No video signal to monitor.

Discussion in 'Hardware Discussion & Support' started by riseagainst541, Jan 10, 2009.

1. riseagainst541

riseagainst541 New Member

Hello

I have been using my current PC for about 2 1/2 years now, and just recently every time I turn it on, I get the no signal to the monitor. At first I thought the monitor had stopped working so I plugged into an older machine and it worked just fine.

After that I tried to just let the computer boot up all the way and tried to log into Windows while I had my speakers turned up. It let me log in just fine, I heard the Windows log-in chime sound, so I am worried that it could be my video card, but could the error lie elsewhere as well?
  2. nicnik

nicnik In the Land of Snow

Try another graphics card and if it works then it's highly likely your existing graphics card that is the culprit.

You can also try putting that graphics card into your old rig, assuming same slot fitting, and if it doesn't work then you can bet the graphics card is to blame.

Now if the above 2 scenarios are not the case then it may be the motherboard that is damaged.
    If you use any DVI-VGA adapters, try changing it too if you run out of ideas.
  3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

2 questions: 1) do you see anything during bootup such as your bootup sequence and such, or is black it from the start? 2) does your motherboard have onboard video?

If your computer has built in video, just as a test, try hooking up your monitor to that connection instead. If it works it could be an indication of 2 things: 1) your video card has failed or isn't being detected, in which case the onboard is taking over, or 2) the video card isn't seated properly in the graphics slot, and again, the onboard would take over.

So, what you need to do is shut your machine down, remove and then reinstall your video card, then boot the machine back up with the monitor connected to the video card. If it doesn't work at this point switch the cable to the onboard video connector while the computer is still on, and if shows up then it's a good bet that the video card is faulty, or is still not being detected by system. If you can use this card in another machine, do so, and if it works in that computer then it could something else within machine that is causing the problem.

Edit: BTW, it would be helpful to know a bit more about your system, including what graphics card you are using, what operating system, and what motherboard (brand, model number). If it's a brand name computer, let us know which brand/model.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  4. riseagainst541

I am on a HP Pavilion m7580n PC

The screen is black from the start and the motherboard does not have an onboard video card. I have tried to reinstall the video card and still the same problem is occuring. I have also tried to put the video card into my brothers computer and it is not working there either.
  5. Tipstaff

Actually, there is. On the back panel do you notice a black cover between the PS2 and USB ports? It looks like this:

[​IMG]

It says, "Do not remove" on it. If you unscrew the cap you will find a VGA monitor port. The board you have runs on a nForce 430/Geforce 6150 LE chipset. They put the plug there so that you don't mistakenly use it instead of the Geforce card they've installed.

That right there tells me that the video card is busted, and that it's booting to the onboard video. If the system is under warranty I'd give HP a call for a replacement. Otherwise you will either have to go with buying a new one (or scrounge one up), or you could live with the onboard video (just need to get the drivers for it, which you can from HERE).

Of note, give THIS page a read. This is the page HP/Compaq has on the board (made by Asus, btw) they've used in that case, with a complete spec listing, and board layout. The good thing to note is that the board has a PCIE (PCI Express) graphics slot, meaning it's a current slot, and getting a replacement shouldn't be too difficult.
    IEMC likes this.
  6. riseagainst541

I feel kind of dumb saying this now, but I put the graphics card back into my brothers computer, and it worked, I think last time I didn't fully seat it into the computer, so it wasn't working. I am on his computer right now, using the graphics card that was in my computer. So, if the graphics card is working, would the problem be something loose elsewhere?

I unscrewed the cover for the onboard card and I am using it right now. Since the graphics card worked in the other computer and not this one, but the onboard graphics are working would the problem be with the pci-e slot in the motherboard?
  7. Trusteft

Trusteft HH's Asteroids' Dominator

Try to put the graphics card back in yours and be sure it is sitted properly.

What is the graphics card and how many Watts is your PSU?
  8. Tipstaff

It's possible that the slot is bad, but more likely that the computer isn't detecting it anymore. In either case you would need to plug in a card to determine that. So in this case, does your brothers machine have a graphics card too? If it does, try it on yours to see if anything comes up.

