High Vcore reading

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by lemontree, Jun 12, 2008.

1. lemontree

lemontree New Member

Hello esteemed members of DH, i'm new here and already require help!

So basically i have an ASUS P5N32-E SLI and during boot up after it checks RAM and attached devices the computer beeps and gives me a warning message. The message states to check voltage, temperature and all that in the bios, so i did. It turns out the Vcore is at 2.04V so to my knowledge this is quite high since i think normal values range from 1.2 - 1.5V. However when i check the Vcore voltage in ntune it reports 1.45V. So is this a motherboard fault or is ntune inaccurate?
    I should also mention i've actually been running the PC for about 6 months now and it's running stable. I actually forgot i ignored the Vcore voltage the first time round until now! So anyone have any thoughts about this?
  2. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

I'd assume that this value is wrong and that there should be another Vcore value listed that reports a more normal level. Using a program like SpeedFan could identify both these values as Vcore1 and Vcore2, whereas most other utilities only report Vcore1 which is the correct one. If I remember correctly the Vcore2 value is derived from the same sensor but using a different method of calculation that was more correct for old CPU's that had a normal voltage of about 2V and above. It seems odd that the ASUS BIOS would report on it still, but they might still have it there for some testing reason.

Try a couple of other utlitilies like the mentioned SpeedFan and the highly regarded CPU-Z to see that they give you values more in line with what nTune does. Then you can rest easy. It's also quite likely that the CPU would have died already if it had been running on 2.0V for so long. :)
  3. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard DH's oldest Geek

Yeah, that sounds like the BIOS is not reporting the right voltage.

Have you checked to see if there is a newer BIOS that may have addressed that issue?
  4. procupine14

procupine14 Why is it Beeping!?!?!

I've nocticed that some of the sensors on ASUS boards do odd things. Especially when it comes to temps. This is a new one for me. But since your CPU is still in one piece I assume you are ok.
  5. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

i think i would just RMA the motherboard if i were you.
  6. lemontree

lemontree New Member

Ok so i've downloaded speed fan (4.34) and opened it up. The voltage readings i get are:
    Vcore1: 1.98V
    Vcore2: 2.59V
    +3.3V: 1.95V
    +5V: 4.17V
    +12V: 10.11V
    -12V: -6.93V
    -5V: 2.59V
    +5V: 4.17
    Vbat: 2.59
    Vcore: 0.00V

To me a lot of these voltages seem off? Could it have something to do with how i actually plugged my PSU into the motherboard. There is the normal ATX power plug and a secondard 6 or 8pin connection for power. With the 6/8 pin connection i think 2 of the pins were blocked for 6pin connection but i removed the seal and plugged an 8pin connector. Would that have an effect on these voltages?
  7. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

That does definitely look bad. The negative voltage sensors can be disregarded but not only does the Vcore really run way too high but +5V and +12V is way off too. I'd suspect a faulty Powersupply or/and Motherboard. Or just maybe an underpowered powersupply in conjunction with a Vcore manually set way wrong value in the BIOS. Check that BIOS setting first as this kind of core voltage can damage the CPU.

The manual describes the power connectors on page 2-31. From your description it seems that your wiring is correct. The 6pins should be labeled PCIe and are used for graphics cards that need extra power.
  8. lemontree

lemontree New Member

I think it's a motherboard fault, the PSU i'm using is a corsair HX 620. CPU-Z actually does give me proper voltage readings, however speedfan and the bios do not. CPU-Z reports my vcore to be at 1.25V which SHOULD be normal since in the BIOS all my voltage settings are on default (auto). I think i'll get the mother board returned for a new one.
    Thanks for the help guys.
  9. ChaosMinionX

ChaosMinionX USB 3 dot oh

Did you try a new BIOS? Without a DMM (Digital MultiMeter) it is impossible to tell what the actual voltages are, Software at best is a guess, and sometimes sensors get stuck/broken. I would not completely trust software..

My advice would be to get a new BIOS for that board, flash it and see what the temp sensors say then.

TBH after 6months of running, that chip (assuming its 65nm/45nm) would be dead if it were actually 2.0v+ (hell over 1.6v on air will kill a chip)

What are your temps like? Download Core Temp and post a screen shot. If your voltages are ok, then it is most certainly a problem with the sensors/Motherboard, and like I said a new/older BIOS might fix the issue.
  10. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

they should have provided a digital multiMeter with the board.
    one funny board you have there.
  11. ChaosMinionX

Huh? What board comes with a quality DMM?
  12. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

lol, ChaosMinionX. that's right.
    should i still trust this particular motherboard?
    since there is no digital multimeter with an instruction on how to use the measurements tool to check all the voltages.
    and since they do not have a warning to disregard the board's BIOS H/W monitor, board's software utility, BIOS's warning, and also tell you which computer chip could have been failing, and all.
  13. lemontree

lemontree New Member

I've tried updating to the latest BIOS, it doesn't fix the problem.
    [​IMG]
  14. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

seems to me like a failing or a damage super I/O chip or whatever chip on that board that managed the H/W monitors.

motherboard still in warranty? i would not try to fix anything and just send it back.
  15. ChaosMinionX

Continue to ignore your Mobo's voltage warning.... your not at 2.0v... your temps would be double that running 3ghz :)

If its really a problem, contact the manufacturer and setup a replacement for the defective board with clearly defective sensors.
  16. PangingJr

PangingJr Member

like i said it's one funny board, with a vcore of 2.04V, with a BIOS warning and all, yet the system still stable.

it's obviously from the beginning of the OP's post that all the fault was at the motherboard,
    the production version of BIOS should never given you a so off balance in the voltages and temps reading like that.
    if the system processor installed was not supported by the board, i think it simply will not allow you to use the processor at all.

as if it's still in waranty, why should you keep using the board, it's your call and up to you to decide.