Overclocking monitor

Discussion in 'Overclocking, Benching & Modding' started by Neshi, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Neshi

Neshi HH's cuddly Blue Bear

I'm totally into movies and have already installed SVP (smooth video project) to increase the fps of movies to 60 for a smoother experience. However, as most movies are 24fps it isn't a simple multiplication to get to 60. Frames are getting lost etc.
    Therefore I wanted to overclock my monitor to 72Hz (as 3 x 24 = 72).
    My monitor is a Dell P2414H and I've already found out how to do it.

The issue I'm having is that when I set it at 72Hz, my videocard doesn't return to 2d clocks and stays at 3D clocks. Does anyone have experience with this and knows how to fix this?

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

ah... the monitor OCing.... quite a dangerous game ....

With CRTs... it used to be just a matter of pushing it until the screen garbled up or displayed an out of range message.... Now with modern displays.. it's just a matter of either you can or can't.. and if you can... how far before it too displays an out of range... the only problem is... i've seen the results of OCed monitors that eventually resulted in it's complete failure.

I'd be careful though.. 72hz isn't that bad however (many run at 75hz still)

Now i do know that some people have reported that anything higher than 60hz using nvidia graphics cards has resulted in stuck 3D clocks.... and that using msi afterburner would be able to use hotkeys to fix this by creating a profile that would reset to 2D clocks.

The same i would think would apply to AMD's cards too as a potential solution.

3. tastyweat

tastyweat Lurking

Why not just set your monitor to the same frequency as the movie?

Most movies aren't 24 anyway... they're really 23.976... so even setting your monitor to 72Hz will result in dropped frames or screen tearing.

Quite a few monitors and most TVs support the proper 24p format of 23.976fps... so it's usually best to set your monitor to that or use a piece of software to do it for you (Kodi is good for that).

You'll find the best experience that way... as any higher refresh rate that actually has any effect on the content could only be subject to interpolation and they're all pretty bad to be honest... a lot of TVs call it intelligent frame creation or other such names and it's still quite an imperfect option.

4. Neshi

The out of range thing happened to me. Quick boot into safe mode to delete the profile fixed it.
    Booting into safe mode in windows 10 + SSD is quite hard, as F8 no longer works. Not being able to see anything on the monitor other than the warning message makes things a lot harder. (but 3 hard resets and the message came up which allowed me to restart into safe mode).
    I think you have to really make an effort to stuff up a monitor though, it has so many safe-guards in place.

I think I'll just stick to 60fps and run SVP. It is way smoother and I don't even think I'll notice a couple of dropped frames.
    Too much fiddling around and while I had 72Hz successfully, I don't want my gfx card constantly on 3D clocks.

5. Judas

to get into safe mode is extremely easy eliminating the rush to key in f8..

just go to settings.... then to update and security.. then to recovery.. then click advanced startup.... it'll shutdown and present you with options.... of which is start in safe mode ...

6. Neshi

It is easy when you can see the desktop.
    Like I said, a black screen with the warning stating "The current input timing is not supported by the monitor" was all I could see.
    I couldn't click anything or choose anything... so my hard reset method was the only solution.

7. Judas

ah yes...