Help with a Acer Nitro v15 Black Edition

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by Mr Cairo, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

My son has been after a reasonable gaming laptop for a while, managed to get an ex display model in a grade condition and it seems sound

however performance seems to be slower than I expect, first thing I did was a clean install of windows and then update everything, after this however Windows seems to be slow to login and then slow to open programs (my wifes old samsung laptop is faster)

however gaming performance is great I installed and played Dishonoured (the new one) and it plays just fine

its just the windows side f it slow to open firefox slow to open programs , the diagnostic app that was built into the laptop said Memory, HD and CPU are all good

Any suggestions

2. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Double the RAM and replace the hard drive with an SSD?

3. Mr Cairo

you want me to put 16gig of ram in a laptop just to improve windows ...?

seems a bit overkil

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

8GB is sitll relatively sufficient for most things.... i've personally yet to see a circumstance under normal conditions where 12 or 16gb was needed, at least for gaming at the moment.

Sluggish startup and slow program starts usually tends to end up being a looping task that is either failing or timing out that appears to be holding everything else up. I recently had to deal with a symptom like this and it ended up being a laptop 3rd party chipset or controller or even touchpad driver that was automatically downloaded and installed by windows update. Suffice it to say, i ended up disabling the device, removing the software and then downloading a newer referrence model.

Another situation that occured a few months ago, ended up needing a bios update that also included firmware updates to the intel's MEI which took care of the sluggish/laggy like stuttering issue.

In both cases, once a program was running, things seemed to continue working, but it was just so damn slow and sluggish getting around from program to program and loading windows and even taking AGES to shutdown.

Obviously swapping out for an SSD should really improve everything considerably...

5. Mr Cairo

Sorry Judas I missed your reply earlier ..... I have tried running this with the default (outdated) drivers from the Acer site (same issue) and then with a clean install and the Windows update drivers and the issue persists, performance in windows is just Ok but gaming is excellent.

I have looked at replacing the drive with an SSD and it looks doable but this is one of those laptops where you have to strip it to the keyboard to get at the HD .... I do miss the days of easy access panels in the base

Have 2 months to try and resolve this, currently installing the Fall update on it maybe that will sort something :)

6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

I seem to recall some units coming with Windows 8.1. Did it come with that, or Windows 10? And which V15 model do you have exactly?

Right now I'm thinking 1 of 2 things: chipset driver, or bios setting, so the next question is: when you did the clean install, did you run the chipset driver afterwards? Are there any missing/unknown devices in Device Manager?