items I would like clarification on if possible:

1) Are we supposed to spec our PC components as part of our entry or do we just wait and spec them if we are the lucky winner?

2) Would it be possible to get information on CryoPC's manufacturing capabilities? It sounds like they will be building the case "in-house" which would potentially impact what methods they have access too.

Thanks! This is a fun competition with some outstanding prizes. :)
  15. Craig_Humphreys

You do not have to spec the pc as part of your entry no. Tho feel free to share your desired spec here for discussion :)

Cryo will have it professionally drafted, as to their own abilities they seem pretty confident they can handle anything. I'm not expecting cardboard and sticky back plastic at least. :D

So just let your design be as complicated as it needs to be. Tho milled from a solid chunk of aluminium like a macbook might be a stretch.
  16. x.clay

x.clay New Member

thanks for the reply :)

If I did win I was eyeing the 27" dell monitor with a i7-2700k and a pair of 570s. I seem to change out hardware all of the time but it would be pretty nice to have a killer monitor that I could use for several years.
  17. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

I hope some of you guys post your entries in here after the competition is closed so we can see what you came up with.
  18. shALKE

shALKE HH Panther

Agree :)
    Post here if you don't mind.
  19. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

Further to what Blibbax was saying, I'd imagine that the answers for C, D and E will change between 2nd Dec and 28th Feb.
    Frankly, I'm surprised that there's even questions to be answered. Imagine spending all of that time and effort designing the perfect case only to find that one of your answers were wrong. Gotta hurt.
    I'd also like to point out the incorrect spelling of "workstation" in question C.

I'll be submitting an entry and I'd be happy to post it here on 1st March (or thereabouts).

As for the PC spec... £2500... Well I'm guessing it's specced through Cyro PC so I'm basing this on Cryo Tetrad.
    Core i7 3930K Cryo Boost
    16GB Corsair 1866MHz
    Raid 0 240GB Vertex 3
    WD caviar Green 2TB
    LG Blu-Ray Reader
    AMD 6790
    Enermax 1250W
    (Minimum case)
    Extreme Air cooling with fan management
    Linux open source 64-bit (or none, if possible)
    Onboard soundcard
    (No extras)
    -----
    £2489
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  20. blibbax

blibbax nahm8

I think I want for a storage heavy build with a 2600k and a 560Ti. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say this, but Craig indicated to be via PM that given the debatable answers to the questions, answering them bang on might not be so important.