How do I play games on my second monitor?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by rockytrh, Jul 18, 2007.

1. rockytrh

rockytrh New Member

Hi all, I have a laptop that has a Radeon Mobility X700 graphics card. I recently bought a flat panel monitor because my laptop has a VGA out and a second monitor rocks. Anyway, my secondary monitor is bigger than my laptop monitor and I would like to play games on my secondary monitor. I know that I can go into the properties and swap which is my primary monitor, but that is sort of a pain to have to do because my laptop is widescreen and my secondary is standard.

I know that nVidia cards can do this.
    Anyway, is there someway I can launch games in my secondary? Thanks a bunch,

rockytrh

note I have the latest catalyst drivers on my lappy using ModTool.Net

2. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

for this to work, you need to set the secondary display as you primary monitor, though i have no idea how to do this because i only did it on accident on my laptop, you would have to go into the catalyst control center to do it as i believe that display properties has it locked.....

but feel free to experiment or wait for someone who can help you better than me

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

There should be a key combo that you can press that will cycle through your monitor setups. Those being laptop, laptop/monitor, or monitor only. I should be function key (F key), plus one of the F1 keys.

Like you mentioned, I know with Nvidia there is a section within the drivers that allows you to say "this app opens on this monitor", and so fourth, but I don't think ATIs does. I could be wrong, though, as I'm going by memory (I don't have a laptop that uses an ATI chipset).

4. rockytrh

rockytrh New Member

I had come to the conclusion that I had to manually switch it to primary, which isn't too bad. I found a function in catalyst that will let me swap, so It is relativly quick to do, just a pain. If only i could have gotten nVida in an ACeR lappy :(

Oh well. thanks all

5. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Grandkids! #10 in the Oven!

I find it very easy and quick to do the following just prior to starting my game:

Right click a blank space on the Desktop and select Properties;

Then, select the Settings Tab;

You will see this screen and need to have the Secondary Monitor active: (Notice the first monitor is presently the Primary)

[​IMG]

You will then want to highlight the Secondary Monitor and choose to use it as Primary:

[​IMG]

Like so....

[​IMG]

This is much faster than opening CCC to do anything. Takes about 10 seconds at most.

6. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

my second monitor has the use as primary box faded out, do they have to be the same resolution?

7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Grandkids! #10 in the Oven!

Not on any system I've used it on.

Is your second monitor actually active yet? What I've done is use the Extend Desktop.....option and then select the Use....primary option.

Anything else you can tell us about your setup?