MobilityModder.net not fully modding FireGL V5250 to X1700 in XP

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by Demonfire, Jun 28, 2007.

1. Demonfire

Demonfire New Member

So I just bought a Lenovo T60p for college work and gaming in hopes that the firegl mobility v5250 could be softmodded to a mobility x1700, its equivilent Radeon card.

Using mobilitymodder.net to mod the 7.4 cats, I was hoping it would convert it to an x1700 or at least make it just as fast.

However, for some reason it seems that the catalyst drivers are running on it but for all intents and purposes windows and CCC still recognizes it as a FireGL v5250 and treats it as such with the GL settings instead.

This confuses me as I dont see how it could both run the cats and be using professional settings at the same time.

I know there is some way to manually edit some files to force the drivers to see it as a X1700 instead, but im not sure what files those are and just what to edit.

Any help would be much obliged in getting this problem solved :cool:

ps: as a last resort, is there a possibility of just flashing the bios to the mobility x1700 bios and overriding all fireGL settings?

2. Spike

Spike Driver Cleaner Maker

I am not sure about lashing the bios, but if flashing that also changes the Device ID to the ID of the x1700 then the drivers would reconize it. But here is how to edit the modified inf file:

Open the modified inf file and look for:
    "ATI MOBILITY FireGL V5250" = ati2mtag_M56GL, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71D4

Replace that line with:
    "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1700 " = ati2mtag_M56, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_71D4

Make sure there are 3 spaces between the X1700 and the "

Now when you would install the driver is will use the X1700 device settings. Make sure to uninstall the previous driver first before installing the new one.

3. dc443

dc443 New Member

I have the exact same "problem". I have done the mobility mod, and i have also changed the line in the INF file so that its M56 instead of M56GL. Every time the video card is still using the FireGL settings even though it is recognized as whatever I put into the quotes when I edited the file.

It is confusing because these are RADEON drivers and there shouldnt be any reason why they would have firegl support...

One interesting thing I noticed was that when I was running the 7.5 Cats modded with the tool, OpenGL applications had NO hardware acceleration (stuff runs at 0.5 to 1 fps). I have since reinstalled the Lenovo drivers and thankfully openGL applications work on that.

I am pretty certain that flashing the BIOS woudl work but I want to know 1) if it is possible to fix it if something goes wrong during the flash, because I do not want to send this thing back to Lenovo, and 2) where on the damn internet I can find the x1700 BIOS...?

Spike, are there any other things we could try other than changing that line in the INF file? Should I try older drivers? Would they be more likely to fail to recognize this card? Maybe go back to a driver before the x1700/v5250 was released and make it think it's running a X1600?

4. dc443

dc443 New Member

Update:

I tried the mobility modder with the 7.6 cats and replacing that line just as was suggested, and it resulted in the same thing as when I tried it with the 7.5 catalysts, that is, it was recognized by the installer and windows as the "ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1700 " (yes with three spaces), but upon reboot it 1) did not get any faster, 2) lost all OpenGL game support as well as the ability to force Antialiasing through CCC, and 3) CCC still had the Workstation tab. (I had the exact same symptoms with my previous attempt using cat 7.5)

5. Demonfire

Demonfire New Member

yeah, same thing as what they all said, it still only recognizes it as a firegl 5250, and when you force it by modifiying the line to say M56 instead of M56gl it loses all GL support. Either way, it doesnt run any faster in DirectX games than with the fireGL drivers.

I honestly think the best way is to flash the bios, which would probably require an external floppy drive and definatly the X1700 bios.

If you have any other ideas, awesome, but i think we need to flash the bios.

6. Spike

I think that there are also FireGL settings in the bios. I don't know if there are mods on the internet to make the 5250 a x1700, but else you could try and see if that works before flashing the bios.

7. Demonfire

Demonfire New Member

as a testament to how hard anything to find about this problem on the net is, the first thing that comes up when you search for "firegl 5250 to X1700" in google is this thread right here :sigh:

Some people are saying that there are actual PCB differences between the Firegl and the Radeon, but I really hope its just bios based...

In which case I would like to formally ask ANYBODY who has a Mobility Radeon X1700 to PLEASE post up a copy of their bios for experimentation.

