FutureMark Time Spy

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Judas, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Figured since this is the new directx12 benchmark which is considered "seperate" from the rest... it makes sense right?

Recently been handling a few of the RX 460/470/480's... but due to circumstances i've only got the RX 460 still on hand for a couple weeks before it gets stuffed into another machine and off to a customer.

In the meantime:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14531580?

This is an HIS RX 460 4GB iCooler

What i can say is that the intel Stock cooler (which runs very quiet already)... is louder than the GPU's cooler which took roughly 60 seconds for it to start spinning after the demo/test actually began (no the loading screen), at which point it looks like it's hovering around 800rpm roughly. Touching the gpu heatsink directly during benchmarks... didn't even feel warm to the touch.

It would have been nice if some of the 3rd party manufacturers actually created a non pci-ex 6 pin version of the cards, or at least made it so that you didn't have to plug in the pci-ex 6 pin at all unless you intended on overclocking (should have been built into the bios to adjust clocks automatically if it sensed a 6 pin or not to keep within the requirements of the gpu/ram power).

2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

What, the 460 scores that little?!

Here is my 7950, stock speed (840MHz): link. 1897 overall and 1715 GPU score.

AMD recieved a bit of a backlash that their cards were pulling too much power from the PCIe slot and thus slowly killing motherboards. It happened right after 480s were launched and they actually adjusted the amount of power those cards took from each source with subsequent driver releases and I suppose that they wanted to play it safe with the new cards. In theory, 460s are sub 75W cards, they probably wanted to be safe, possibly for the sake of both overclocking and some less than bulletproof motherboards.

3. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

Here are my scores:

Single GPU - 10736 - http://www.3dmark.com/spy/348612
    SLI - 16862 - http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/14432803?

Single GPU @ 2126 Core, 11016 Mem
    SLI GPUs @ 2038 Core, 11016 Mem

CPU @ 4.4GHz
    Mem @ 3200 12-12-12-32-1T

I think I can eek out some slightly higher scores with CPU @ 4.5 and HB SLI bridge... will be doing some more tweaking once the final build is complete.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

For a entry level 1080p "capable" card... that pulls roughly 60-75watts... i'd have to say that performs exceptionally well for a highend benchmark. Specially if a RX460 for such a low price is able to directly compete with a 7950! I mean you have a 7950 with twice as many SPs as the RX460... and they get similar results...

Not only was the whole thing nonsense.. specially considering the plethora of cards in the past that not only peaked the "spec" but exceeded it by variable percentages. There is zero evidence of any case in which a RX4xx card had killed a single motherboard. There are only examples of people doing some very stupid things that anyone in the know has stated that damage was either done prior to the card (mining systems without powered slots which was claimed to be required), to the case in which someone's ATX 24 pin connector was burnt with the claim the RX480 did it, but further investigation has clearly shown that the overclock and voltages used on the motherboard/cpu in combination with other components, that the user had fried his own by taking them WAY out of spec to begin with. Plenty of engineers and people that know their shit have explained that the motherboard design of even a cheap model in order to comply, should be able to withstand a draw of well over 120watts from a single pci-ex slot. So it's completely baseless specially since we still haven't seen any cases of a problem existing.

The exception to this isn't power related, but it's pci-ex version capability issues. Something i've personally ran into occasionally with some boards where either no post or weird crash/issues with various series of cards. Such as all the HD5xxx cards and after not working in the ATI Xpress 3200 boards even though some of the older xpress chipsets still work (go figure).

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

I didn't know 460 had so few SPs, although it's worth considering that it also has 45% higher clock (if the data is correct, your GPU was at 1220MHz). It's a 38% increase in performance per clock per SP, which is not bad, but 460 is three generations and 4.5 years newer. I see the 4GB version for $130 on newegg, and I have to agree that that is good value, though.