Laptop Speakers

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by RealityRipple, Feb 26, 2015.

1. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

<preface>My current laptop has developed a crack across its case right over the hinge, making it a b!tch to deal with, so I'm getting a new one and re-purposing this one (after pulling out the hard drive and RAM for reuse, since I got a 1 TB hybrid drive and 8 GB RAM after getting the laptop) but I'm really sick of having to put up with generic laptop speakers all the time, so I want to find a laptop that has speakers worth a damn built in. External/Bluetooth is not an option here.</preface>

Does anyone know if any laptops exist with "real" speakers - or at least closer to a decent range than your typical laptop audio system - and possibly some amount of sub (although apparently laptops with subwoofers went out of style circa 2009) hopefully within a reasonable price range?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

Laptop + "Real" Speakers = no such thing.

Even the laptop that has the "BOSE" speaker package still sounded like crap. Granted different laptops with different sound packages provided by DTS and Dolby labs with enhancements and "subwoofer" sometimes prove to be either better or arguably worse than others. What's laughable is the fact that i've ran into several laptops with "5.1 audio" surround, and it indeed has 5 speakers and the little subwoofer and you know happened, it sounded like garbage, and more often than not, failed to reproduce properly, the users ended up running it in stereo only mode just to be able to hear dialogue in a movie and it was still rather poor.

Even modern tvs are starting to draw back their speakers, specially considering these tvs are getting so thin, there really isn't anywhere they can stuff it, which coincides with laptops getting ridiculously thin (too thin). More and more people are using headphones of their choosing and external speakers when they can. Though i will say i haven't heard a single soundbar, even bose again, that actually would ever have a hope of replacing a discrete set of decent speakers + sub.

Best thing you can do is visit a store with a pile of laptops, and just start going through and testing your choice of music. Most if not nearly all of them have their frequencies hardset to cut off the LFE and some even the upper or specific frequency zones that cause their laptops to resonate horribly.

3. RealityRipple

RealityRipple Embrace Entropy

Went with a MSI GP70 2PE, and the speakers aren't too shabby. Nothing like real speakers of course, but pretty good nonetheless.