Nvidia Vanta problems

Discussion in 'NVIDIA Graphics Cards' started by nieves, Apr 13, 2003.

1. nieves

nieves personality tweaker

I'm not kidding. I'm really trying to install this "state of the art" piece of crap video card in my computer. I've sold my video card and until my Gainward Geforce3 Ti Golden Sample arrives, I'm stuck with a 16megs Vanta.

I can't make it work. I've tried Detonator 43.xx, both using the install kit and the advanced installation where I provide the path to the inf file.

When I'm installing it using the distribution package in the normal way, it says in the end that installation is ok and I'm prompted to reboot, which I do, but the drivers won't install, all I get is the VGA drivers.

When I'm doing an advanced installation, the error i get finally is "An error occured during the installation of this device. The data is invalid".

Of course, I've uninstalled the previous card (also Nvidia, but a Geforce2) and I've cleaned the system with Driver Cleaner.

One thing I could think of is a problem with VIA drivers. I couldn't find a link for VIA Hyperion uninstall, so I ran the installation package again and chose uninstallation of the drivers. It worked, but Vanta did not install this time, either.

Scratch that, I've even uninstalled everything VIA from Device Manager and tried the Detonator install once more. No such luck.

I get the unsigned driver prompt every time I try to install, I click "continue", but the driver won't install, no matter what.

I'm thinking maybe an application is locking my current VGA driver, but I'm not running any. I quit Riva Tuner and Powerstrip, but it did not help.

Maybe it has something to do with AGP. But it doesn't work with Hyperion, it doesn't work without Hyperion.

What else to try? I'm lost...

Pissed off really bad 'cause VGA mode is not fun :(

Any ideas how to fix this?
  2. Matth

Matth Flash Banner Hater

My first thought - do these DX9 drivers support that old card - well, it's in the INF.

You might try going backwards a few, a 30.x, a 28, maybe even a 21 or earlier.

You should also, as a stopgap, have the option of the generic SVGA driver.

One thought, have you assigned an IRQ to VGA in BIOS - Nvidia cards seem to be jittery in that - somtimes they need it, and sometimes they don't.

If you can tolerate the possible reshuffle and reload of many drivers, I'd also try clearing the plug&play config in BIOS - this MAY result in resources being shuffled (actually, that's the idea!) and any cards with changed resources will normally go through driver reload.

NOW I remember - a guy at a computer fair was having exactly the same kind of problems - no idea if he ever fixed it!
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2003
  3. BWX

BWX unplugged

I have an old Nvidia Vanta 16mb in the closet, My backup would be a GF2 GTS, but I couldn't have my mom viewing her Photos on a Vanta that came in her computer so I donated my GTS for a good cause. -- LOL--

my Vanta has a big fan on it an OC's to something like 160/170, really high oc compared to default-- I have never tried it in a modern rig but there isn't any reason it shouldn't work- It was in an Athlon 750 with a FIC azll (200mhz fsb w/ agp and pc100 ram).

Have you tried NFR (nvidia file remover) from Guru3d? I just started using that a few weeks ago and it really works great. Might want to use that or another cleaner to make sure, just a thought. Maybe turn down your aperture to 32mb in bios too? Maybe also you could make sure ALL nvida folders are removed from C: drive and registry before installing.
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2003
  4. nieves

I finally traced the problem. I found several registry keys in HKey_Local_machine => System => CurrentControlSet => Enum that were set as read only. The driver settings could not be written in the registry as needed. I had to set the permissions to "allow full control" for the child branches going from there. It worked... The card is installed properly and I can enjoy it's true power. 1200 marks in 3DMark2001 :) Yay!

It is odd because if the keys were read only why could I install 43.xx for my old Geforce2? What on earth happened to XP, setting read only keys like that? I didn't do it...

Thanks for the help!

BTW, IRQ assigned to VGA is better left disabled if possible. It should yield better peformance.
  5. nieves

Anyway, it could have been worse. At least I'm not having problems with VIA drivers, which I did suspect from the start.

This one has no fan and the sink for it is rather loose, so I'd better not play with it. It has to last at least 10 days till my Gainward arrives. I can barely wait...