My only worry is that there isnt any good way to return the card to its original bios if it ends up messing things up because were dealing with a laptop here, not a desktop where we could swap out the card.

Tread carefully, i guess...

8. dc443

dc443 New Member

Yeah, this whole thing is a royal pain because all you can ever find are Radeon 9x00 to FireGL mods on the internet.

At least my laptop is capable of running every game I've thrown at it and does not get hot enough to lock up. It's nice for lanning, I just wish it wouldn't be obsolete for that task in 1-2 years.

9. Pascal_TTH

Pascal_TTH New Member

I have a similar problem with modded ATI last FireGL with MobilityModder. When I run Cinebench 9.5, there were no hardware acceleration.

After checking registry, it was missing this entry :

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers]
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers\atifglws]
    "Version"=dword:00000002
    "DriverVersion"=dword:00000001
    "Flags"=dword:00000001
    "Dll"="Atioglgl.dll"

I found this was missing by installing Lenovo driver and search for atiogl in registry. With Lenovo driver, there were two entries with atioglgl.dll. But with FireGL driver from ATI modded with mobilityModder, the first key was wrong and tell about atioglxx.dll (or atioglx1.dll) like with regular Catalyst instead of atioglgl.dll and the second key simply missing.

I think it's a small issue with the modder.

I found this topic/forum when searching how to have the OpenGL (to set AA and AF) tab even with FireGL drivers.

10. Spike

have you also tried changing atioglgl.dll to atioglxx.dll, because atioglgl.dll is not anymore in the drivers so when you link to that from the registry it will also not work. And i thought that atioglgl.dll is replaced with atioglxx.dll.

I added those registry settings to my new version so it will be in the update. It is added for the FireGL cards. The problem was that those lines are not in the inf files so by adding that it should be fixed. If you want you can test my new version so i am sure then that it works. If you want then send me an email at info@drivercleaner.net. I would really appreciate it if someone can test it.

11. dc443

dc443 New Member

Hey, here's a list of bios dumps that includes one of the mobility X1700 from an Asus laptop.
    http://bios.egore911.de/
    Maybe somebody could try it. :bleh:

12. Demonfire

Demonfire New Member

Thanks so much for finding this!

Now we just need a brave soul to perform a flash on their new expensive laptop.

I might, given a few week or two of careful research into recovery methods...

13. kavboy

kavboy New Member

Hi!
    If you tell me how to do it I'll try it out!

14. Demonfire

Demonfire New Member

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  15. kpoman

kpoman New Member

Hi ! I am also interested in having this card setup as a X1700. I tested modding the CCC and it worked for the Catalyst itself but couldnt find the driver even specifying the correct folder How do you deinstall the originally delivered driver and put a new one ? Which new one to put ? Is there a way to download only the display driver and not all the ccc stuff ? Is 1393 the score you are getting on 3DMARK 2005 ? I think it is too much slow and am very frustrated right now with this notebook T60P, for example without svideo out! Please if someone has the response for these questions I would be grateful to get them !
    Thank you

16. kavboy

kavboy New Member

Well, it is not as easy as I thought. I tried to run Atiwinflash but it says: "Unsupported ROM type". Then I tried to run Atiflah from the bootdisk but it said that No Flash ROM and that something is missing from this ROM.gz file I downloaded. I tried to find a sulotion for that but I didn't find any useful information except that many people have the same problem with their x1600 card. So, please help...

17. kavboy

kavboy New Member

What can I do with this rom.gz file?? How can I unzip it??? The bios flash utility recognizes .rom files only. Anybody any idea??

18. Demonfire

Demonfire New Member

you need winrar to open the file: www.rarlab.com

19. kavboy

kavboy New Member

I tried it already but it says: ! The archive is either in unknown format or damaged. I tried to download it several times but I still get the same answer

20. kavboy

kavboy New Member

Well, I tried everything. Without success. I have the .rom file (2 versions actually), tried to flash the BIOS but it stops with an error message. Actually I tried it with Atiflash, Winflash and a Lenovo tool. The Lenovo tool stops with this: "Part Table Signature not found in the Interface". The other 2 tools stop with other error messages.
    I didn't give it up completely yet but I'm sick and tired with this f*cking laptop. It was soooo expensive and it is not worth it at all...