Mouse wheel problem

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Liqourice, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Liqourice

Liqourice New Member

The wheel on my old MX-518 is acting up sometimes. Suddenly the wheel stops working, at least scrolling down. Scrolling up works at least to a part.

However, if I keep scrolling up for a while it suddenly starts working again for a few days until it happens again.

Now, I don't think there is some kind of max mileage on the wheel... but it certainly seems like it. I guess it's just coming to an end, i just find it a bit strange.

2. Callandor

Callandor HH's Rogue Ninja Staff Member

Not worth fixing. Get a new mouse is my advice to you.

The Logitech G500s looks nice.

3. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 9 Grandkids! #10 in the Oven!

I would almost certainly agree with you. However, before actually putting money into another mouse, I'd opt to take the cover off and see if any residue has built up on it. It does sound to me like there's some interference due to dust or other compound that's preventing a good contact. Since it's the down scroll that's affected, that's usually the most common direction we do scroll.

So, unplug it; take the cover off and see if it just needs to good cleaning inside.

Then, if that doesn't do it, start making a choice on a replacement.

Good luck whichever direction you go!

4. Liqourice

Liqourice New Member

Or I get a new MX-518 unless I can find a bigger one that actually fits my huge hand. :p

Well, I'm gonna open it up and clean it to see if that helps. I've had this mouse for 7-8 years now and I've been very content with it.

5. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

It's a beautiful shape. The G400 and G500 are very similar to MX-518 in that respect. What people complain about is that the wheel on the G500 is too easy to turn (even in "standard", non-smooth mode), so that it makes accurate weapon selection difficult. It sounds like an odd flaw and HH on the other hand praised the wheel, so maybe they fixed the issue in the more recent batches.

6. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy b b b b b BEER

tried a RAT ?
    I too suffer from gigantihanditis, the RAT 5 or 7 is a pretty good fit for us ham-fisted freaks :)

7. Liqourice

Liqourice New Member

I'll have a look, but size isn't everything of course. :)

8. niceguyrichy

niceguyrichy b b b b b BEER

I'm super picky about my mices, went thorough about a half dozen before i grabbed a RAT, they're quality mate ;)

9. Callandor

If you're going to get a new mouse, I swear by Razer now. Although my Razer Imperator 2012 Edition died an early death due to a faulty left button every other Razer mouse I've had (Razer Transformers Death Adder and the one I have now, the Razer Death Adder 2013 Edition) have been excellent mice.

10. Liqourice

Liqourice New Member

Well, it all comes down to how well it fits in my hand. I will try to avoid thumb-buttons as well, the ones on my 518 isn't ideal since I accidently hit one of them now and then.

11. Callandor

Did you try opening the MX518 though? If so, what did you find? Could you fix the problem?

12. Liqourice

Liqourice New Member

Not yet, I haven't been at home much these last two days. I discovered there's a whole world out there! ;)