I never understood this AGP aperture stuff in bios. Is it usefull to allocate a larger chunk of memory? Like using 64megs if I have a 32megs video card?

I'll look into that NFR utility, ASAP. Driver overinstall is never an option and I'm usually worried about leftovers that could mess things around. Thanks!
  6. BWX

BWX unplugged

You will like NFR- it's really simple and works great.
  7. Asuka

Asuka BANNED

Originally posted by nieves
    I'm not kidding. I'm really trying to install this "state of the art" piece of crap video card in my computer. I've sold my video card and until my Gainward Geforce3 Ti Golden Sample arrives, I'm stuck with a 16megs Vanta.

Umm, just curious... why did you buy a vintage GF3? :hmm:
  8. nieves

Re: Re: Nvidia Vanta problems

Money? Yep, that's the reason. I would buy a better card, but I don't plan to spend more than $100 on a video card. It's either that Geforce3 Ti or Geforce4 MX 440. Or maybe an ATI 9100, I'm not sure about that... I'm talking alternatives here because the Geforce3 Ti I was promised does not seem to arrive... I'm stuck with this Vanta until I get something, anything...
  9. The_Neon_Cowboy

The_Neon_Cowboy New Member

you'll need the older detanators i guess .... I hav the first version of them released on cd
  10. nieves

I have installed Windows Server 2003, final build. It has installed a driver for Vanta which works just fine. It does not have openGL support, but I don't care about it since I don't plan to play games using this crappy video card, anyway.
  11. Asuka

Asuka BANNED

Re: Re: Re: Nvidia Vanta problems

Originally posted by nieves
    Money? Yep, that's the reason. I would buy a better card, but I don't plan to spend more than $100 on a video card. It's either that Geforce3 Ti or Geforce4 MX 440. Or maybe an ATI 9100, I'm not sure about that... I'm talking alternatives here because the Geforce3 Ti I was promised does not seem to arrive... I'm stuck with this Vanta until I get something, anything...

$100 for a GF3!? :duh: :hmm: :dead:
    Granted, it's still a great deal better than a GF4MX, but you can still surely get something better there! :eek:
    Let's take a look at www.pricegrabber.com ...
    Now there's a fine card:
    Gainward GeForce4 PowerPack! Ultra 650-8X GeForce4 Ti4200-8X AGP 8X 64MB DDR for only $111! :eek:
    Ok, it's $11 above your $100, but for that you get a huge improvement over a really $hitty GF4MX or a still very crappy GF3.
  12. BWX

BWX unplugged

I just installed the old VANTA 16mb in my machine- I had to- both other cards going back for a refund until I then I need this one- I had ATI drivers and a 9700pro in there- Shut down the PC- installed Vanta- turned on is safe mode- uninstalled ATI drivers- Shut down PC- turned back on and Installed Detonator 43.45's without a problem at all-- I actually had to replace the fan on the vanta because the other one was so full of dust it wouldn't move:( ------- I put my old gigabyte fan on there and I can OC the Vanta t 160/160!!!! I player rtcw for a while to see what it would do-- I could blat it at 1024x768 woth 32mb textures and colors and 2x AF!-- not great framerate-- but almost playable.....

These drivers do work for the Vanta though-- All drivers do-
  13. nieves

Re: Re: Re: Re: Nvidia Vanta problems

Thanks for the links, but...

The prices here (Bucharest, Romania) are much higher on the same products. Quick example:

Abit Siluro GeForce4 Ti4200-8X, 250 / 500 MHz, 64MB - $180
    GAINWARD GF3 PowerPack Ti/500 TV JUMBO Ti200 128MB 5.0ns DDR TvO - $190

and here's the card you're recommending me:

GAINWARD GF4 PowerPack Ultra/650 TV/DVI Golden Sample Ti4200 64MB 3.3ns DDR - $200 !!

I really can't afford to spend $200 on a video card...

In the end, I might buy an ATI 9000 Pro for $110. It's the fastest card I can afford. Fortunately, I'm not much of a gamer, so I won't be needing the best (or anything close to the best) on the market.