BTW, I have had instances (very rare instances, btw) where a power supply wasn't able to boot the system with the graphics card installed, so it defaulted to the onboard (this doesn't happen with cards that require extra power, just ones that pull their power from the slot itself). This usually happens when the power supply is going, or already is bad. I'm not suggesting this is the case with your computer, but it is something to consider.
  9. LilRazor

LilRazor Active Member

Hmm that happen to my cousin when his monitor had no signal from the gfx card
    its mostly the motherboard pcie slot went bad like tipstaff said.
  10. riseagainst541

Sorry about not being able to reply for a few days, I was out of town and had no internet connection.

Before I left I had used the onboard video card and the computer was working fine and then I shut it off and put back in the 7300 and made sure it was properly seated in the slot and I was amazed to see that the computer was working with the 7300 in the PCI-E slot.

Unfortunately that didn't last to long. I was booting up the computer this morning using the 7300 and there was a power surge at my house and it turned my computer off while Windows was booting. I went back to turn the power on and the same problem was happening again. It would boot up, but the 7300 wouldn't display anything on the monitor, at the moment I am using the onboard card again trying to figure out a solution.

You guys suggested that the PCI-E slot may be bad, but would the fan still turn on if the slot was bad. Because I have the card in the computer right now and the fan is spinning.

Could it be that my PSU is slowly withering away and it can't boot the computer with the video card?
  11. Tipstaff

The fan on the card doesn't use all the much power, so the fact that it's turning doesn't say much. Thing is that the power supply can feed the card just enough power to run that fan, yet not enough to power the card. So yes, it could be that that PSU is dying. However, it could be the board too since all the power to the video card has to go through it too, and the ony way the card will work is when it's plugged into it too. This is why it's best to test the card in that computer with another power supply (remember, the card worked in your brothers computer, so that's a different mother board, and different power supply). If the card runs fine with a different power supply in your computer, consistantly, then you have your answer, but if it doesn't, then you've just ruled it out, and that leaves the motherboard.

Thing is that the card could still be screwd up. This is another reason you need to test another card in that computer too since you will eventually need to figure out if the board is bad if a new, or different power supply doesn't work out.
  12. riseagainst541

Ok, so I got my brother to loan me his 500W PSU and his 9600GT.

I hooked em both up and the same thing is happening. The fan on the card is on, but there is still no output signal from it, I used the DVI-to-VGA adapter that was with the card and still nothing. So would this mean that the motherboard is the cause of this whole problem? If so, then why did the 7300 work for the short time that it did?
  13. Tipstaff

Take a look at the capacitors on the motherboard. Are any of them bulged up or have a brown/yellow colored stain on the metal tops (almost like a water stain)?
  14. riseagainst541

From what I could see there weren't any with the brown/yellow colored stain.
  15. Tipstaff

At this point the only other thing I can think of is to update the bios on your motherboard. The last bios for your board is THIS one. The only problem is that it might be the same one you already have, but it's worth a try. You can also, at the very least, do a reset of the CMOS to load the defaults (you can do this by following the instructions on that spec page I linked to HERE, and at the bottom you will see the instructions for doing a bios clearing). Just make sure to write down the settings in case you need to input some of them back to get things running (such as how you have your SATA/IDE setup). It's possible that the bios itself isn't seeing the video card, and thus not switching over to it as it should. You will need to remove the video card in order to do both of these things, btw. If neither work then there's not much else I can think of to help other than to contact HP/Compaq to see if they can replace the motherboard for you.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, when you have the video card installed, and it doesn't display any video, have you tried switching the cable over to the onboard video connector when it's on? And if so, did it display anything? This would be an indication that the onboard is functional at this point, and a sure bet that the motherboard isn't detecting the video card.
  16. riseagainst541

Well suprisingly enough that BIOS update wasn't the one that I had, but after I installed it, the same problem was occuring.

I reset the CMOS and still no change.

And yes, I have the video card installed as I type this and I am using the onboard video card to use this computer currently.
  17. Tipstaff

That right there indicates the board isn't switching over like it should be, which means it's not detecting a card inserted into the slot.

Definitely give HP a buzz, and find out if they'll replace it for you. Even if it costs money it might be less than buying a new board elsewhere, and you might even get away with not having to reinstall your system if they send you the same board. If they won't replace it for you then you'll have to look for something compatible with what you got (unless you consider upgrading at the same time). In which case I'd look to Asus seeing as how they made the board you have now for HP in the first place. If you can find it look for the M2NPV-MX as it's the closest match to what you have. It'll be hard to find though.