1. The Dark Forum Skin... It's ALIVE!!!!!

How to extend desktop to TV?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by romgohan, Jun 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. romgohan

romgohan New Member

A real beginner question :)
    I have omega drivers 38252 on my Radeon 9550 card and I cannot figure out how to extend my desktop to the TV. I have LCD monitor connected to DVI output and TV to S-Video, when I switch the TV on it is in clone mode and I cannot see a way to change it.
    Thanks fo any help!
  2. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Count 'em, 9 Grandkids!

I'm using the latest Omegadrivers with ATT on my system. I have two CRT monitors and the TV OUT active. However, only two of these can be active at one time.

I just did extend my Desktop onto my TV OUT very easily. However, I have the TV OUT using the dongle connector that came with my card and using the S-Video out connection to the TV. The DVI connection is used for my second monitor.

With TV OUT active and in Clone Mode, I simply brought up the ATT Display and selected Extended Desktop. It worked immediately.

Good luck!
  3. romgohan

romgohan New Member

Thanks for fast reply. When I choose Extended Desktop in ATT Display with TV-out active and in Clone mode the TV gets disconnected :-(
    In Display Settings I have
    1. (Multiple Monitors) on RADEON 9550
    2. (Default Monitor) on RADEON 9550 Secondary
    Why "Multiple Monitors"? Do you have your TV as one of the displays?
    Maybe any other advice what can I do, or check?
  4. RatusNatus

RatusNatus New Member

This is exactly the same thing that happens to me.
    I cant get a fix to this. So, if you find out, let me know!
  5. Dyre Straits

OK, I need to ask you EXACTLY how do you have the video card connected to the TV. Are you using the S-VIDEO connection and the cable cluster that comes with the video card? OR, are you trying to use the DVI converter and some other cables to the TV?

On my setup -- and I've been doing this for several years and with several different computers and video cards -- I'm using the S-Video connector on the video card and then using the cable cluster to connect the S-Video cable from my computer to the TV's S-Video input connection. At the TV I have to change channels OR the input signal to recognize that the S-Video is being sent to it. It doesn't automatically recognize this.

Do make sure that you are connecting to the S-VIDEO OUT on the wire cluster at the back of the computer. There's also an S-Video IN on mine.

If there's no connection, the On/Off 'button' in the Display control will not be active....it'll be grayed out. If there is a connection, but the settings on the TV aren't right, the button will show active but the signal won't show up on the TV at all.

Since I've never had this problem like you all describe, I just have to think that there's something not connected right and/or the TV isn't being set up to accept the signal properly from the S-Video connection.
  6. romgohan

romgohan New Member

I have LCD monitor connected to DVI and TV to s-video out through SVHS cable (vga out is left free and there is nothing more). I can see display on TV in the clone mode, so the connection must be OK, the problem is with extending desktop to TV.
  7. Dyre Straits

OK, what exactly happens when you activate the Extend Desktop function?

Have you tried moving your mouse cursor from side to side to see if it shows up on the TV screen?
  8. romgohan

romgohan New Member

When I choose Extended Desktop in ATT Display with TV-out active and in Clone mode the TV gets disconnected.
    The problem may be in it that windows does not see TV as a separate display, it cannot be "identified" with the Identify in Display Settings (it shows "1")
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2006
  9. RatusNatus

RatusNatus New Member

The power botton of both displays are grey. After tick force tv detection, when a tick to estend desktop, it untick as soon as i press apply.
    And one more thing, unticking the extend desktop will disable the second display automatically. It became red.

Catalyst 6.5 works! DHZ 6.4 works!:confused: This is not a cable problem or TV config problem.
    Certainly is a bug with Omega's CC with ATI's WDM driver, .Net 2.0 or something else.

Can i install CCC and omega driver? How? Where can i take JUST the driver.

:eek: thanks for the support
    I saw on ATI's support that i have to install th WDM before the driver(i didnt do that)....i'll try this latter and post here the results.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  10. Dyre Straits

When installing the Omegadrivers, you can omit the ATT, Multi-Res, etc, by selecting the Custom installation. You should see -- I believe -- three options that can be checked/unchecked. Just don't check anything other than the drivers if that's all you want. Then you "should" be able to install the ATI CCC by using a custom installation for those, too. Just don't select the drivers and only select the CCC.

OR...I haven't tried this, if you already have the official CAT drivers installed, just uninstall ONLY the drivers then install ONLY the Omegadrivers without any control panel, etc.
  11. d00t

d00t New Member

VGA needed?

I have the same problem with my ATI Radeon 9250. Extended desktop works when you have a monitor in the VGA output and the TV through S-Video. It doesn't work when you have the monitor in the DVI output. Perhaps the software or card requires one device hooked up to the VGA output???

I've tried both Omega and packaged ATI drivers.
  12. RatusNatus

RatusNatus New Member

I have not installed ATT or Multi-Res on the first time. I use to use ATITool.

Well, i'm not using the Catalyst 6.5 right now.
    I'm using DHZ 6.4 that cames with CCC 6.4. This showld be the problem. Omega dosnt came with any CC. It was working before but...
    I think it will work.
    I'll unnistal all of it an install Catalyst WDM, CCC 6.5 and Omega driver 6.5 on this order.
    Am i right?

I'll try this tomorow cuz i want to play BF2 right now :)
    I'll post here the results.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.