Humans and robots are on the cusp of a sexual intimacy we may never reverse

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by Calliers, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Calliers

Calliers HH's Admiral General Staff Member

If you could construct a sexual partner that was faithful, beautiful, and responsive to your every wish, would you?

It’s a question Aimee van Wynsberghe, co-founder of the Foundation for Responsible Robotics, thinks a lot about. In July 2017, she and fellow ethicist Noel Sharkey published a report (pdf), Our Sexual Future with Robots, that delved into the state of the robot sex industry and its future.

Quartz met van Wynsberghe, a professor of robotics and ethics at the Delft University of Technology in the Netherlands, on a trip to London in a busy café, just before she headed to the Science Museum’s Robots exhibition, to discuss how close humanity is to sex and even love with robots, and the risks involved. The interview is edited and condensed for clarity.

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

construction of someone or something that has no will of it's own to provide such a thing as "companionship".... no that's absurd... it's nothing but a facade, a synthetic thing that has it's decisions made for it...

So long as people acknowledge that fact, they can do what they want... but the mental cases out there that would treat it like a legitimate and real thing seems to be overly prevalent. It's a fantasy.

Now if an AI is created capable of making it's own choices/decisions and has sufficient intelligence to match or rival our own... that would provide an all round different story, as a "form" of life has essentially been created, potentially near immortal life at that.

The concept of being able to download the cognitive capacity of our minds into a complex enough computing system, essentially converting intelligence into an artificial brain... isn't as far fetched as it may seem, and if that is possible the sudden possibilities suddenly explode along with the philisophical debates that already surround it... could one then duplicate, change, adapt and fail/succeed in such a state, learn more or self distruct... whom or what could survive such a change, and if you happen to believe in the soul and the heart having any kind of significant impact on the mind and actions/personality, how horrible would it really be? Those that don't believe in such things, how amazing would it be?

3. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

If it would be possible to MOVE my "soul" into a "robot", I think would. The idea of copying it though, that just doesn't do it for me.
    As for the OP, if it had a true AI...it's in the realm of possibility, but a mindless sex doll as it would be...nah, I don't see the appeal of having a mindless slave.

4. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

One could copy their consciousness and then have their mechanical self kill their fleshy-mushy self... Or just have the fleshy one "euthanized" as part of the process.

5. Trusteft

yes, but that new self would be just that, a copy, not the original. You would be dead.

6. Calliers

If they were to move you to a computerized body it might be painful.

But I would endure that pain to live forever.

7. Trusteft

I am not certain what you mean by that.

8. Calliers

Imagine having your consciousness ripped away from you, I imagine that would hurt. At least that's what I think, I have no scientific proof to back it up.

9. Trusteft

I can't see how it could possibly hurt, though using the words "ripped away" sounds painful.

10. Judas

That's the thing... that's the debate.... How would know if one was moved or copies... would the move process simply kill or leave the original an empty shell... who's to say the move process is nothing but a process of copying and then abruptly removing the original. In addition, it generally would be wiser to do the copy process, confirm copy was successful and then delete the previous. It's nothing but data anyways in the simplest way of saying, so it would be pretty terrible to have performed a "move" only to have it get interrupted or screwed up and we know that can happen at the most inopportune time.

Either way, the philosophical debates will rage on for likely eons even after such a system in put into place/made possible.

Personally though, if a "copy" is the more realistic outcome.... killing my former self, a self that still lived and breathed and was technically me still, would be ridiculous. Most likely though i think a process like this would only make the most sense in terms of being on one's death bed... simply tie in the "move" of information into an android body to trigger the disconnection of life support... while this could be seen as "killing" oneself... which wouldn't fly still, it only makes the most logical sense if you're already in a state of basically being dead physically, but mentally (hopefully) strong.

11. Trusteft

If the transfer leaves the original host unaffected, then obviously it is a copy and not a move.
    If an actual move is not possible, only copy, then what is the point of making it other than out of scientific curiosity? If as you said, you are on your deathbed and do this copy, this new version is just not you. You will still die. This new version will be another individual, android or not. So why do it? I can see it for cases like when there is vital information to be had that a death of such a person would be detrimental to security or science, but in all other cases, it is pointless. Or to be more exact, it would be simply egotistical serving the ego (heh) of the original host and nothing more.

That's why I said, a true move would be great. I would do it today if I could. But, a copy is just pointless.

