HP Compaq NC6230 Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by M0nk3m4n, Nov 30, 2013.

1. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Okay so I just got one of these laptops from eBay (yes, I know) for 49 bucks.
    I got it today, checked it over. Has Windows 7 Ultimate, no drivers at all.

I installed all the drivers and it was running beautifully. Fullscreen HD youtube videos didn't even lag on this old boy. Unfortunately, right after installing Avast! and rebooting...it became completely unresponsive. I can select between a normal startup, safe mode, etc...so the keyboard is still FUNCTIONING...but when I get to the Windows logon screen, I cannot use the keyboard or touchpad... the network adapter is also not functioning, as I have an autoloading program which I can connect to from my desktop & control the laptop remotely. I was able to type my password and logon to Windows from that program on the last bootup before the issue started. I've tried rebooting, powering off, removing the charger and battery, etc...

Does anybody have an idea of what would cause this? Please and thanks.

2. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

EDIT: Didn't expect that...it booted to the Windows disc without need of changes in the BIOS...that doesn't make the issue any less maddening though. Anybody got an idea of the cause so I can be sure I know what NOT to do? For the record, I have installed this same copy of Avast on two other PCs just recently, with no issues. Don't think it was the culprit.

3. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

Can you boot into safe mode and remove Avast! ? This would be my first step, as you mentioned the problem started as soon as it was installed.

Do you suspect the whole computer is frozen, or just problems with the inputs? You could try plugging in a USB (or the older connection) keyboard/mouse... but if it's completely frozen I would try my first suggestion.

Often the optical drives are left as the first boot device in the BIOS simply because most discs won't be bootable so it will look to the harddrive anyway.

4. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Yep, tried all of those...absolutely no avail. Just started a clean install of Windows 7 from my dvd. I suppose I prefer this anyway, don't know if the guy knew what he was doing or not considering how it had no drivers when I got it. Bah.

5. isaak

isaak Well-Known Member

A clean reinstall is always a safe option, especially if there's not much data to backup. Be sure to install motherboard drivers (if you can get a hold of them) and the touchpad drivers (again, may or may not be available) first up.

I would also look at disabling unnecessary W7 features to ensure it doesn't slow the system up as much.

6. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Thank ya, yeah I managed to find all the necessary drivers, luckily. I was surprised when I got it to run Aero. Wasn't expecting that from a made-for-XP pc.

7. Gonzalesjon1990

Gonzalesjon1990 New Member

Can you please send me links for this computer, I'm currently running win 7 ultimate as well and did you update it before installing the drivers and also were they win vista? Your help would be appreciated I also recommend you replace the thermal paste once I replaced it runs really good.

8. M0nk3m4n

M0nk3m4n Active Member

Wait, are you offering to help me or do you need help with yours? Cause I already got mine all sorted out and I use it daily. :B