need a wireless router with 3+ wired ports, or a way to splice a connection

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Dark Lord, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Dark Lord

Dark Lord Well-Known Member

my sister just bought a laptop and seems to think she has to have wireless in the house. ive got 3 systems here that are wired, and i refuse to go wireless in any of them.

so, what are my options? i need either a wired/wireless combo router or some way to splice a single connection into two routers.

or.... is it possible to use the 4th open spot on my current router, plug it into a regular wireless router and supply its connection that way?

2. Liqourice

Liqourice New Member

You can either get a new combo router or get an accespoint and plug it in. Though, an accespoint costs just as much as a router so it seems like a waste if it's just gonna be one single wireless connection. There aren't many wireless only routers out there anyway.

You can get a second router but it's really not good networking to hook a router to a router just like that.

What I'd do is to get a combo router, hook everything up and put that old router of yours away and keep it as a spare if the combo one breaks down. That way you'll still have one wired connection free if you ever need it. Then if in the future you should need more wired connections you can get a switch instead of hooking up a second router.

3. Zelig

Zelig New Member

Most cheapo wireless routers have four wired ports.

I like the WRT54GL with the DD-WRT firmware installed, depending on your location, you may be able to get some cheaper routers that can also run DD-WRT.

4. Dark Lord

5. kris23

kris23 Going Insane.....

you can simply plug in a wireless router into that 4th port and it would work, i tried it, works...

but the majority of wireless routers also have 4 wired ethernet ports, i know the Dlink DIR-655 has 4 in back...

it should be as simple as swapping routers out

6. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i would go with the band-wagon here.....get a router with 4 ports + b/g wireless

7. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

dlink DIR-615 are DAMN nice routers for the price... course the best wireless router i've used to date is the DIR-655 ... simply amazing.... range alone is incredible.

8. Dark Lord

well, that asus one i bought was a useless piece of shit. i coldnt even get a regular wired connection 99% of the time. so, in less then 2hrs of use with it, its already boxed up and waiting for my rma/refund from newegg.

i think ill try that dlink 615 this time. ive had good luck witht he dlink ive got right now, probably about 5 years old now and problem free.

9. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

i've used dlink products before as well as linksys, both of which have been problem free aside from the few PEBKAC issues here and there :rolleyes: