General ASIO use in Sonar 7 pro. + Audigy 2 ZS platinium

Discussion in 'ASIO' started by alexaepathy, May 13, 2008.

1. alexaepathy

alexaepathy New Member

Hello I'm new to KX, I've tried looking in the archives, but can't find the answer.

I have Sonar set to 48khz sample rate, 16 bit recording. using ASIO

When I open Sonar a Creative ASIO window appears telling me that

"There are no Creative audio products installed and running on the system that support ASIO"

I receive 2 of these windows, one after another.

At this point sonar opens, and I do have all the ASIO inputs available on my tracks, but I can't get any signal to go in.

The recording engine button is grayed out, and I can't click it to lock on green.

When I press the record button, sonar complains that

"Unable to open audio record device. Device may not support the current project's audio format or may be in use."

When I record using WDM, I have no problems.

All my DSP settings are defaulted, and I have no problems hearing playback.

My real question is, does ASIO work right out of the box after installing the kX drivers?

Am I doing something wrong in my Sonar / ASIO Control Panel config.

Here is a screenshot of my DSP settings:

http://s95196534.onlinehome.us/alex/other/alexDSP.JPG

Thanks for the help.
  2. Russ

Russ New Member

Yes, kX ASIO (generally) does work right out of the box, however you will not get any signal until you enable whichever inputs your are routing to ASIO in kX Mixer, etc. From the picture, you are routing prolog to ASIO, so make sure the inputs that you want to use are enabled on the Ins and Outs page of kxmixer, and if you are using AC97, that the correct AC97 source is selected on the AC97 page of kxmixer.

Aside from the above:

Your ASIO settings sound right...
    What OS are you using? (I am not sure what the status is (currently) with kX ASIO in Vista)

The error referring to "Creative audio products" makes me wonder if maybe some remnants of the Creative driver are hanging around and causing problems. Make sure that you are selecting kX ASIO in Sonar, and not some other ASIO driver. Also, you might try using a program like Driver Cleaner Pro to remove any remnants of the Creative driver (and maybe reinstall kX).

I am not familiar with Sonar myself, so I cannot offer much info on configuring it, etc, beyond the above info.
    Last edited: May 13, 2008
  3. alexaepathy

alexaepathy New Member

Thanks for the tips, I was able to get a signal to record through Sonar using ASIO after I created a new file that reflected a 16 bit / 48k bit rate.

I just have one more question, I can record "line in 2" from the front of my live drive, and I can record SPDIF in as well, but I can't record them at the same time, when I plug in the spdif while the line in 2 is plugged in, it mutes the physical signal from line in 2.

The question is:

Is this a config issue that I haven't realized on the dsp/routing/mixer

or

Is this a limitation of ASIO, I was under the impression that ASIO can handle multiple signals with thier own controls, all at one time.

I really appreciate the help, thanks in advance.
  4. Russ

Russ New Member

I have no experience with Livedrive's, etc, as my card does not have one, so I am not sure what their capabilities are (i.e. which inputs can be used at the same time, etc), but it seems your issue is related to that. Hopefully someone else can give your more info...
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

I don't have the 2 ZS, but with the original Audigy Platnum I can record line in 2 (mic input with vol turned all the way down is a stereo line input) and CD-SPDIF coming from my Live! (second card) at the same time, I think the drive unit is different between the audigy (1) platnum and the audigy 2 ZS Platnum tho' so I'm not sure about your situation.

I can get the Live! input via CD-SPDIF port on the audigy, Line2 and AUX 2 via the Drive unit and Aux in to the audigy (at the card) all at the same time. That's 8 mono, with no hassle.
  6. alexaepathy

alexaepathy New Member

Right now I am not using the cd_spdif, I'm using the "coaxial input" on the fron t of the live drive. Which DAW program are you using, I am thinking of trying Cubase and Ableton Live to test.

I guess with your setup Ty, you are using an Audigy platinum and a 2nd Sound Blaster live card.

