Network icon shows red X

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by Mr Cairo, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Hi Guys ...bit of an odd one and its my own PC thats giving me the problem

My Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 (yeah it a bit old but all I can afford at the moment) and I use a wired Cat7 cable to connect to the router/Modem about a month ago the onboard Lan showed a red X by the Network I con in the taskbar and no amount of uninstalling/reinstalling updating etc could get rid of it (the message I would get from the troubleshooter was along the lines of the NIC being in a deep sleep)

I plugged in a wifi dongle and used that for a few days while I purchased a basic plugin Realtek Nic card online, that arrived I installed that (win 10 detected it just fine and installed the driver) and everything worked just fine until about a week ago when I noticed I could not connect and there was a red X by the network icon

ended up just uninstalling the Nic in device manager, did a quick refresh windows dected it and I was back online ..but then it happened again and again and again ...... it can happen several times a day or go for a week with no issues but at some point I am back to the Red X ...

so thats the onboard Nic and the plugin Nic both having the red X .. wifi works fine but I prefer wired for my main tower, no new software nothing different at all from 6 months ago other that the Win 10 updates ... any ideas ?

2. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Cable damaged? Router dying in part?

3. Mr Cairo

Nah its neither of those I have replaced the cable and the Router is a new model from Virgin less than 2 weeks old (issue started a while before that), Windows Network troubleshooter is telling me that the Nic is in deep sleep so I think that the issue is the NIC card, its just odd that the onboard and replacement slot in seem to have the same issue

4. Trusteft

That's why I'm having problem believing it is network card problem. But if the problem started with a previous router and continues with this and you tried this with different cables, I guess it could be a Windows 10 issue. You don't by any chance have another OS installed there? Or a liveCD (if they are called that nowdays) to see if the problem remains with a different OS.

5. Mr Cairo

nope nothing like that, I am going to take a chance and get another nic card (they are only about a tenner) and see what happens

6. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

This is reminiscent of a classic corruption, drive failure perhaps.

It's kind of interesting how things like this happen. While something similar was happening, i had another few machines that the audio driver would bugger up and eventually got the user a usb audio controller which worked for about 3 months before it too refused to work.... even though it would work on another machine right away.... replacing it with yet another audio device of a different flavour, it worked for roughly another month... I had told them previously that replacing it wasn't likely to solve the problem, that there is clearly a deeper issue occuring but wouldn't let me run a full diagnostic.

In almost all the cases where weirdness has occured, it either ended up being a hardrive failure occuring (slow).. OR physical memory error.

In the case of the hardrive failure, what was happening was that certain files that controlled the audio or network or some other component in other machines, had gotten so corrupted and that windows wasn't even able to properly overwrite or move existing or new information for whatever device needed it, no amount of the troubleshooter would report anything helpful, deep sleep, or no error detected, or unable to whatever. Specific sectors on the mechanical drive were showing degradations/bad... and it was slowly getting worse. The user attempted a system recovery on one laptop i had to work with which helped for about half a year before the problems came back 2 fold worse.

In the cases which thorough testing was needed to figure it out, the physical memory has been a common problem in similar situations, including situations where BSODs occured, however using memtest to "TEST" the memory even over a long week even, would show no errors (this was why it took me a bit longer to figure out the problem with some of these situations, however now i don't give it much thought and simply swap memory to see if that helps).

So in the cases of the memory testing fine, i just grab another set of memory that i tend to trust... for example a set of kingston modules i tend to keep around as they usually seem to be pretty damn reliable, sure they may not have the same kind of performance... but it's good to narrow down the problem FAR faster than just assuming that the memory isn't at fault.

7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

Are you still runnign Windows 8?

Static IP, or DHCP?

Are you running any anti-virus or anti-malware software?

VPN?

Here's an odd one: what is the date and time set to in Windows?

8. Mr Cairo

Judas I have a spare set of Memory I will drop that in tomorrow and see if the problem persists .. I am wondering if the fact that my onboard NIC and the NIC I purchased are both realtek is a factor I do like them but might try a generic NIC card on the off chance

Tipstaff im on Win 10, I have the basic windows defender and I tend to install Malwarebytes once a month run it and then uninstall it

I dont use a VPN and the date and time are all correct ...

Other than this the PC is running great and

9. Trusteft

That was the last time Mr Cairo was seen.

Mr Cairo likes this.
  10. Mr Cairo

Spare memory in running on just 8 GIG now ......its like the Dark ages :)

11. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

you may need to still reset windows due to the previous damage done to the files.... but i'd say see how things go?