12. Judas

I think the misunderstanding is that you think the body would be duplicated... ?

If you're on the deathbed.... and you get transfered into a healthy android body or lets say younger version of oneself body, then the death of your original previous body is irrelevant.

13. Calliers

I think he is of the mind that you mean a copy. A copy would be just that, a copy, your original self would still die.

14. Trusteft

you think wrong.
    I am not talking about the body.
    As Calliers said, a copy is that, a copy. If you are you and there is a copy of you, the copy is not you, it's another person.
    if you get a piece of printed paper in an envelope (the piece of paper being your essence, your soul if you prefer) and you scan the paper and print a copy of the scanned paper and you place that printed piece of paper in another envelop, that piece of paper, regardless of the envelope, is not the original.

15. Judas

So how would you propose a solution..... move the consciousness to a temporary location.... rebuild the existing body and transfer it back? the move would still be basically copying because the original container would need to be destroyed/made unusable or left either vacant or with the original in tact.

I'm just going by how essentially memory/data is handled in general, the same kind of things essentially apply to bioforms as well....

The only real potential solution for "moving" would be to extract the brain itself from the body, containing everything as is, and placing it inside a new body/android capable of sustaining the life of the cells that hold the information. But this presents a fundamental flaw, in cases where the brain is already degrading or has already degraded. It'd be akin to moving a dead/dying hardrive from a computer to another computer...

16. Calliers

You know Judas I wouldn't be so sure. Souls might not be the same as data, it hasn't been proven "yet" if the brain is the seat of consciousness or not. There just might be some other aspect to the whole spirit, mind and soul thing.

17. Trusteft

I am not sure how it could be done. I haven't worked on it. The little I know from having worked (briefly) on A.I. years ago is that you can't expect to treat it like you would regular data (ie a movie) and you would not be able to just use a container in the traditional sense (SSD etc). You would first need to create an appropriate device to hold the contents of the brain (or whatever) and then proceed with the transfer. That would mean in some level duplicating the mechanism of the brain. Not just the capacity to hold data. Data alone is not enough. Else you would just end up with a bunch of data, no move or copy of consciousness, as you called it.

Having done that (container), you would need to see if it is even possible to move (not just copy) it. If it can be physically removed from the human body, extracted if you prefer. If that is possible too, we are almost there!
    If not, then it simply is not possible to transfer yourself to another body/device. At best you will be able to create a duplicate, but that won't be you, it will be just someone/thing with your thoughts and knowledge, but not you.

18. Judas

Like i said, it becomes a philosophical issue at that point, the memories/data of an individual carry with it quite possibly the resulting personality that makes something who they are.

I rather liked the Chappie as this explores this potentially even if it's only in the slightest at the end.

19. Judas

The only inkling of that being potentially true is tissue memory AKA Body Memory.... information/data so to speak that resides within the organs and tissues of the entire body. There are some scientific studies trying to build a theory on this to explain the totally unexpected results of some individuals that never met/knew their donar's names/habits/etc... that seem to without warning after receiving it, exhibit the same habits and even temperament. Suffice it to say, "part" of one's memories and perhaps personality.. or as some people like to call it "soul" seems to have been overlapped or merged with anothers causing this kind of situation. There is some evidence to suggest it's quite possible, last i read up on it, they suspected that it could be in the RNA or DNA (i think it was the former that is heavily being investigated based on it's resilience and how it may hold just enough information to another form... in either case, there could be some truth to the idea, but it's unclear.

There have been sufficient examples of the entire replacement/removal of plenty of organs with either no replacement or mechanical replacement that has no decernable effect on the personality of individuals, so once someone is born and grows up, all that information is mostly set within the person with likely no further developement beyond a point. Moving parts from that person to another MAY have a VERY low chance of carrying on traits to that accepting person. So it's possible that moving the entire cognitive map and information of one's mind to a machine or another person without literally moving the brain itself, could lead to a few potential outcomes.

20. Trusteft

I don't give a shit about any philosophical elements in this topic. Science/facts only. For me it is quite clear.
    If the technology to copy (and not move) your mind/self to a machine or another body existed and someone offered you to do it to you. Seeing that after a successful copy the other "you" was alive and kicking. Would you now accept your original self to get killed? After all, you are still alive in the other body, right?

I know I wouldn't.