DVI no signal

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by BabylenTatarsky, Mar 12, 2013.

1. BabylenTatarsky

BabylenTatarsky Rocks Your Socks

I'm so frustrated right now, but I'll try to type coherently.

I was sat at my computer for about ten minutes after turning it on when all of a sudden my monitor (ASUS VG236HE) went black, the blue on light switched to the orange standby light, and all it said was NO DVI SIGNAL. Weird.

The computer was still on though. I turned it off by holding the button down and when I turned it back on, the computer loaded as normal but still no signal.

I plugged my ps3 into the monitor via HDMI and it worked. However the HDMI cable won't fit into my computer because the casing is in the way. I tried 3 different HDMI cables to no avail. I went to Tesco and bought a VGA cable, only to realise my computer doesn't have a VGA port. >_< It has two DVI slots and one badly placed HDMI hole. My girlfriends laptop doesn't have a DVI slot.

I haven't done any windows updates or graphics driver updates the last time it was working (yesterday!) and don't know what the problem is.

Can anyone please help me?

I've taken the sides off my rig and everything seems to be firmly in place, although I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to hardware.

This is terrible timing because I'm having a party on Saturday and my playlist is on my computer. :(

Please help. Is there a way I can SEE my computer? Need to fix this. :(
  2. BabylenTatarsky

Had a think.

Option one is to use a VGA to DVI adaptor from my parents house. It will allow me to plug my computer into another monitor (my monitor doesn't have a VGA slot). If this works, it will show my DVI cable is broke. This is a long shot but I'm praying its all I need.

Another option would be to saw the rubber casing off a HDMI cable so I can plug it in to my computer. Probably not really worth it because if the VGA to DVI option above doesn't work, it's basically saying some drivers and/or settings have messed up and that's why it's not working.

Which brings me to option three - taking out my graphics card. Really don't know how cos having opened my case it looks different to any case I've looked at in the past. Hopefully my brother can get it out. Will turning my computer on without a graphics card in mean it will come off, if the problem is indeed driver related? If so, what can I then do to fix the problem?

Or can anyone else offer a better solution please? Really wanna get it back up and running before the weekend if possible. Thanks.
  3. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

what about a DVI ~> HDMI adapter?

It's relatively rare situation....

obviously would be nice to have a different cable. to start with.

Have you completely unplugged the dvi cable from the monitor itself.... checked the pins? Make sure everything is back together tight.

You can power up a system without a video card... if it has an IGPU however it'll continue on into windows using that.. if no video card is detected it'll usually beep saying no video card detected.... and halt the system with no progression.

Even at a cold boot... if you still don't see the bios bootup or windows logo/loading progress bar.... then it's most definitely not a driver related issue... it's either a monitor/cable/video card issue.

Have you tried plugging into the other dvi port?

I'd be surprised if it was the video card itself... i'm leaning on the monitor/dvi cable as the culprit.
  4. BabylenTatarsky

I'm really really hoping the cable has just conked out. Currently en-route to get the DVI to VGA adaptor so can test it with a VGA cable into a different monitor later.

I don't know if there are on board graphics (specs are on my profile - it's the computer I won from HH) but my brother says he has an old graphics card to "put me on."

If it does work with the new adaptor I will buy a new DVI cable and hopefully problem solved. If not, I'll try switching the graphics card. It's a pain in the ass that neither my monitor or computer have a VGA slot!

Thanks for the reply. Was really pulling my hair out yesterday. Cos yeah there is no signal at all. Nothing displays. It's not like it cuts out when it reaches windows. I wish!
  5. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Senior Editor Staff Member

Did you try the 2nd DVI port on the graphics card?
  6. BabylenTatarsky

Sure did. Same problem.
  7. Nicu Balmus

Nicu Balmus Сказочный долбоёб

Your motherboard doesn't have iGPU so powering the system up without a videocard is not possible.

Try to find a PCI-E videocard with DVI port from your brother or a friend and boot the system with that and see if it works. If it is, the problem is in your videocard, if not - the problem can be in your monitor or cable.
  8. BabylenTatarsky

YEAH BABY!

Plugged it into a different monitor via the VGA to DVI adaptor and a VGA cable. Hey presto we have a screen. It did come up saying wrong CMOS settings but I think that's just because its been reset and switched off too frequently when I couldn't see a thing.

So the graphics card works cos its outputting DVI to the spare monitor, via VGA. And the original monitor works fine (for HDMI, at least) cos it works for my PS3.

Am I right in thinking all signs point towards buy a new DVI cable and everything should be a-okay? Or is that too simple?

Planning ahead, if that doesn't work I could get a DVI to HDMI adaptor and plug the HDMI cable into my original monitor... but would that affect anything else, like the sound or resolution? I'm hoping the new DVI cable is the answer.

Attached Files:

9. BabylenTatarsky

10. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

should... Some monitors though don't handle HDMI input from a PC quite "right"... so we'll see should give you a picture non the less just may not look as pretty as a dvi or vga connection.
  11. fZel

fZel New Member

I'm experiencing a nearly identical issue, using an ASUS VG278HE, Windows 8 Pro x64, and losing DVI-D input as soon as Windows finishes loading, DVI input is fine during POST and while Windows loads, only after it reaches the log-in screen does it instantly lose the DVI signal and the monitor goes on standby.

I believe it is Windows updates as it happened directly after installing the updates, I did a system restore to just prior to the updates and by the paleness of Geralt's hair, lo and behold DVI input works again, just to test I applied the updates again and restarted just to be sure, and again, no DVI input after Windows loads, but after a system restore again, the DVI is flawless!

Went over the updates, 9 of them total, dated 3/12/13, none of their support articles seem to indicate correlation with DVI/graphics/display input issues...
  12. fZel

fZel New Member

Final thoughts, the solution for me was disabling the particular Windows update(KB2809289) that was causing the issue.

Quite a conundrum that a security update for IE would cause the DVI signal to be lost directly after Windows loads... :hmm:
  13. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Count 'em, 9 Grandkids!

Sounds like the security update disabled HDCP compatibility/compliance for some reason. I did read that there was a recent Windows Update that was pulled due to some problems...maybe this was the one.