HELP: Crackling Sound from SPDIF

Discussion in 'PAX Download - USB Series' started by Ladonn, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Ladonn

Ladonn New Member

Hi,
    Please help, I just got Sound Blaster Omni 5.1 USB to replace my Sound Blaster Z (I need the space, its too close to my video card and blocks its cooling).
    Im using creative and not on-board sound because I need Dolby Live encoder for my Turtle Beech elite 800 headphones.

So I connected the SB Omni 5.1 USB to my, connected the SPDIF cable to my headphone, went to control panel and Supported formats page, selected Dolby Digital and pressed the test button, instead of proper sound I get crackling like old engine sound! Thats with Windows drivers.
    After updating to Creative Windows 10 drive, its excatlly same thing.
    If I open a movie with AC3 5.1 sound and select SPDIF Bitstreaming, i get this crackling sound.
    If I enable Dolby Digital Live, i get this crackling sound non stop.
    My Sound Blaster Z works fine, outputs Dolby and Dolby Live no issues in windows 10

Any ideas? How to solve this?

Thanks

2. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

How old is psu?

3. vermillion

vermillion New Member

It's windows 10.
    Digital live and DTS don't work yet.

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Windows 10's DDL and DTS-C 5.1 support/fix should be implemented potentially already if you are using an insiders build.... otherwise if you remain on the official outsiders version (which most everyone is) it could be potentially another few weeks to a month.

The only thing i actually made a thorough report on when windows 10 was being beta'd and apparently went COMPLETELY ignored, via their feedback and online support report system, was regarding the failure that occurred shortly after 9929 and prior to 10,000's.

I immediately noticed the problem and thoroughly tested it on quite a few different systems that supported DDL or DTS-C, be it via add-in card or via motherboard audio chip from via/realtek/etc. All produced the exact same problem indicating that it wasn't a bug in the driver for it (specially when the same working driver was used), but a microsoft induced issue.

I also know i was not the only one to report it, there is a lengthy thread on microsoft own answers forms as well... among a few dozen others that surround it but aren't as popular. Add to this countless other forums across the web basically like this one reporting issues only to find out later it's a microsoft bug in windows 10.

Just irritates the living crap out of me that we knew.... they HAD to have known and had it reported as well by many, that during the beta there was an obvious problem.... and they had MONTHS and months of time to fix it....

5. Ladonn

Ladonn New Member

Creative fixed by giving me OLDER firmware.
    When i got the sound card first thing I did before testing it was downloading latest drivers and updating the firmware.
    The gave me an older one and now it works fine.

Robert McClelland likes this.
  6. Robert McClelland

Robert McClelland I'm An Uncle for 2nd time Staff Member

Good to hear that