Gaming laptop

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by niceguyrichy, Jun 28, 2013.

1. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

kid asked me to find a laptop for him, only thing it has to be good at is gaming, not bothered about portability etc or anything like that

found a refurb Asus G74SX, 2.2Ghz i7, 8GB, 500GB HDD, GTX 560M, and obviously the rather wonderful looking 17.3" 1920x1080 screen
    for £500

am I gonna do any better than that, for a purely gaming machine on a 5 - 600 budget ?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

First of all, if he doesn't care about portability, he can get a better deal for a desktop system.

Now, if he only wants to get a laptop, the system is good and for 500 it is not a terrible deal at all. BUT, it is refurbished. I don't trust them. If he does, I guess it's a good system.

3. niceguyrichy

well it does have to be a laptop, albeit it can be a large heavy one, it still needs to fit easily in a suitcase

show me a decent gaming laptop for £500 brand new then :)

4. Trusteft

Last time I actively looked for a laptop was 6 years ago.
    I don't even know the guy, why should I spent my time searching for a laptop for him? :p

5. niceguyrichy

:lol:
    post was rather directed at people who would already know where to point me in
    not looking to have someone do the donkey work for me (much) :D

my main problem is that i have no idea how good/bad/otherwise mobile gfx are
    I mean i saw this, but how good (or bad) is the 630M ?? :confused:

12GB of RAM is overkill for general surfing and gaming, CPU is ok i suppose, what about that 630 ?

6. Stuart_Davidson

Stuart_Davidson Well-Known Member

GT 630M is going to get you 1280x720 gameplay in something like Grid 2 at high detail... Newer stuff like Crysis 3 will be a struggle maybe even on low.

7. niceguyrichy

hmm, doesn't sound so great
    thanks

I'm still tempted to suggest he takes his chances with the refurb
    this is what that comparison site makes of the difference between them:

[​IMG]

looks like a fairly huge difference
    and there's the quad vs dual core too

8. Trusteft

Well, if the numbers are correct and my memory is good (it usually isn't) the 3d mark 2006 for the 560 seems to be in the range of a 4870X2. But I could be wrong. So I guess, don't take this post into account. :(

9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i'd advise against getting a refurb...

but in the end..

gaming laptops that are able to push out a decent frame rate at 1080p are not cheap... at all.

Any that are speced out good for cheap... there is a reason for it.

10. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

So what laptop did you eventually end up buying and what does your kid think of it?

11. niceguyrichy

got him the Asus G74SX refurb
    it's an absolute monster, he's delighted with it apparently

had a play with it for a couple days, very impressed with how quiet it is considering the specs I have to say :)

12. gaetan

gaetan Active Member

I have no experience with gaming laptops (hence me responding now :D) but whenever someone asks me for gaming laptops, I usually tell me Asus makes laptops with specs rather interesting for gaming.

One thing is for sure, if I ever want a gaming laptop in the future, I'm heading to Asus out of instinct :)

13. Calliers

Yup, Asus is the way. I trust them the most for gaming laptops as well even if I myself have an Acer. My Acer is like one of the laptops like mkk said in another thread somewhere, it gets really hot after a few months of getting really dusty inside and I have to blow the dust out again to keep things cool while playing. The dual vent cooling system on Asus gaming laptops is just amazing.

14. gaetan

gaetan Active Member

I have the exact same situation, Acer that gets too hot due to dust after a few months. However I used to play with mine before getting a desktop, but it's still a good gaming computer for casual on the move gaming :)

Calliers likes this.
  15. PandaZ3

PandaZ3 Active Member

I bought a MSI GX-70 (US Specs) last week. It has a AMD Richland A10-5750 CPU and a 8970M GPU, 17.3 " screen, LED backlit keyboard. One of the things I was really looking for was HDMI and a Mini-DisplayPort, and it has them. It came with a Crysis 3 download, and while I have downloaded it I have not tried to game with the computer. The backlit keyboard is more helpful in a dimmer room than I thought and so far it works great. It has a nice brushed aluminum case. I bought it online so I had not physically seen it until it arrived and I was not disappointed. I paid $1300 US for it and am happy with what I got for the money.
    MSI does make some higher priced Gaming notebooks with various Intel CPU's including I7's.

16. Calliers

MSI makes solid laptops as well, they're a good second choice from Asus laptops.

17. molee

molee New Member

If you want a gaming laptop i would suggest a clevo/sager cos the are upgradeable ( yes even the graphic card). Asus does a decent laptop but i find some of their laptop too expensive. your can get the laptop barebone and customise it to your preference but they are not cheap but you could get a good customised laptop with the d=same amount you would get a brand new high end asus laptop

18. BarneyJ

BarneyJ New Member

U should buy Acer. I use one for couple years, have a lot of games and applications (that's for my work). Got very good impression from that lap top.

19. Sondra Draper

Sondra Draper Member

I heard too that Asus is a good gaming laptop. But if you have a budget, you go for Alienware which is the world's best high performance for a PC gaming.

20. Calliers

Lol, guys, it's good you would like to help out but you really should look at the dates of the posts, the laptop has probably long been bought. ;)

*waits for MIG to come lock thread*