Mouse problems.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Liqourice, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice Well-Known Member

My old MX-518 have started acting up a bit. Quite often it double clicks even if I just click once and it's quite annoying at times. I guess it's just started to show it's age, it's worn out. Might try to open and clean it up and see if that helps but I guess it's the micro switch that's just close to getting finished.

I've loved this mouse, I've been so happy with it I've never considered getting a new one. Lots of mice I've tried in stores doesn't feel as comfortable for my big hands and my thumb keeps pressing the side buttons, something that just haven't happened many times at all with this one.

So, I want suggestions for a replacement that's fairly similar in design and quality without being to darn expensive.

2. Calliers

Calliers HH's Man In Black Staff Member

Well, whatever you do don't buy a SteelSeries Rival 100. I didn't know before I purchased mine that this mouse tends to suffer from scroll wheel problems in which when you move the mouse the scroll wheel moves by itself and my current one has started to do that on occasion.

Also don't get a Razer mouse, they last about a year then you need a new one. Their build quality is not good.

Since you like Logitech how about the Logitech G403? It's layout is similar to the MX518 and it is affordable.

[​IMG]

Tipstaff likes this.
  3. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy c c c COFFEE

I know nothing about mice’s from anywhere in the last 5 - 8 years or so
    much like yourself, I have huge hands, and long time ago found something I liked & stuck with it.
    don’t even know if they still make them, but if they do, get yourself a RAT 7 ;)

4. Calliers

Whoa, the RAT 7 is going for $216 US on Amazon. :eek:

5. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

I always liked large mice but never found one to work with me as I wanted it. They never felt good enough. So after trying smaller mice, which I do NOT prefer, in the past and liking my very old now Logitech G9 (the original), for the last couple of years I have found what I consider the perfect mouse for my large hands, which is a small mouse. The Coolermaster Xornet II . Obviously not with a palm grip. I like it so much I have 3 of them.

Calliers likes this.
  6. Calliers

Sometimes the solution to having large hands is to go with a small mouse. It all depends on the kind of grip you use when you play games and use the mouse.

Trusteft likes this.
  7. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

8. Calliers

I remember you recommending that either to me or someone else a while back when I was in need of a new mouse and I did consider it. How long has yours lasted for @Dyre Straits?

As for mice gaming features I really don't use them, in fact, I might start using them and mapping buttons on my mouse and the new gaming keyboard I get in future once I get my PC together, my little brother is busy as of now and can't get away from work yet to pick this PC up until probably the end of January or February so I will be buying parts slowly for my new PC. I know the PC I have now is more powerful than one that would have a single Radeon RX580 and AMD Ryzen 5 1500X in it but seeing as I'm not really playing many graphically intensive games now and my little bro will be, I think he will make better use of this machine. And I mean, if ever I want to play really crazy games I can always get another RX 580 or two and toss that in there (I'm going for the ASUS ROG STRIX B350-F GAMING mobo which supports three way cross fire).

Ok now I am getting a bit off topic, back to your regular viewing.

9. Liqourice

If I could I'd get a new MX518 but only place I can find it is on Amazon and for $150. That's just to much.

I might just try and replace the microswitch if I can find a good replacement.

10. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

Well, I know I bought this mouse a few years ago when we lived at the other place. And, I've been where I live now for over three years. I'm sure I had it for at least a couple of years over there.

EDIT: Found at least one thread where I recommended this one...

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/commu...t-for-a-new-gaming-mouse.231605/#post-1528813

11. Calliers

Wowzer! That mouse is truly a trooper, only mouse I've ever had remain active for anywhere near that long is my old IBM PC100 mouse which came with the PC. Thing was built like a tank, wouldn't be surprised if it still works wherever it is right now if it hasn't already been recycled or whatever.

And of course it sported the original beige PC color lol.

12. QB71

QB71 Member

Okay, so this is strange... How sure are we that it is actually the mouse? I too have recently had this issue, but with a different mouse (Roccat Kone XTD). It started out of the blue and happens very randomly, but when it happens it seems like every click is a double click... then it goes away for a while. I thought maybe my angry pounding of the mouse on the desk puts it into hiding, but maybe not. I have often wondered if it is a glitch in Windows. Or is double clicks a normal sign of an aging mouse?

QB

13. Liqourice

I don't know. I normally kinda holds the mouse only with my fingers, not in the hand, so my clicking fingers tend to be more on the back end of the buttons. If I move my hand forward more, so my fingers are at the front end of the mouse it doesn't seem to happen, at least not as often. This isn't as comfortable though. But, as you say, it just suddenly started about a week ago or so.

Perhaps it's something else, I haven't really thought about it that way.

14. Calliers

15. Liqourice

Well, it's happening wherever I hold my fingers, it just doesn't happen as often if i hold more to the front of the button. I'm pretty sure it's the microswitch. Switched over to Windows 10 and it does the same there.

16. Liqourice

Got myself a cheapish mouse for now. I'm more or less broke and can't afford a better one but since my old mouse has become so bad that it's pretty much useless I had no choise to get something that at least works until I can afford something better.

17. Calliers

Did you see the Corsair Harpoon thread? It is inexpensive and performs great. I have one so I can vouch for it.

Also, what mouse did you get, like a throwaway one?

18. Liqourice

Even that one is to expensive at the moment. I really couldn't afford this one either but it only cost a third of what the Harpoon cost.

Checked around and found this one for 99 SEK while the Harpoon costs 290 SEK.

https://www.deltaco.se/produkter/deltaco/datortillbehör/möss/trådbundna/stora/MS-600

It's actually quite decent for the price, better than I expected.

19. Liqourice

20. Calliers

Looks decent. Yeah I know how living in a country where hardware can be priced crazy or outright not even sold in stores just because you're not in one of the markets in which people buy them en-mass. Growing up I lived in Botswana and it was SOOOO expensive to build a PC there, currently you can't even find the latest parts there even if you're in the capital city unless you order from South Africa, the stores list parts that have just come out and that are expensive as special orders and they sell them at a huge premium.