Front USB 3.0 Ports Not Working ?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Silverfox, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

I recently built a new rig using the below CM Storm Enforcer case that comes with an internal USB 3.0 cable that is designed to connect directly to the Intel DZ68BC motherboards internal MM labeled connection.

I just tried a new Adata S102 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive in one of the 2 front Storm Enforcer 3.0 ports and they do not function properly. But when i test the Adata Flash Drive out in one of the rear USB 3.0 DZ68BC I/O ports it works just fine. When i do attempt to use one of the front case 3.0 ports the Device Manager will attempt to recognize the device but eventually it just drops out.

Below is pics of the Coolermaster Storm Enforcer case and also pics of the internal Case USB 3.0 cable and its connector designed to plug directly to the MM connection of the DZ68BC motherboard and the front two Case 3.0 ports.

BTW the Adata Flash drive works fine in any of the USB 2.0 ports along with the rear USB 3.0 ports but just not the front 3.0 ports.

I cant figure this one out ? The connector will only plug in one way and all the wiring is intact and latest drivers from the windows 7 OS installed.

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

Storm Enforcer Case:

CM Storm Products: Enforcer

Regards, Ron

2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

Anything in the device manager that doesn't have drivers for it? I'm thinking just maybe the motherboard might be using a separate chip for the USB front port connector and it then needing separate drivers.

Nice memory stick by the way, mine proved to be much faster on reads than the official specs.

3. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

In device manager it shows the device has the correct and latest drivers for it. I also installed the latest USB 3.0 drivers from the Intel website for the DZ68BC motherboard. The MB internal USB 3.0 header that is feeding the front 2 USB 3.0 ports should be using the exact same drivers that the rear DZ68BC I/O USB 3.0 ports are using and the rear work just fine with the Adata 16GB flashdrive.

Dont make any sense to me unless i need to update the Motherboards Bios but i have read all the release notes in regards to the latest Intel Bios update releases and i see nothing relating to any USB 3.0 fixes.

I just built this new rig last week and so far this is the only problem i have incurred with the below specs:

------------------------------------------

Case: CM Storm Enforcer Midtower/ USB3.0
    CPU : i7-2600K
    Mobo: Intel DZ68BC Extreme
    Ram : Corsair Vengeance pc1600/ 16gb
    Video: EVGA Nvidia 560ti
    HDD: SSD 129GB Intel 520 series & 1.5 TB WD Caviar Black
    Pwr.Supply: Rosewill Capstone 650watt Gold Rated 80+
    CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO

Fans: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 120mm rear exhaust
    NZXT Sentry Mesh 5.25 Bay Fan controller

ASUS DVD Burner

LG Bluray Burner/Player

AFT USB 3.0 Multi-Card reader 5.25 Bay

----------------------------------------------------------

Just another head scratcher to figure out ! :confused:

Regards, Ron

4. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

You're not alone with this issue. I've seen this come up with various builds I've done as well as from others all over the net, and a lot of times it always come down to a problem with the case itself, or rather either the cable or connectors on either side. The last time I had an issue was with the Carbide 400R case from Corsair to which they sent out a replacement.

If you've got a bit of money to spare grab yourself something like THIS or THIS. They're essentially USB 3.0 header to USB 3.0 port adapters. I bought the latter one (look on Ebay for "USB 3.0 A Female to 20 pin adapter" which "A" is the type of header you want to convert from, or USB3.0 Female to 20 pin, and change the "Sort by" to "Price+Shipping: Lowest First") after I got tired of calling the motherboard manufacturer only to have them tell me it's the case, and having the case manufacturer telling me it's the board, or both blaming Windows, or drivers. An adapter like this rules out or confirms it's the case as the issue right off the bat.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  5. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

So your essentially suggesting that the below internal cable with the multi pin connector supplied by CoolerMaster to be connected directly to the Motherboards USB 3.0 internal header is the problem ?

Are the connector pins wired wrong ?
    Is the cable itself bad ?

--------------------------------------------------------

If i buy either one of the adapters you linked from e-bay i would still have to purchase two USB 3.0 extension cables around 18" long to reach the front case USB 3.0 fixed ports depicted below:

-------------------------------------------------------------

It is sort of hard for me to believe CM would have supplied bad cables or multi-pin connectors that are mis-wired.

BTW i had already done some internet research and read the problem the person had with the Corsair 400r case.

IMHO i guess anythings possible but it sure seems to me that if CM shipped these cases out with bad miswired connectors or cables, the internet would be flooded with complaints pertaining to just this Storm Enforcer case.

