How do you learn about hardware?

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Thy-Duang, Jun 27, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

All i said is for some people.. the best way to learn about something is to get both hands into it... there is only so much one can read from a book or watch... some people get nothing from that and NEED to be all hands on in order to really make the connection fully and to comprehend it.

It's much akin to dealing with architects and engineers.... on paper everything sounds fantastic... looks fantastic.. and should work... but in the actual heart of it, in the physical reality of it, quite often what sounded/looked good can be COMPLETELY the opposite.

So it's only a suggestion provide the resources are available to do it with that consideration that IF something were to go wrong, it wouldn't be a loss, the possibility is ALWAYS there, so if a machine/computer you don't care about dying is available to be played with and disassembled/reassembled as a learning tool... it's a great way to do it. Overclocking.. toying with bios settings.... generally buggering up these settings (overclocking aside) won't do harm and can be reset.... however they are time consuming and they do directly impact what can be done on the machine.

I just know that out of all the certified and "knowledgable" people building pc's in other businesses, it kinda drives me up the wall when i see a machine come in onto my work bench setup in IDE mode on the sata ports with a SSD... and running in legacy bios mode when the OS and system is fully capable of UEFI (specially today when i see a system setup so poorly... that it effectively boots 10x slower and performance is potentially cut in half due to their poor setup methods giving custom/commissioned builders a bad rep).

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Joke, yes, but it was how I started. There was no Internet back then... or rather it consisted of.. AOL, so pretty much all you could do was to read magazines, books (libraries were the go to for these, in fact the Library of Congress was on AOL back then), and take s**t apart... and hope you put it back together right.

These days, tech journals, Internet, review sites, and so on... that's the only way for me these days. I do way too much reading on this stuff.

3. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

I remember when I learned, in the 90s, I had to do it by taking our PC apart and putting it together again repeatedly, and exchanging parts with my friends and seeing what would fit where, along with reading magazines that I used to buy like PC Format.

But like Tipstaff says today there are multiple avenues to choose from.

4. arb65912

arb65912 New Member

I have read the whole thread, it was interesting read for many reasons. :)

I do have a related question.

I want to read somewhere online a basic tutorial on computers, software etc. in plain English, in layman's terms ... you know what I mean.

I will not be a computer or software guru, not enough time for that but I would love to just learn the basics.

I was lucky to put couple systems together without problems but I do not know things.

Anybody knows a good site to learn basics?

I have some limited basic computer knowledge but to me it is very basic and I would like to step it up. ;-)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017
  5. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

Hmmm, maybe what you need to do is find a good reddit group to join, as that's where all the different discussions happen these days. Best thing about that place is you can ask if you're in doubt too and people should help.

Sorry for the late reply.

6. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

imo nothing beats actually making friends in the real world who can show you the ropes.

actual physical, hands-on experience is the best way to learn for sure :)

Calliers likes this.