Need to "Un-Marry" win10 Key from UEFI BIOS

Discussion in 'Windows & Other OS Discussion & Support' started by CDsDontBurn, Aug 17, 2016.

1. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I have a laptop with win10 on it where the version of win10 that's on it doesn't match up with the product key. I'm assuming that the product key I have is for win10 pro but win10 home is what's installed. This is the first time I've attempted to install win10 from scratch (Though I've done PXE boot at my work, win10 install done in that manner is done through our SCCM server, but that's an entirely different install process).

What I want to accomplish is to do a fresh install of win10 using the product key I have and have my win10 install disk automatically pick up the version of win10 that the product key I have is associated to. However, after attempting to install win10 from scratch twice, I've never been asked to apply the product key and when going to the activate windows part, I see that the product key is already entered for me!

In doing some searching, I've come to find out that the product key becomes embedded into the BIOS should the system have a UEFI type BIOS, which this laptop does. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to "un-marry" the product key from the UEFI BIOS so that the installation process requires me to input a product key during the installation procedure.

The laptop in question is a Dell Inspiron 3558

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

If you unmarry or remove the product key from the laptop.... it becomes lost entirely... just an FYI... since the product key was already associated to that machine and activated.

The only exception to this is if you know the original key... and can convince microsoft that you've replaced it with a completely different key entirely. To which then you might be able to use it on another machine if you like.

without wasting time.... it's best to refer to this instead

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/35979-product-key-uninstall-deactivate-windows-10-a.html

I've performed the process a few times after extracting the key using a free program called "getkey" which is command line based... though i don't know if i can find it online anymore since microsoft apparently disliked it and i can understand why since essentially you could pull anyone's key if you could run the program on said machine with admin privileges... but i think that's irrelevant. Either way it's fairly easy and trouble free in my experience.... as i've moved or shifted a few machines from home to pro or vice versa depending on the application.

The thing is, that 99% of the time, home is all anyone needs.... there is rarely a time that pro would be required. Outside of a few businesses that run POS or certain applications that require the pro version (though after researching them, home would work just fine and still comply.... but the developers insist anyways), majority of home users and businesses would be more than capable without pro.

NOW an alternative would be IF you currently have home on the machine.. is to open command prompt while running windows 10 home... as admin, and typing in "SLUI 4" and then simply hit the change key... put in the pro key and at least for me last time i did it.... windows 10 home would upgrade to pro and a reboot was required... the uefi bios would be updated with the new key and violla.. done.

CDsDontBurn and Mr Cairo like this.
  3. CDsDontBurn

CDsDontBurn AMD & Petrol Heads Mod

I'll give that last bit a shot. The laptop does have win10 Home and like I said in my OP, I believe the key is for win10 Pro because of the error it gets which says (paraphrasing here), "The used product key is not associated to this version of windows 10".

4. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

If it's automatically installing windows 10 home... then the key is actually for the home edition.... HOWEVER if it's claiming it's not for that version of windows 10... then it's likely due to being a N version or single language version (though that's a bit odd)... the exception to the rule however is that the license may be restricted to a type of volume license that was never fully registered or activated properly. I ran into the latter issue not too long ago when i was working on some dell work station that were for NAPA... they were original windows 7 pro machines... the upgrade refused to work.... managed to use the windows 7 keys to proceed with a windows 10 upgrade manually... everything looked activated.... did a wipe and fresh install where no key was requested.. and when the system was completely installed, they refused to activate. I had luckily replaced the original drives with new SSDs... so i popped the old ones in... loaded up the original windows 7.... used a key extractor on it.... and then reused the key after reloading on the ssd, and finally it activated.

This isn't the only time that a weird or prebuilt laptop/desktop/etc either doing an upgrade or doing a fresh install has managed to bugger something up due to the contracts that whatever the OEM agreed to, specially if they are for commercial use and were "economical", much akin to that of how bloody stupid it was for HP and numerous others to use windows 8.x "with bing" which made it impossible to do a clean install due to no such product existing as a installation media form, and they all used a different key disallowing the use of a genuine clean 8.x disk.