old school Sapphire radeon 9600xt 256mb. what drivers?

Discussion in 'AMD Graphics Cards' started by Junkerz, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Junkerz

Junkerz New Member

i have everything installed windows xp sp2, net.1,2,3. i have been trying to get a good stable driver but with no success. I had it the 9600xt for a long time and it was working fine... but i went and formated my computer without memorizing the driver and now i am searching again. Please anyone help me out, ive tried all the latest drivers but they crash me into black screen. the format was recent, and before that i was playing for 23 hours no stop without any problems.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.090804-1412)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: VIA
    System Model: P4VT8+
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.06GHz (2 CPUs)
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    Page File: 196MB used, 2265MB available
    Windows Dir: D:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    Card name: ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series
    Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
    Chip type: ATI Radeon Graphics Processor AGP (0x4152)
    DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4152&SUBSYS_7C29174B&REV_00
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: SyncMaster 905DF(X)/955DF(X), MagicSyncMaster CD195A(P)
    Monitor Max Res: 1792,1344
    Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6925 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)

its not overheating i know this and the card is still in good shape because i had it running Counter strike source for about 20mins and then i get black screen, and have to reboot computer

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  2. IvanV

IvanV HH Assassin Guild Member

Try these: ATI Catalyst? Legacy Display Driver

If they fail, try these (or maybe try them first, they worked flawlessly for me on a 9800Pro for months so it should be fine for a 9600XT :)): ATI Catalyst 9.3. I'm not sure what version is on that machine now, I can look in the morning if needed.

3. Junkerz

Junkerz New Member

Ive downloaded the 9.11 but there is something not compatible with it and my graphic card cause when i tried to do Direct X 8 & 9 test they failed..
    currently i am using the latest omega driver 4.8.442 but it also freeze my screen during games or black screen, but it can atleast pass the direct X test.

4. IvanV

Try the 9.3 then, those were the last Catalysts before 9600 cards were moved to legacy support and as I said, they worked really well on my 9800Pro, which is a card from the same generation as yours. :)

5. Junkerz

Junkerz New Member

Nope those drivers arent working for me, i dont know why.. 9.3 wont work for me

D3D8 Test Result: Failure at step 29 (DrawIndexPrimitive): HRESULT = 0x8876017c (Out of video memory)
    D3D9 Test Result: Failure at step 29 (DrawIndexPrimitive): HRESULT = 0x8876017c (Out of video memory)

but if i goto Omega 4.8.442 it works.. idk why this is happening

6. comp_ali

comp_ali Sniper

Did you install the AGP hotfix as well

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood HH's curmudgeon

+1 on that

8. IvanV

I think that AGP hotfix is just for HD 2000 cards and newer, that's how I understood the matter and I've never had problems with any driver with the old 9800Pro. I Googled your problem and couldn't find anything definitive, but you may try to install the latest DX, apparently it sometimes gets messed up.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  9. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

hotfix isn't required.

I've 2 machines here with completely different ATI Radeon 9600XT's... both are 128mb though.

the 256mb versions were highly uncommon.

the 9.11's work great so i'm guessing there is a possibility that the drivers are not detecting your video card correctly and it may be due to the extra memory on board throwing it off or something.

Have your tried any games to see if they give you any form of error?

The 9.11's/9.3's.8.12's and below would be your best bet, just started working down the line.

10. Junkerz

Junkerz New Member

So i have installed 8.11 and its working i can play CSS for about 20mins and then black screen of death. i need to reboot my computer with the reset button.
    I have put all the graphic settings lowest. AA=2 AF=0

11. Teme

Teme Super Moderator Staff Member

are the system temps ok?

sounds like overheating issue...

12. Junkerz

Junkerz New Member

Yes i cleaned it all and my cpu is around 32'C and my graphic card is at 35'C. there is no dust. i used presurized air can

13. anonemus

anonemus 80 Plus Certified

Not sure if this'll help...for 9.3 try updating to SP3 and use the latest DX9 (Feb 5, 2010)?

14. Fantasma

Fantasma New Member

It may sound weird, but have you installed the latest chipset drivers for the mobo?

15. Nicu Balmus

Nicu Balmus Сказочный долбоёб

try older drivers, like 7.12, 7.11.