I went ahead and purchased the below adapter from e-bay which is identical to the one you referenced on Amazon but much cheaper even though it usually takes 10 days to get items from Hong Kong delivered here to Texas:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Port-USB-...ltDomain_0&hash=item336e06d5fc#ht_2903wt_1396

Like you mentioned this will either identify the Intel DZ68BC MB or the case being the culprit when i plug the Adata USB 3.0 16GB flash drive essentially directly into the internal MB header using this adapter.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  6. Tipstaff

The idea isn't to permanently use the adapter, but to troubleshoot with it. By ruling out certain things FOR SURE you've got ammo to use against whomevers product is at fault here. If it's the board, then Intel can't back out of their warranty responsibility as you've singled it out as the cause (although drivers/OS can still be a problem). Same thing if it's case, however if it is they've got nothing else to fall back on blame wise other than themselves. Once I had singled out the 400R as the problem Corsair sent me a whole new front I/O panel for it free of charge.

There is one thing that I forgot to mention, and you might kill me if this turns out to be the problem. In the bios there are 2 sections that deal with USB 3.0. One deals with enabling/disabling the USB 3.0 controller, which you don't need to worry about as it's obvious it's working, at least in the back ports, but there is one section (if it's there on that board) that deals with enabling/disabling the "Secondary USB 3.0 Controller". It should be under Configuration | On-Board Devices | USB in the bios, and should be Enabled. In fact both options for USB 3.0 are listed one on top of the other in there.

Edit: Part of me hopes it's just something simple like that, but the other part of me hopes it's not seeing as you bought the adapter.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  7. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

I had already checked thoroughly within the Intel Bios and all the usb 3.0 ports were enabled. This DZ68BC MB Bios does not contain any options for secondary USB and their is only one place under "Configuration" in the Bios that pertains to USB other then under "Boot Options". So spending 8 bucks for the adapter to troubleshoot is no more then a double cheeseburger meal ! :D

I will bookmark this thread and reply back my findings whenever i get the adapter which will probably be at least 10 days from HK overseas.

Regards, Ron

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

UPDATE: I finally received the adapter for testing purposes.

The problem was NOT resolved with the DZ68BC internal USB 3.0 header failing to work properly and another consumer has the exact same problem that Intel could care less to address let alone resolve:

DZ68BC Front Case USB 3.0 Not working Properly

Regards, Ron

9. Tipstaff

Sorry to hear that, Silverfox. I know you're pissed at Intel, but at the very least I would get them to replace the board, especially since you've proven it's not the case nor the devices you were using that was causing the issue. At least at that point you'd get a replacement, and if it doesn't work you can still try to sell it off.

The other options would be to try to find a pass-through cable that you can attach the front panel header to, and pass it through to the back ports, or grab yourself a PCIe USB3.0 card like the Silverstone EC03B-P which has a USB3.0 header on it. Not ideal, but it would get things up and running for you without sacrificing the rear ports.

10. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Thanks for following this thread along with your tips & advice.

Routing the cables to the rear is not an alternative since i am already using the two Intel DZ68BC ISB 3.0 I/O ports for the below AFT USB 3.0 Multi-Card Reader that fortunately does include a USB 3.0 input port, along with cables long enough to reach from one of the front 5.25" bays to the case rear ports. The card reader works exceptionally well since i did build this rig primarily for Photo & Video editing and needed the higher data transfer rates USB 3.0 provides.

Newegg.com - AFT PRO-57U All-in-one USB 3.0 5.25" Media Card Reader

Replacing the board under warranty IMO would not resolve a production line or software issue that im sure plagues every one of these Intel DZ68BC boards. Other folks are experiencing the exact same scenario and i have NOT had one owner of this specific board claim there internal USB 3.0 header works as advertised.

Like most folks i wanted the two extra USB 3.0 ports to function properly for future USB 3.0 devices that are still being released on the market not to mention the consumer getting what they paid for. It really is a shame Intel cannot resolve or admit fault with a simplistic issue as this.

BTW, CoolerMaster is sending me under warranty a complete new front header including connectors & cabling to see if it might be there problem although i NOW know it is not. It would be nice if Intel had direct support 1/2 as good, but unfortunately Intel must use " Live Chat " support folks based in Bangladesh or Calcutta reading & typing back from a guided troubleshooting handbook. They are totally useless.

Sorry for the rant !

Regards, Ron

11. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

UPDATE:

NOTE: Bear in mind yesterday i had re-installed the original USB 3.0 Renesa 2.1.28.0 drivers direct from Intel`s download center site and my problems still existed.

An hour ago i un-installed or deleted the light greyed out areas under "View Hidden Files" in Device Manager once again in both Storage Volumes & USB devices that indicate previously detected devices.

