I've got a couple of questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Crystallization, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Crystallization

Crystallization New Member

Stupid me accidentally broke the input for the rear speakers slot and I want to know if I can somehow reroute the audio to one of the surround speakers slots since I don't currently use those. Btw, my sound card is the Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Audio Card. Also, I have a minor complaint. :) I want the onscreen display to function but I don't like the green bars that appear whenever I adjust the volume. This also seems to slow down or cause a delay when playing fullscreen games too. Is there a way to display the volume as a percentage value? If not, then I would like to request this for one of the driver updates. :) One last thing. As an aspiring audiophile, can anyone give me some suggestions as to what I can adjust to get the cleanest and most accurate sound quality possible with a slight emphasis on bass? Yeah, I know, adding bass is not very audiophile. :p

2. John141

John141 New Member

Perhaps the reason you haven't received a reply is because you haven't indicated that you want to do this in a kX context.

If this is a KX context, then I assume by 'main speaker input' you mean the 'front speaker out' (green). If so, then rerouting the main output is easy in kX DSP. Simply connect your audio signal to a different audio out such as rear speaker (black) by clicking on the Epilog and selecting 'rear speaker output' from the drop-down.

If on the other hand you have been using the default kX configuration, front and rear speakers are reversed so you may have broken the black connector and need to connect to the green one. You need to figure this out. The green connector is accessed in the epilog as 'front out'.

Audio can also be routed to the third speaker output in DSP by selecting from the drop-down in kX DSP.

Regarding your other questions:
    I'm not 100% clear here. Do you mean the green bars that appear in the peak meter display? They can be turned off by closing the peak meter window. If not, please clarify.
    You must add some form of equalization to the DSP. To do this, insert any of the EQ plug-ins to your audio chain using the kX DSP. Then, starting from a flat setting (neutral) tweak your lower frequencies to raise the bass content. Depending on which plug-in you are using, it may have a preset that is already set up for some bass boost.

You don't say whether you want to add bass to the whole mix, or just one part. kX DSP is so powerful you can create almost unlimited routings in the DSP and apply effects in any order or differentially to either physical or host (software source) inputs. I would recommend using the ProFX set of DSP tools.

3. Crystallization

Hi John141. Thanks for the reply. I will try to explain in more detail.

I think that the connector that I broke was the Headphone connector; so it may not be too big of a problem, but I still do have a different problem. Using the default kx configuration, when I plug my headphones into the rear channel output, the audio is distorted at high volumes. When I plug the headphones into the front channel output, the audio is not distorted at that same high volume but it's also not a clean sounding as the rear channel output is at lower volumes.

Hmm, I hope that wasn't more confusing. :)

Sorry, I don't see anything that will allow me to swap outputs. Maybe I'm missing something. When I go to the epilog, I see something called "Analog Front Left [4000] Out0" and "Analog Front Right [4001] Out1" but I don't see where to change them.

I mean this thing:
    [​IMG]

Every time I adjust the volume, it pops up onscreen and disrupts fullscreen games and applications. I still need some sort of display to show me what the volume is though, and that's why I would like a percentage value to display like "75% vol" or something like that.

K, thanks for the info. I will play around with different settings and hear what sounds best. If anyone's got some more recommendation on how I can improve the sound quality over the default settings, not like the default sounds bad anyway, please do share. :) Thanks.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

That green bar image, I just recently added a Logitech G15 to my system and that green bar showed up at the same time....... I don't think it's KX related as I never saw it before this new keyboard.......

5. John141

John141 New Member

Crystallization wrote:
    This is strange, so you have noise on your front speaker output but not on your rear speaker output. I think the answer is to use the rear speaker output, which is higher quality in any case (this is the reason why Eugene decided to default kX output to rear speaker, despite all the confusion that followed), and to apply extra gain after the audio signal has exited the sound card. Relative levels of gain should not be a problem, unless you are using powered monitors that have no gain control built in.

On thing that can cause distortion on a kX card is overdriving the output levels on the 'INs and Outs' sliders in the kX Mixer. Unless you have a very quiet source, do not push those levels over 0db. If I do this on an MP3 file I hear distortion.

In the kX mixer, in the master window (the top one), the middle left most radio button has two speakers and two arrows, this allows you to toggle output between the front a rear speaker outputs. It defaults to rear.

Its strange that you're not happy with the sound quality. It should be crystal-clear and beautiful on a card like the Audigy 2 ZS. I have the same card as my kX card and when playing CDs, I can't hear any difference between the card and my 1616m, which is professional audio quality hardware. Of course there is a small difference, but this is mainly leveraged in large multitrack projects when there is a lot of audio summing.

Here's tip to excite your sound a bit: Create a simple DSP using ProFX and insert the dynamics processor plugin to your signal path. Choose the preset 'Uber punch' from the presets. Then throw in an EQ plugin and push the upper frequencies, this adds punch and sparkle to the sound.

6. Crystallization

Ah, okay then. Well, when I put the check sign next to "On Screen Display enabled", nothing happens unless I also put the check sign next to "Multimedia Keyboard enabled", which gives me that nasty green bar that disrupts everything when in use.

Actually it's the other way around. The front speakers output is fine but the rear speakers output is distorted. Everything is at the default setting and so there's no "overdriving" from what I can tell and no meters are beyond 0.0db. Now I'm not 100% sure but I'm thinking that this is a 7.1 channel soundcard and that there should be an addition rear speakers output, is this correct? If so, I am hoping to somehow reroute the mixer to output the audio through this other rear speakers output so that I can enjoy the higher sound quality without the distortion I'm getting from the first rear speakers output (middle slot on the soundcard). I tried following the instructions in a previous post but I still haven't figured it out yet.

I'm actually quite pleased with the sound quality but if there's a chance of making a slight noticeable improvement, then I'm interested in knowing how to do so. :)

Thanks, everyone, for the replies!

7. osm0sis

osm0sis New Member

In case you didn't already know about it you can also mess with basic Treble/bass adjustments under the Effects submenu in Timbre. :)