PS4: The Frozen Wilds - Video Blanking

Discussion in 'Gaming Discussion' started by Dyre Straits, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Dyre Straits

Dyre Straits 10 Grandkids, 5 boys and 5 girls!

I'm having a very annoying issue while trying to play this DLC to Horizon Zero Dawn!

Every few moments, the video blanks out for about 3-4 seconds. Audio continues unabated.

I did read that a couple of default settings for video were to blame. So, I changed those to disable or No. But, the issue continues.

Only because the game is so good is why I even continue to put up with this. But, is there any suggestion as to what to try in addition to disabling the Deep Color and the other (Can't remember the setting offhand)?

The system is updated. The only thing I've done with the PS4 lately is to add a USB external drive for storage....NOT extended storage, however....just to copy media....screenshots and video stuff.

2. Dyre Straits

So far, nothing I've tried to change in settings has fixed this EXTREMELY ANNOYING/IRRITATING/AGGRAVATING problem! Even setting resolution at 720p didn't fix it. And, I'm really not interested in playing any game at 720p.

AND, FWIW, it seems this problem is all too common from the posts I see online.

So, if anyone comes across a good suggestion, I'm open to any valid suggestion.

BUT, I'm quite inclined to not play again until I get some kind of fix for this.

3. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of, outside of the PS4 being the issue, is to try a different HDMI cable (to rule it out), and try connecting it to a different TV or monitor (using the current cable first, then a replacement) to see if it's an issue with the TV.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  4. Calliers

Calliers HH's MC Staff Member

He did say this is happening to other people too.

5. Dyre Straits

Fingers crossed that....whatever it was I did...fixed it! I did a few things:

1. Unplugged and plugged in the HDMI cable at both ends.
    2. Powered OFF the PS4 with the power button...instead of going to Rest mode and/or Shutting it down from the Settings option.
    3. Tried playing another game...AC: Freedom Cry...and had NO issue at all with it after over an hour's play.
    4. Just played about an hour and a half of FW and no video cut out at all.

Will see tomorrow night if it still works.

And, BTW, if you haven't played this game and the DLC, you're missing a fantastic game and story.

Calliers and Mr Cairo like this.
  6. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

This was my favourite games from last year but I have not gotten around to the DLC yet, I am trying to finish Wildlands, The Witcher and Battlefront 2 .... just to many games but after all of that I intend to get back to the Zero Dawn DLC

Dyre Straits likes this.
  7. Tipstaff

Tipstaff Well-Known Member

True, but since there's no mention of what those others or Dyre tried I gotta start my advice somewhere.

In this case, I've seen HDMI cable be the cause of all sorts of issues. Been there myself where my TV would cut in and out while using one specific cable from an HDMI switch to the TV (a damn RedMere directional cable of all things). Swapped it with the cable running from my Xbox 360 to the switch, and I haven't had a problem since. If I go device to TV, no problem there either.

I've also seen TVs have issues with their inputs, where the processing board would just flake in and out whenever a certain signal was being sent to the TV.

On the same note, the device could be a the problem. I run my Bell Fibre box to my Samsung HD TV, and it always defaults to 1080i. Can't for the life of me get 1080p to work longer than 2 seconds,, yet all my other devices.. 1080p. No problem. Can't tell you how many cables I've tried.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Dyre Straits, Mr Cairo and Calliers like this.
  8. Calliers

Oh no, I wasn't knocking you trying to advise him on things to do, maybe I should have been clearer, I was trying to rule out the PS4 as a problem. But of course he has to be thorough. I'm glad that it's fixed now though. :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  9. Dyre Straits

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed! I won't deem it to be fixed until I've finished the game. :)

10. Calliers

LOL, my heart would just sink if your PS4 was on the brink. ;)

11. Dyre Straits

So, don't you know it, You're a Poet! :)

12. Calliers

I'm black, it's in my blood! :p

Jokes aside, I would be sad if anything happened to your PS4 so soon (you've only had it like what a year and a half), I did give my old Xbone to a friend, well it was only a few months old, and he had it for just shy of 6 months, he told me that thieves had broken into his place and it was one of the things they took. I was saddened by his story, not only because he was my friend and thieves had taken his stuff, but also because he now couldn't enjoy what I had intended for him to enjoy.

Dyre Straits likes this.
  13. Dyre Straits

So far, so good!!! Just finished about an hour and a half of the story and no black out video. :)

Calliers likes this.
  14. Dyre Straits

Just to update: There has been no further video problems with the game.

And, if anyone plays this, do not, I repeat, DO NOT skip any of the side missions! The game is just simply fantastic and some of the battles are just epic! (I've probably helped myself a bit in this area by having my character at Level 55, though. :) )

Mr Cairo likes this.
  15. Mr Cairo

Mr Cairo Require backup .... NO

Once I get through the Witcher and finish off Wildlands then replay through Until Dawn ... I will go back to Horizon play through right fro the start and then have a go .... probably looking at about June :)

Dyre Straits likes this.
  16. Dyre Straits

Have you ever played a game and didn't want to do the last mission? I'm at Level 56....or is it 57?...and could easily finish the story. BUT, I don't want this game to end so I keep putting it off.

Calliers likes this.
  17. Dyre Straits

This was such an incredible journey/story!!! IMHO, it's going to be hard to top this one!

Calliers likes this.
  18. Dyre Straits

Supposedly, it's suppose to be EASY to use a back up storage drive with the PS4 and transfer screenshots and videos from the USB Storage drive to a Windows PC. "Supposedly" seems to miss the point as, when I place the USB Storage drive on my PC, it's not finding ANYTHING at all.

Suggestions?

I'm using a 2 TB USB hard drive as an extra Storage drive on the PS4.

19. Calliers

Hmmmm, you should maybe start a new thread?

Dyre Straits likes this.
  20. Dyre Straits

Well, the purpose for the question was in order to upload a screenshot ... or a few ... from the game. But, if game discussion isn't meant for this thread, I can do that, too. :)