D\L the latest Renesa USB 3.0 version 2.1.28.1 drivers and installed them. Shut the pc down and rebooted.

RENESAS/NEC Drivers & Firmwares

Tested the previous known working USB 3.0 front port housed with the AFT USB 3.0 Card Reader that is plugged into the rear DZ68BC USB 3.0 I/O ports and it works just fine also with the new Renesa 2.1.28.1 drivers. After this i once again deleted the Storage Volume & USB devices greyed out detections so the next port test would require a driver d\l again from a new test port site.

Then tested the Storm Enforcer top left USB 3.0 port connected to the dreaded DZ68BC internal USB 3.0 BB 19pin header connection and with utter amazement it was detected, installed the drivers and works just great transferring a large 1.5gb file at over 100mbs using the below Adata S102 16gb Flash drive that previously would not work with the originally installed Renesa USB 3.0 2.1.28.0 drivers from Intel`s Download center site.

Newegg.com - ADATA Value-Driven S102 Pro Effortless Upgrade 16GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (Gray) Model AS102P-16G-RGY

Then tested the front top right Storm Enforcer USB 3.0 port and it reacted sort of quirky at first but finally responded and it appears so far to be working just fine also.

I have NO idea how long they will work since some folks have claimed they have just quit working or become intermittent, but it looks like the guy i mentioned on Newegg last night that could not get his Rosewill USB 3.0 Pci card to work until he installed the latest .1 drivers might just be right.
    I still have absolutely no clue as to why the rear DZ68BC USB 3.0 ports work but the problem in my case and others is always associated with the internal 19 pin Motherboard header.

So as i suspected NO Intel Bios update cures this problem, nothing wrong with the Coolermaster Storm Enforcer front case ports, cabling or 19 pin female connector, and swapping out the motherboard surely would not cure it either.

Of course like alot of these phenoms only time will tell but im glad this fiasco is cured and hopefully not just temporary.

Might not cure all the USB 3.0 issues out there with various 3.0 plug-in devices but i would highly suggest folks install these latest Renesa 2.1.28.1 drivers released on 1/19/12 that Intel has still not added to windows updates or to there download center site.

Regards, Ron ;)

12. Tipstaff

Thanks for the update on this. I'll have to keep an on it for when, or if the other board I had comes back.

I ran into a problem when I first got my Asus P7P55D-E Pro which I think runs the same, or similar chip (NEC now sells the chip under the Renesas name). The original driver worked fine, as did drivers I got off Asus' website, but there was an optional driver update via Windows Update that, when installed, pooched everything (along with a couple other things as the chip is tied into the PCIe bus). This was for the entire USB3.0, no front panel header, which is why I didn't think of it for your case.

Intel, from what I gather, is the only guys using the newest 2.1 driver. Everyone else (including Asus) still uses the old 2.0.4, and I've yet to have a problem with USB3.0 on their boards (like the P8P67 PRO).

13. Silverfox

Silverfox New Member

Well whats funny is the latest Renesa 2.1.28.1 drivers are actually still the 2.1.28.0 version but Renesa added an installation within the .1 version that now does not require the user to un-install previous older versions. So you can simply install these new ones over the top. In device manager the version will still depict the 2.1.28.0

I have NO clue as to why it cured my problem but crossing my fingers it wont just be temporary.

Since so many newly released plug-in devices are using the NEC/Renesa chipset this seemingly similar issue around the internet from users might be cured once & for all if Renesa releases a new future firmware along with actual new drivers.

Regards, Ron ;)

14. ericepp

ericepp New Member

I had an issue with the USB2.0 front ports not working since I built this computer last year. I finally decided to look into it today. glad I did. I verified that I had connected the USB 2.0 header to the motherboard, which I had. I then took off both side panels and the top panel. I removed the USB/audio/fan control assembly and looked underneath where the USB ports are mounted. To my relief, I found the USB 2.0 connectors were not seated into the back of the port headers. Actually, they weren't even near them. they probably came out in shipping, or were inadvertently pulled out at time of assembly. there is not a lot of slack on them. When you remove the panel assembly. you will need to loosen the wire loom that is attached to the right side of the case. it was an easy fix. you don't need to remove the circuit board from the plastic assembly housing; just remove the entire assembly. there are 2 screws on each side holding it down, and one screw on each side for the ground wires. I hope this helps somebody else.

https://tinyurl.com/ybant8f7

https://tinyurl.com/y896doqh

15. MIG-31

MIG-31 HardwareHeaven News Mod Staff Member

The last post were a little over 5 years ago, which makes your help (Or post) a little pointless.

Sorry but this thread is now closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.