Digital CD audio cable?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by MGaz, Jan 27, 2007.

1. MGaz

MGaz All wheel driver!

Hi.
    I've got a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy pci 5.1 sound card.:lol:

What i don't understand is, before i connected the Digital CD audio cable to the CD_SPDIF, i was (according to windows settings) able to make use of 'Digital audio out' for my dvd drive. I presume it went thru the EIDE cable to the motherboard? because i've NEVER had an 'analog' audio cable connected to my DVD drive / Sound card EVER.:confused:

My question is:
    If I'm right in thinking that the Digital audio went thru the EIDE cable, then what on earth dose one need the CD_SPDIF for?

Is it because it's better in some way, than using the EIDE cable to send the Digital audio to the sound card?
    Less taxing perhaps?:uhoh:

Is there any benefits to either route? & how can i tell if my computer is actualy using the CD_SPDIF or the EIDE cable? :rolleyes:

2. dj_stick

dj_stick Apple Fanboy? Staff Member

it's pretty redundant these days, however when the SB Live! was first debuted, using the analogue cd audio cable was still the predominant method of getting sound from a CD drive - using the digital connection simply improved the quality considerably

however these days it has no use, unless you want to use it as a normal Spdif input (which works perfectly if connected to an RCA socket)

3. Lelisevis

Lelisevis Howlin at the moon

That is one of lifes little mysteries as far as I can tell. It's better not to speak about it just in case it opens up a door to another dimension.
    The PCI bus is well upto doing the job of that mucky little case defiling cable.