How to change color of address bar in chrome?

Discussion in 'General Software Discussion' started by SeanPatrick, May 5, 2013.

1. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

I've done some searches and can't come up with anything for this. I'm trying to change the background color of the address bar in chrome to be anything but bright white, having had it burn my plasma screen for about 2 weeks... I'm currently using Firefox in the mean time, but flash is being flaky with it. It would be nice to have the option to use the other browser as well! .. I'm running windows 8, btw, which probably makes this once simple task now impossible :)

2. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

As far as I know certain aspects are changeable via Chrome Themes, but others, like the address bar, it's colours are pulled from your Windows settings.

Unfortunately with Windows 8 Microsoft got rid of (as far as I can tell) the "Advanced Appearance Settings" option from the "Personalization | Color" section when using most themes, however there are 2 options: via a High Contrast theme, or via a registry hack (the easiest way imo). Easy way first:

1) Registry Hack: If this is a tablet, swipe in from the right, and do a search for regedit. If you have a keyboard just hit Windows key + R, type in and run regedit.

The section you want is under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors", and the option to change is "Window". These are all in RGB number values, so you need to find the value of the colour you want to use. So, 0 0 0 would be black (again, change your text colour first to something other than white until after you've changed the background to black) while 255 255 255 is white. I would suggest trying 128 128 128 or 192 192 192 which would give you either dark or light grey respectfully. Just remember that technically you are changing the value for window backgrounds, so that might include the Windows address bar too (it does this on Windows 7 for almost all address bars, but what it affects in Windows 8 varies.. it does it on some bars, but not on others like the main address bar for My Computer). After that just reboot the machine.

2) High Contrast Theme: Go to your desktop, swipe in from the right, choose Settings, then Personalization. From there choose a "High Contrast" theme, go into "Color", and you should be able to change the "Window Background" option. The address bar is considered a Window, so changing this colour will change that background, however the problem is that this will change ALL window backgrounds. Black text with white background should work, or just change the background to grey.

Last edited: May 5, 2013
    SeanPatrick likes this.
  3. SeanPatrick

SeanPatrick Member

That did it - just what I was looking for, thanks man! - you know your stuff

4. Tipstaff

NP man. ;)

I had someone ask me this very question a couple weeks back with a Windows 8 laptop they bought for presentation use (same one I have in fact). IE was fine as the address bar pulls the colour from the theme he was using, but Firefox wouldn't.

BTW, I forgot to post this. THIS calculator includes both RGB and CYMK sliders so that you can get values for a variety of colours (although you are still going to use the RGB values it spits out), or you can use THIS CSS colour list too (you use the decimal values).

Last edited: May 5, 2013
    Tyrsonswood likes this.
  5. Marco88

Marco88 New Member

AW: How to change color of address bar in chrome?

you can do via "Windows color and appearance" window by selecting "Window" option

6. Tipstaff

Re: AW: How to change color of address bar in chrome?

Sorry, but no. Not any more. This option is no longer available in Windows 8. The only way to do it in Windows 8, that I've found, is as per what I mentioned in post 2.

7. Marco88

Marco88 New Member

AW: Re: AW: How to change color of address bar in chrome?

yeah right :)

8. IAmTheOh

IAmTheOh New Member

haha! something you dont know: switching to high contrast lets you open the color menu with the window option right? leave that window open while open the personolize window again and switch back to not highcontrast and guess what, the option is still there and will effect the color theme that is current when you hit apply lolololol haha you didnt know that lol and you made that guy feel wrong lolol haha

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  9. IAmTheOh

IAmTheOh New Member

its not a "true" fix as the text is also black so you gotta go darkdark grey and also you getpersonlize windows with tranparent menubars and tracers and stuff which is pretty cool too but it does work to darken the adress bar in non-high contrasts without a registry tweek sucka!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017