And with each of these cards, you are using one external input (LIve drive for platinum, pci card ports on Live!)

and a few internal ports (AUX1 /AUX2 on the Audigy, CD/SPDIF on the internal part of the Live card

So I just want to understand, can 2 inputs be used on the live drive at one time, or do I need to mix 1 live drive input with an input at the Audigy pci card (extermal jack input)

or did I understand you completely wrong?

THanks for the help
  7. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

Yes, live drive inputs can be recorded discretely - Line 2 on 1 track (say ASIO 0/1) and Aux 2 on on another track (say ASIO 2/3) - and COAX SPDIF in on a third track (say ASIO 4/5)

All recording at same time - I have done this in Sonar 5.

The AC97 based inputs are the ones that may get mixed (A2ZS can use 2 discretely via the UDA output of the Profx plugin - but you need the update to profx, as the version bundled with kx is older and does not include the ADC plugin that allows this.

Hope that helps...
  8. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

Yeah, what Maddogg said...... I'm using Reaper and the new opensource Audacity 1.3.5 or somesuch , Reaper is a little dodgy with asio, but that's settings and my brain, not the progams fault. I don't have sonar and haven't tried this setup with Guitar Tracks pro 3, (cakewalk) but I bet it would work........ more settings....

Basicly I have the hardware working, wadeing through the setup stuff right now, but it does work.

*mumbles incoherently*

Sheesh :duh:
  9. alexaepathy

alexaepathy New Member

Thanks for the help guys, I was able to record line in 2(1/4" in) and Aux 2 (rca) at the same time.

but still no s/pdif at the same time as the others, I think the live drive can't do analog and digital ins at the same time on my particular machine?

This is cool for the moment, I guess it is a learning process.

Had a quick question about the response above by Maddogg,

AC97 inputs/outputs are the ones on the back of the pci card correct?

UDA, I am not familiar with this term, could you please elaborate?

And the Profx, is this a componenet of kx driver? And why would I need to update?

THanks in advance
  10. Maddogg6

Maddogg6 Tail Razer

If you look at:
    right click on kX tray icon > settings > SPDIF/I2S status
    You can see if a legitimate SPDIF signal is seen by kX.
    That SPDIF (the live drive) for me is labeled 'COAX / OPTICAL' and 'SPDIF B' and make sure you have SPDIF *OUT* connected to the live drives SPDIF *IN*.
    edit: It should work, I suspect a problem with your SPDIF source that connects to your live drive..?? or your not understanding kX well enough yet ?? /edit
    Yes - as well as the ones on the cards edge (AUX, CD IN (analog) TAD)
    But the CD Digital is not AC97 based, and I use that too (connects my SBLive cards out to my A2's CD digital in)

If you update your profx plugins, you will see a ADC plugin, that, because I have an A2 ZS (Im not sure what all card models have the UDA) - will show 4 output pins on the plugin in in the kX DSP screen. Thus, is possible to use 2 AC97 inputs discretely - I use AUX input (a DB50XG daughter board from my old AWE32 card) - and line in (My TV USB tuner) - and they never get mixed unless I want them to be.
    The UDA outputs are actually a little quieter with a slightly lower noise floor than the AC97 output pins.

Yes, Profx is a set of plugins developed by Lex, and is bundled with kX - but.... its an older version, so, if you want to use 2 AC97 inputs discreetly (and access the UDA input), you must get profx updated.
    ProFx Version 3.x

I think UDA is a type of codec, Im not sure, all I know is it allows me to use 2 ac97 inputs discreetly with kX.
    edit: also, on kX mixer page - the UDA is also referred to 'AC97-2'. /edit
    Last edited: May 18, 2008
  11. JGSF

JGSF New Member

Do a search in your windows folder (might need to enable hidden/system files search?) for ctasio*.* and delete all the files it finds. :) If necessary, reinstall kx after. That should solve it.