How to open & close the disc tray from within Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by Trusteft, May 13, 2010.

1. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Anyone?
    Yes I can right click on the drive to open it, but doesn't work the other way.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

i know there is a shortcut command you can put in and do it....
    but i can't remember it.. i use my drive for only ever blu-ray.. aside from the occasional windows installation

3. Callandor

Callandor HH's Rogue Ninja Staff Member

CDR, in the older version of windows it was built in. You just went to the DOS command prompt and typed in CDR, I'm trying to look and see if you can install it on Vista/Windows 7 or for an alternative, let you know if I find one.

Edit : must have been installed prior on the computers I used it on, never used it on my home computers

4. Callandor

Callandor HH's Rogue Ninja Staff Member

5. mkk

mkk Well-Known Member

There's a command line program called NirCMD that can do a lot of things.
    NirCmd - Windows command line tool
    I use it to force the monitor to go into standby right away when I want it to.

Callandor likes this.
  6. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

CD Eject Tool

Used to use this to bypass the lockouts on clients terminals so that I could get access to their optical drives. By default any optical drive you have will show up as a tray icon, and you just click the little disc to open or close the tray. Right-click the icon, and you can setup the preferences for the program, including turning off support for drives (useful as the program doesn't distinguish between fake/mount type drives), turn off autorun, and even setup short-cut keys to open and close the drive. You can even turn off the icons completely, and just have a short-cut icon on your desktop for open and close.

BTW, it works for every Windows too. Including Win 7 64bit.

Callandor likes this.
  7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I just push the tray closed when i wanna close it :)

8. Takaharu

Takaharu Unus offa, unus iuguolo

I've gotta ask - what is your practical use for closing the disc drive via Windows instead of just pushing the drive (or eject button)? Surely if you're going to open or close the disc drive then you'll want to put in or take out a disc, so why not just push it to?

I would've suggested a small app too...

9. Trusteft

The distance of the drive and its button is just so that I can place and remove a disc without any stretching done, but if I want to open it I have to. Also, to close it it takes even more effort because of the big plastic door of the case and the lower than my waist placement of the case that makes it a chore to press the button while the tray is out.

10. Trusteft

Yeah, I didn't even click on that. I am too lazy this time of the year to press the button, do you think I am going to compile anything? :D

Too much effort and it doesn't say anything about Vista 64, only 32.

I am using it for the last couple of days, testing it. It's exactly what I was looking for, apart from that it isn't free. I will use it for the 30 days trial, then I will see. Great program though.

11. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

?? Really? SOAB. Sorry Blue. I could have sworn it was free.

Hmm.. well.. I have another one. It's called CD Kicker (actual guys website is HERE where you can get a more refined app, but you have to sign up for it). Same idea where you have a little icon in the taskbar, but all it does it open and close (all done via double clicking the icon, or you can right click it), plus there is an autoclose function that you can setup where the app will close the drive after so many seconds. I didn't stick with it at the time due to too many .Net errors that'd crash the program if you accessed the settings too much, although it does work.

Edit: Btw, there's no installer for this. It's direct run, so if you need it all the time just drop it into your Startup folder.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  12. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

Been following this thread. I also installed the 30-day trial for CD Eject Tool. Very handy as my case sits below me.

Will try the freeCD Kicker as well. Thanks Tipstaff!