Radeon 9200 on Compaq NX7000 vs. Win 7 VgaSave driver

Discussion in 'Mobility Modder Discussion' started by tecc, Sep 11, 2016.

1. tecc

tecc New Member

I was able to mod several versions of the ATI Mobility Radeon 9200 driver I found linked from previous threads here on the board. To do so I started the exe and browsered to the driver directory of the unpacked files. But when I start the setup.exe and the catalyst window pops up, shortly I get this message:
    ---------------------------
    Severe
    ---------------------------
    Setup was unable to complete the installation.
    Try to setup your display adapter with a standard VGA
    driver before running setup.

Now, when I open device manager I don't see any graphics adapter listed. Only by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop and selecting 'change resolution' I can go to properties and see the 'VgaSave' listed as driver. There is no button to click or anything to replace this driver and an installation straight from the driver's inf file does not work either.

I've booted in safe mode on 640x480 to replace this standard driver but to no avail. How can I install the modded driver? Thanks!

2. Judas

Judas Obvious Closet Brony Pony

You may have to manually specify an adapter and force install a broken Standard VGA (microsoft) driver... otherwise you can usually force install the hardware by picking it from the list.. and then directing it to the INF file...

But as you may come to experience... some devices... specially hp and compaq... are about the least fun to get working.

3. tecc

tecc New Member

I've tried that but I still could not get the driver to change to the modded one :(

4. tecc

tecc New Member

Any other suggestions? I'd really hate to dump this in the trash.